Help identifying my bike

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
ndanl

Help identifying my bike

Post by ndanl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 am

Hi guys, recently I saved the Ural (my guess is that it is an M63) from the pictures, and as soon I figure all the missing links I will start the restoration process.

Meanwhile can someone please help identify if this is an M63?

Also I suspect that the engine is a 650cc, anyone can advise?

I am not sure what model is the gearbox as it looks modified?

I guess that the carburetors are K65?

A serial number is stamped on the engine "204111", any idea if I can get anything useful from this serial?

Much appreciate your help.

DanImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Help identifying my bike

Post by Claus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Dan,
as far as I can see it on your pictures, It could be a M63. The frame and the 6V OHV 650cc engine are typical for that. The cylinder heads have vertical carb fitting, that´s M63 too. (the horizontal adapters are not original. The carbs could be K65 or K63. The gearbox has been modified, the airfilter flange has been removed. In my opinion it is older than the engine but I´m not shure (could be a M72 or K750 Gearbox).
The headlamp shold be original, as is rear fender and gastank. The front fender has been cut to it´s shape.
The final drive, brake drums and the rear shocks are M63 as well, front fork , triple tree and handlebar could be M63

I doubt the voltage regulator works with that generator. It´s for the 150W 12V alternator. Brake light switch is not original, it belongs to the following models. Foot brake lever as well.

Good luck with your restauration. I reckon, this will take a great effort in money and labour time. 100 hours is nothing if you want to do it right.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

ndanl

Post by ndanl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:22 am

I can see there is a flange between the carbs and the cylinder head, is the original design or something aftermarket?

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am

These bikes won't ever be of the stature of other vintage steel that you'd consider classic-vintage on the money market train.
Only to those that are interested in exactly this brand. But good on you for looking to save that little bike. Most here can see the beauty behind it all.
Your labor it sounds like be somewhat enjoyable. Watch your parts costs. For the two vintage bikes I've dealt with ('72 Suzuki TS75 &'66 Honda ca95) I never recouped near what I put into them. But had a lot of fun putting them back together and running again.

My '69 BMW /2 is unrestored and oddly worth much more than what I paid for it. Go figure! Parts, especially OEM new or used are sky-high.
Good Luck with your restoration and keep posting your progress.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Claus

Post by Claus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am

ndanl wrote:I can see there is a flange between the carbs and the cylinder head, is the original design or something aftermarket?

If you read my post, the flanges are not original. They are homemade by some pre owner. There are factory adapters available made from alloy to make the use of K65 or K63 or K68 carbs possible. I personally would buy a pair of Dellorto carbs that are already jetted for Ural. Just install and start up.
To restore old worn out K65 is a pain in the @§§

And stagewex is ablosutely right: Watch your parts costs... Anyway, you won´t get your money back in any way, if you want to restore it and then sell it.
It´s only worth it if you do it for yourself and keep it.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

ndanl

Post by ndanl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:58 am

thank you for your answers guys, I do not intend to sell it, I just want to restore it for me. I have a small monthly budget allocated for doing different works on the bike, also I am not rushing to finish the bike since the winter is coming, but I would like to ride it next year :)

ndanl

Post by ndanl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

so what is your advise on the gearbox? definitely I want to change it and I found one on the local market for about $70, but it doesn't have the reverse gear and I am not sure if it fits, can you tell me for what gearbox exactly should I be looking?

Claus

Post by Claus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

The gearbox you have in right now doesn´t have a reverse gear neither. Do you want to use it with a sidecar? If yes a reverse is not so bad but not mandatory. There was no reverse in the sixties on those bikes. If you want to have a reverse, you need to buy a gearbox of a Ural 650 rig with horizontal air filter flange on top. $ 70 would be very cheap and i doubt it would work without beeing repaired.
If it works ok, you´ve got a cheap gearbox. Not bad, eh? If you plan to buy it, it should have the diagonaly airfilter flange to fit your bike´type optically.

Generally speaking all Ural gearboxes without electric start fit right in. The spline is the same, so are the holes to bolt it down. Dnepr gearboxes with reverse gear would fit to the engine but are about 1 inch longer and with your short frame and the short shaft there might be problems. Chinese Gearboxes off the CJ 750cc ohv and SV engines will fit but I don´t trust them so much. There are two different types of them and one of them is very nasty to get parts for.(have forgotten wich one that was)
And I don´t know how available they are in your country. (where ever you live)
Here in Germany you can buy those parts from a couple of dealers, but must of the stuff is chinese and not of good quality. Or it´s "NOS" but of the kind that´s been brought back to the dealers back in the day because it was defective and lying on the shelf since 30 years.

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:11 pm

ndanl wrote:so what is your advise on the gearbox? definitely I want to change it and I found one on the local market for about $70, but it doesn't have the reverse gear and I am not sure if it fits, can you tell me for what gearbox exactly should I be looking?

Not meaning to pee in your Cheerios but coming from the "money side" of getting freak bikes back on the road. (I like freaks though) Since you don't even know what the bike is how can you think the trans is incorrect/modified? Also why would you be concerned that a likely not yet needed 2 wheel solo replacement gearbox doesn't have a reverse gear?
Again, I'm not degrading you but have dealt with "somewhat economically " restoring personal use freaks. IMHO when restoring to even useable running condition PLAN A is to first figure out what hell you really bought. B is do what service/maint/repairs you need to 'get'er running'. Once running you'll soon enough figure out what needs servicing/repair/replacement. With Plan A in place you'll have a lot less time,grief and money spent regarding needed Plan B parts.Plan C/ possible from stock modification/upgrades are waaay down the road from Plan B.
Unless your time and money are not a concern. PRIORITIZE...then attack. In any physical fight or economic battle leading with your jaw or credit card is NEVER ever a good idea. Figure out what you're dealing with/need before breaking out the plastic.
Kinda cool bike. Ok I mentioned I llke economically viable freaks so I'd get her running-rideable and clean her up grease/dirt wise as you go and enjoy the patina she's earned over a life time. For a personal use rider Patina is earned and to be loved/respected not sprayed on :)
Have fun :thumbsup:
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Claus

Post by Claus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 pm

Good words, Joe. Why not try the existing gearbox . I would, too, first try to find out what I have got and then how to get it running.

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 pm

So.. .. . . will the engine even.rotate?
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

ndanl

Re: RE: Re: Help identifying my bike

Post by ndanl » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:03 am

Lmo wrote:So.. .. . . will the engine even.rotate?
yes, the engine rotates smoothly also there is spark on the sparkplug

rivers

Re: RE: Re: Help identifying my bike

Post by rivers » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:32 pm

ndanl wrote:
yes, the engine rotates smoothly also there is spark on the sparkplug

Those carbs don't look paricularly clean and healthy. In the pics they don't even have the fuel lines hooked up. :?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:56 pm

rivers wrote:Those carbs don't look paricularly clean and healthy. In the pics they don't even have the fuel lines hooked up. :?
Man cut the bike and the guy some slack. :lol: It's a RPOC and a really old one at that.
Hell the fact that it turns and there is spark is impressive in and of itself.

Nice find ndanl, you have your work cut out for you, but you are in the right place.
There are guys here who are a fount of useful info.
And then there are the rest of us... :lol:

When you ask about parts/assemblies, be sure to define what you want...do you want the CHEAPEST part, one that will just WORK, the one that will UPGRADE the problem part or do you want the ORIGINAL part.

Quite often with the older bikes those are four separate answers...sometimes more.

ndanl

Post by ndanl » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:28 pm

I am totally aware that there are haters here too :D and don't mind them they will inspire me even more. I know this is a RPOC and don't want to take road trips through europe with this bike :) at most will drive it a few kilometers around the town on the weekends, I believe this bike deserve a chance to be saved from the wreck yard.

Whenever I will ask for parts/assemblies/help I will make sure that I write as many details as possible.