Broke the fuel cross-over connector. Now what?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Broke the fuel cross-over connector. Now what?

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Might be easier to put a capped "T" in the crossover line so you can drain the gas out.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Obo Scribe

Post by Obo Scribe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:14 am

I'll start off with the disclaimer that I'm not scientific or highly educated, but with my plastic pipe experiments, it seems to me that so long as the crossover pipe doesn't have an air bubble to begin with, the flow from one side to the other will quite happily go uphill several inches above the fuel level in the tank in order to equalise the levels, so for me, I'm going to leave the crossover pipe over the frame rail. I'm still not convinced, there may be something wrong with the way I did the experiments, but for now it looks like it works fine.
2003 750 Dalesman, 1975 CB400/4, '93 CBR900RR, 2012 DL650, 91 Ducati 750SS . Twenty eight bikes in the last six years, my missus thinks I have a bike problem. :boogie: ..
Chorley, Lancashire, England
'Oboto Sobatmas' - sponsored by Deuchars, fuelled by stupidity. http://obotosobatmas.blogspot.co.uk/

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Almost 2 years ago, I was booed all round for my solution to removing a FULL gas tank. But to this day I'm still using it, & haven't set fire to my BOYS. The best news is I haven't had needed to remove the tank yet either. I used a VERY long crossover tube of ever-pliable Fuel Injection rated fuel tubing routed over the frame far enough to the rear to be lower than the lowest elevation of my tank. My tank cap has a breather hole.
My actual fuel lines to the carbs are the vintage BMW lines with braided cloth covers that stay pliable & are easy to separate from my fuel tap nipple.
The only practical concern I have, is that tank debris could clog the steel nipple portions of the crossover lines. I may ad a vintage fuel filter bowl in the center of my long crossover hose to trap any debris. Hopefully the tank will stop producing it.
So far my fix is still working, & I'm apparently still crazy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Obo Scribe

Post by Obo Scribe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm

I knew I'd seen someone else with the same idea on here, Insubordinator, but I couldn't remember who. Have you ever run out of gas with this setup?
2003 750 Dalesman, 1975 CB400/4, '93 CBR900RR, 2012 DL650, 91 Ducati 750SS . Twenty eight bikes in the last six years, my missus thinks I have a bike problem. :boogie: ..
Chorley, Lancashire, England
'Oboto Sobatmas' - sponsored by Deuchars, fuelled by stupidity. http://obotosobatmas.blogspot.co.uk/