What’s your favorite cold weather riding gear?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Crazycube
Comrade
Comrade

Re: What’s your favorite cold weather riding gear?

Post by Crazycube » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Oh no, not that kind lol. Ours just have 3 layer sandwich with some kinda gas in them. Keeps them from fogging up. We have balaclavas also. Only things powered are the missus seat and blanket
Crazycube
Master Cubanizer(The long lost art of making stuff work with what you've got)
2014 Ural GU Sage Green AKA мощный

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 am

I just ordered a Hotwired jacket liner and gloves. I'll let you know how it works out.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bacon Andy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Hands are my weak link too. Ural Brush Guards cut enough wind and allow easy access to the handle bars, heated grips, Ski Patrol type glove liners, snowmobile trigger finger mittens, and most important wisdom I learned from Chaos is don't let your hands get cold before you leave to ride. 20 degrees and colder is just damn cold.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
76 Guzzi 850T-3 needs to go, parts bike
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.
WTH? I've never had an original idea!

Happytrails
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Happytrails » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:47 am

MikeonaBike wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm
Well, It’s official, I have a PA 3 wheel license. We took the course in last week’s Nor’easter. One thing I learned quickly was that my hands need more love when riding in the cold, wind and rain.
What are your favorite nuggets of warmth, either gloves, hand guards or heated grips that you use or have used in the past.
The rest of me was plenty warm. My hands didn’t forgive me for a few days.
Thanks
Michael

Cool you did the 3 wheeler course. I saw they offer that near me too. Maybe in the spring I'll give it a try. I'm wonderin if your insurance gave you any break for taking it? Would think a windshield and some kinda hand guards would help a bunch for keeping you warmer. A balaclava would help too. Have heard heated grips are nice but if you get a lot of wind on the back of your hand you might be cold. Heated gloves or glove liners might be worth lookin into. And for wet weather maybe something Goretex or equivalent. Cold wet hands hurt so much. Saw Ural sells them hand guards that look a little like hippo hands. :)

When it gets cold I've been wearing Klim Badlands + Rukka Outlast + Gerbings (older before they switched ownership). Gave layering a try and it worked better than I expected. Bought all the gear on sale/closeouts so not as expensive as it seems. Klim heavily discounts old models when they bring new stuff out and lately they've been doing that more and more. Gerbings did have the great reputation for heated gear. When ownership changed they wanted to get rid of the prior stuff and were almost giving stuff away. Bought there jacket liner and gloves and they sold out pretty quick. The Rukka stuff is interesting. Its supposed to absorb heat and release it to keep you hot or cool depending on the temperature. It works better at keeping you warm than it does at cooling. It works good if your doing layers. Mostly just tried to get stuff that would last for awhile. Have some Firstgear overpants that are insulated when it gets real cold and they are ok. Some reviews raved about em but I just found them to be ok. :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:14 pm
Granted this was before the days of motorcycles having GPS', Cell phones, Biorhythm meters mounted on the bars.
-
Note to self, pick up a biorhythm meter for the Ural...
-
20-ideas.jpg

Image for hand guards. Mine are just cheap plastic things off eBay but surprisingly effective.

Many years ago I read in a magazine the best cold / wet weather gear was actually worn by the bike. Fairing / screen / hand guards / leg shields whatever. Always made sure I had a screen of some description on all my bikes since about 1979 I think.

Latterly I wear textile stuff, as someone else said simply 'cause it's more comfortable and less restrictive to movements than leather. The particular trousers part I'm using are waterproof, however the jacket isn't – well 'shower proof' – so at the mo I use the outer shell part of a North Face 3-way hiking / mountaineering type jacket. Here's me modelling it (and a new Nolan helmet) last January :D
-
-
Nolan Test_1871.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Here's me modelling it
Mike H - REVEALED! :o
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Jdsova
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Jdsova » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 am

I've found that snowmobile equipment is really nice, made for snow :).. my record temp I've road in was -10f.

With that said, I have a Ural metal full windshield, bar warmers, hippo hands, and Snowmobile gloves for hands for +32f and below .
A Snowmobile Jacket . This is my jacket. They had blue for mens, now only the black left
https://www.denniskirk.com/cortech/blac ... 73003M.sku

Snowmobile helmet https://www.ski-doo.com/shop/Men/helmet ... elmet.html for +40F and below. Its the best, like a fighter pilots mask inside, your breath is exhausted outside your helmet. never need to raise visor and heat stays inside.

At +29f, and I add the half leather leg chaps https://www.bikers-wear.com/first-class ... f-chap.htm (protects cold in knees).
then, when it get colder then +20F, I add a lap robe. this gets me to the zero F temps.
When it gets to -3f then I change my half chaps to my full length insulated chaps https://www.bikers-wear.com/first-class ... l-chap.htm.

I still have an extra set (2XX) for sale [$100+ shipping] if anybody is interested.

Now my shoes were steel toes work boots- don't have anything to recommend there.
I only had on Jeans and ss. t shirt under my stuff.

My Cold weather store;
https://www.denniskirk.com/snowmobile/apparel
My leather store;
https://www.bikers-wear.com/

my jacket specs
300 denier Carbolex® Lite outer shell
840 denier Oxford overlay in shoulders and elbows
100% waterproof and breathable membrane
Phoslite® reflective material and Cortech signature reflective rear triangle for increased visibility
Forearm protection pads
Underarm climate control vents
Aqua-Barrier™ under-the-helmet hood (U.S. Patent #8,156,573 and #7,779,485)
Dual zipper entry lower back pocket doubles as climate control exit vents
Two hand warmer pockets, vertical zippered chest pocket, internal cargo pockets, and mobile phone pocket
Fleece-lined collar and cuffs are soft, yet durable
Inner waist drawstring for a cinched fit
Updated stretch Lycra® snow cuff at the wrist with thumb hole
Zip-out liner features warming 200g polyfill insulation in the body, 120g in the neck and 180g in the sleeves wtih waist gaitor
Tether D-ring
ESO™ zippers

From a snowryder in Iowa
J Sova
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
[*]2014 BMW K1600GTL-E-[*] 2014 2WD Ural Red/October GU-[*]
Past mistresses 2 Urals + 9 previous 2w bikes Marion, Iowa

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:42 am

KLIM

arbalest04062
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by arbalest04062 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Hippo Hands and First Gear electric glove liners inside good fabric cold weather gloves. Gerbing electric jacket liner and electronic heat control.
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:41 pm

:lol: My favorite cold weather riding gear is a jacket and a car with a good heater.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

Claus

Post by Claus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:39 am

I wear the A-4 thermosuit.http://art-for-function.com/shop/index.php?cPath=36 This is a special winter motorcycle suit for temperatures below 0°C, absolutely waterproof, very cosy and good to wear. It´s a bit pricey but the only way to ride in winter and keep healthy for me.
On the way to winter rallyes it´s perfect. 500 km at minus degrees are no problem. I have heated grips and gauntlests on the handlebar and a windshield, together with the Heinrich leg shields. That´s perfect.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

ichbinbier
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by ichbinbier » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:05 pm

gobium wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:42 am
KLIM
+1 to Klim

Klim Fusion Gloves
Klim Vector Jacket
Klim Vector Pants
Terra Therma Light insulated boots ( if wet and slushy out I'll wear a pair of Neos over the boots)
HJC FG-17 helmet with pinlock visor and all vent holes plugged.
Thin balaclava in -10°C or less temperatures

Bike:
Stock fairing with 5 cm cut off (snow sticks to the shield and I'm short. Now I can see over it)
Koso heated grips

When temperatures are below -10°C I add Kolpin Geartector mitts and wear thin gloves.
For longer trips I'll add Thermacell insoles to the boots.

The lowest temperature I've ridden in has been -30°C and I was still warm.

Edit: Used to use electric jacket, pants, gloves and insoles but found it took to long to get dressed and limited to the length of the cord. Haven't used them in years.
2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by shiftless » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:49 am

We got the first snow of the season in CT, and we just saw that new Grinch movie. I don't always take my fashion tips from movies, however I have recently begun a quest to obtain a single antler to strap to the top center of my helmet (German half-helm style, in winter a size larger to allow for a balaclava under it). For some reason my wife disagrees. This cold weather gear would have to be stored about new year's, to appear again at the first sign of snow the following winter...
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Rode in my Hotwired jacket liner and gloves today in 35 degree weather. Wow, low setting was plenty. I also like that each peice has it's own controller with off/low/med/hi sewn into it. Easy to control and was comfortable to wear.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Any kind of "barkbuster" hand shield not only saves your hands from getting whacked off-road but helps keep your fingers warmer.
I own a Roadcrafter Kanetsu electric jacket, which is so well made I only ever plug it in below 45F.

Keeping your core warm (heated vest/jacket) helps keep your appendages warm.
If your core isn't warm, your body cuts blood flow to your appendages to conserve warmth as a survival mode.