What’s your favorite cold weather riding gear?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
MikeonaBike
Comrade
Comrade

What’s your favorite cold weather riding gear?

Post by MikeonaBike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Well, It’s official, I have a PA 3 wheel license. We took the course in last week’s Nor’easter. One thing I learned quickly was that my hands need more love when riding in the cold, wind and rain.
What are your favorite nuggets of warmth, either gloves, hand guards or heated grips that you use or have used in the past.
The rest of me was plenty warm. My hands didn’t forgive me for a few days.
Thanks
Michael
2014 Gear Up
“If you wish to go fast, go alone. 
If you wish to go far, go together.” – African proverb

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: What’s your favorite cold weather riding gear?

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Hand guards for me. Really makes a difference keeping the wind chill off. Rain too to a large extent, as a bonus. I have thinsulate lined winter gloves that also have a waterproof layer, unfortunately first time of use I found my hands sweat, then takes forever to dry the gloves out because of the waterpoof layer! :o

So most likely will use my thinsulate deer skin gloves. Which I can't get spares of. :(

Never yet needed heated grips.

PS: (edit) I have a screen too, don't know if you have.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm just not a fan of electrics though there are many good units out there. The original Hippo Hands by Vetter work for me down to below 0F. They havn't been made since the early 80's, you can usually find some on ebay for $40-$50. I put some grommets in for the mirror stalks since the original cutouts didn't line up right. Also a big windshield helps, the Plexistar I have blocks much of the wind from your hands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Don't have heated grips on my cT, but I have had them on other bikes - great addition to have. Currently run with Gerbing (sp?) electric gear and gloves - work well without a windshield in place. When the going gets wet and cold, use textile electric pants as well. If you don't want to use a shield, may I suggest a snowmobile shield/helmet for cold weather riding - keeps the pucker factor down re: visibility. YMMV
'16 cT - Terracotta 22k and climbing
Former bikes
2005 HD Springer Classic
1983 BMW R80RT
1998 Ural Italia
Other toys
2014 EZ GO Golf Cart Limo (gas)

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Elect gear works well if you want/need to deal with it. I've got old school Widder elec gloves and a Widder elec vest vest which I never use in WWA. Where I live it's only down into the 20'sF rarely and if's below that it's middle of the night in which I'm not out ridding anyway. If I were winter tripping waaay up north (YUKON/NWT) I'd bring the gloves/vest along. Anything like plastic hand guards or canvas/leather muffs etc you add to block the cold wind helps "immensely!" For my needs what works best/ideal for me is a combo. Electric grips, cheap sporting goods store snowmobile bar muffs and my thin leather summer gloves. I hate the thick elec gloves for feel/dexterity. You don't need expensive official Hippo Hands brand knock-off muffs, Technically they(HH's) are better quality than the cheap($20?)sporting goods muffs cause even they help,but used with heated grips are plenty adequate. I'd suggest start out with cheap bar muffs and see if you need more. Yeah they look hokey and no they won't win you any "cool/style/fashion" points at the pub. If that isn't enough for you I'd next consider adding heated grips and save the elec gloves option for a last resort. Just my thoughts and YMMV.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Doc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 pm

I have heated grips and just bought Hotwired Heated Jacket Liner Evo and the Hotwired Heated Pants Liner.

https://www.revzilla.com/hotwired

No issues so far.
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Stock Fairing is the best at creating a "bubble" that keeps a lot of cold air off of you.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:31 pm

I don't ride in cold weather.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by on2wheels52 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Gerbings jacket, had it at least 10 years. Been through a couple of controllers though.
'10 Patrol, gone
DL650/Ural tub CB500X WR250R plus a few old crocks

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Heated grips, muffs, thin gloves, boots rated to -25F, lined jeans or overalls, shearling lined leather jacket, balaclava,full face helmet. My coldest ride has been -10F. I am an idiot.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm

MikeonaBike wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm
What are your favorite nuggets of warmth, either gloves, hand guards or heated grips that you use or have used in the past.
Heated grips. They are transformative, more so than any other gear I've used. The Koso Apollo heated grips have an integrated temperature control button on the left grip. It serves to eliminate bulky control panels and the associated wiring.

Heated vest. A warm core equals a safe rider. I use and recommend the Aerostitch Kanetsu Airvantage vest. Connects simply via an SAE pigtail, or a Powerlet plug as the rider requires.

Heated gloves. They supplement heated grips, which aren't much more than palm warmers on the coldest rides. I don't like plug-in wires in my jacket sleeves, so I use gloves with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.

Hand guards. Nothing fancy required here; just something to redirect wind blast. I experimented with bar muffs, but I didn't like the sensation of having trapped hands (this will vary according to each rider).

Synthetic base layers. Another brand recommendation here is Coldpruf; their "Platinum" line uses an effective poly/wool blend.

Honorable mention: Gore-Tex boots. The same lining which makes the boots a bit too warm[ish] during hot weather also serves as a decent insulator until the mercury really drops.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm

German "Kradmantle" if you can find one. I had one & they work great. I also use a British w@* Cotton Riding suit, pants & jacket today. Decent British Clones are available reasonably priced on Ebay.
Both highly recommended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Ural fairing and mud guards help keep the wind off.

Polly inserts can get my grips very warm. High/ low heated pad installed in the Enduro bench seat helps keep my butt warm. Nothing quite like watching the steam come off the grips/ seat if there's a light drizzle.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by shiftless » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:44 am

Knee length leather outside full sheepskin liner double breasted Soviet Naval Officer's coat, modified clips instead of the large buttons to be worked with stiff fingers, and leg straps added at bottom so no billowing out at speed.

Light gloves, but heated grips with leather wind blockers for the hands. Grips wired on a switch for either in series (low) or in parallel (high).

Up to the knee leather sheepskin lined Soviet Officer's boots. Coat/Boots NOS later 1970's vintage.

Balaclava that goes over shoulders, back and chest far enough to have no wind down neck.

White military arctic face mask - cloth.

Cheap googles modified with extra vent holes, and segments of 1/4" gas hose zip tied around the edge to lift the googles off the arctic face mask. Ventilation is necessary to reduce fogging (do also use anti-fogging w@*).

Proven to be fine on the highway at -9F, need mother nature's co-operation to find limits of my gear.During winter, carry Swiss military snow shovel, chemical hand warmer packets, spare gloves, very warm hat in case stuck and need to remove helmet, sleeping bag rated to -15F, small jump starter battery, gym bag with pulleys, carabiners, rope, straps - seat is removed during winter, so all fits in trunk or under the sidecar cover.

It is a running joke at work that I ride to work more in winter than summer, and I always argue that there is more room in our motorcycle parking area.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:46 am

I have a set of the mitten things like Chaos2 posted except mine are neoprene and have Ural on them. They're fleece lined and with a pair of leather gloves my hands stay warm. I rode last winter in 19 deg weather with em with no problems. I also like to wear a toboggan and fleece neck gator under my helmet.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500