Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by chaos2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:00 pm

windmill wrote:
hotflash44 wrote:
Unlike an oil thread, one doesn't need to choose one or the other, and can use both without diminishing the effectiveness of either. :)
My last oil change on my K75s I mixed leftover 10-40, 5-40, 20-50 dino and syn. Bike seems happy as a clam at 200k. The presence of oil or grease is probably more important than the label of the container :D :cheers:
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Top tip - remove the brake caliper, my dealer didn't when we had to renew the speedo drive gears, almost impossible to get the caliper mounting plate out and back in with the caliper still attached to it (altho not completely inpossible, else he couldn't have done it at all).

Caliper is held on by 2 bolts that are also the pins that hold the pads in, so when unscrewed pads will fall out, there's also spring clips on the ends that have to be removed first, don't lose them!

Needs 3/8" Allen key (should be in toolkit).

When putting bolts back in be very careful not to welly them up too tight, easily stripped (at least one member here has done it!) so I also put them on with thread lock and, just using the Allen key, do them up by just "that much". I.e., tight as you can one-handed using the short key.

I also smeared all my caliper pistons with Brembo grease (safe for seals) to prevent them corroding and seizing.

We had to raise the mainstand onto a block of wood to get enough height to get the wheel out of the fender. Access may be better with lefthand drive Urals (tub on the right).

Going back together, difficulty getting wheel lined onto spline, needed two people one to hold wheel and turn 'til it clicks home the other pushing from the other side, also getting the spindle back in was a total complete PITA, mucho whacking with a big 'ammer was needed. :o

I can't see me doing all that again at the side of the road, 'speshly not on my own, not an ice cream's chance in a gas oven. :o

HTH
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:43 pm

My first project on my M70 was to remove each wheel, and brake including the spare to treat every fastener on each with anti seize, dress the axles for fit, and torque everything to spec when reassembled. This way I can be sure I will be able to configure the spare for each position without any nasty road side surprises or difficulty.
I did the same on my Patrol and never had an issue with the hardware seizing or coming loose on the front disc, or any other fasteners.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 pm

A good suggestion from Barry. My To Do list just gained an entry.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Lofty wrote:A good suggestion from Barry. My To Do list just gained an entry.
As Mr Wazzock mentioned, the axles were freaking tight, especially in the fronts telescopic forks, I ended up dressing them with wet sandpaper. It didn't take much more than removing machining marks, and I was able to do it by hand.

I also added a small hammer and aluminum dowel to the tool kit just in case.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Daisy Cutter

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 am

It makes for a fun weekend project really. I've decided that from now on when I need new tires (Pusher mainly) I'll ride to my dealer and pull the wheel off in his parking lot and while they break the old tire down and mount the new one I'll drop the final drive grease and lube everything up while I wait. I'll pay them to mount the tire to keep from having to wrestle with it but the rest is a piece of cake.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2003 HD Heritage Softail Classic Anniversary Edition

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am

Daisy Cutter wrote:
It makes for a fun weekend project really. I've decided that from now on when I need new tires (Pusher mainly) I'll ride to my dealer and pull the wheel off in his parking lot and while they break the old tire down and mount the new one I'll drop the final drive grease and lube everything up while I wait. I'll pay them to mount the tire to keep from having to wrestle with it but the rest is a piece of cake.
understand completely, but ill bet some here will think,Huh! :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am

I have a independent shop near by and owner mounts tires for me. I've done my share, and then some, at the house, on the side of the road and deep in the woods and swamps, rain and blazing sun, over the years. I know how and have nothing to prove to anyone any more, myself included, I know it's a PITA :roll: . He charges $20.00 and has never damaged a wheel or tire plus he balances them and best yet stands behind his work. It's more to my taste these days to just be fat and lazy and not get dirty if I ain't gotta! :-P
2017 Ural Patrol
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Birdy wrote:I have a independent shop near by and owner mounts tires for me. I've done my share, and then some, at the house, on the side of the road and deep in the woods and swamps, rain and blazing sun, over the years. I know how and have nothing to prove to anyone any more, myself included, I know it's a PITA :roll: . He charges $20.00 and has never damaged a wheel or tire plus he balances them and best yet stands behind his work. It's more to my taste these days to just be fat and lazy and not get dirty if I ain't gotta! :-P
agree, i will probably end up having someone else do the tire change, but im going to try it once, just to prove im a manly man! i did a Honda scooter tire once, but as tough as that stretch was i think the Ural might be worse,we will see, i can always do the walk of shame and carry all the half done stuff to the tire shop. wish me luck! :boogie: :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Daisy Cutter

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Birdy wrote:I have a independent shop near by and owner mounts tires for me. I've done my share, and then some, at the house, on the side of the road and deep in the woods and swamps, rain and blazing sun, over the years. I know how and have nothing to prove to anyone any more, myself included, I know it's a PITA :roll: . He charges $20.00 and has never damaged a wheel or tire plus he balances them and best yet stands behind his work. It's more to my taste these days to just be fat and lazy and not get dirty if I ain't gotta! :-P
+1! And I don’t have to worry about them gouging upmy black rims like I would.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2003 HD Heritage Softail Classic Anniversary Edition

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I like the Anti Seize go through. Great idea.

I would add exhaust bolts to that as well. Nickel high temp is the best (can be used anywhere) copper is awful and should be outlawed IMNSHO
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems