It's official. As of today, I am retired

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

It's official. As of today, I am retired

Post by thumper05flstsc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 am

Whether I want to be or not. Due to a longer than expected recovery from a surgical procedure, my employer has informed me that as of today, my employment with them is being terminated.

I sold my rig last week because I finally accepted the fact that I will probably never have enough bend in my right knee again to be able to ride it.

On the bright side, a couple days after selling my GU I bought a new Indian Springfield. Although I don't feel confident enough with my knee to actually ride it yet, I did sit on it and am confident I will be able to ride it before long. I will be putting a floorboard relocation kit and a different seat on as they will both give me a bit more room.

I have been looking forward to retirement for several years now but would rather it would have come at a time of my choosing. As the old saying goes, "it is what it is" and I plan on making the best I can of it for now. I think that once I am healed up and my doc give the OK I will more likely than not see if I can find something. I really don't see me being able to do what I was doing however. Seem to recall reading somewhere that Wal-Mart has started using greeters again though. :cheers: :beerchug:
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

Muzzleflash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: It's official. As of today, I am retired

Post by Muzzleflash » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:13 am

Thumper, I retired in 2010 at age 52 and don't regret it one bit. Money's tight, but when isn't it. Hack that Springfield and ride on!
Former Owner of "The Beast" a 2012 GearUp

2015 Indian Chief Vintage married to a Hannigan Heritage Sidecar "Lilli"

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.--John Wayne

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:24 am

I have been out of the workplace for two years now. Started out as my job being downsized, but before I could take a lower paying job at the company I worked at I needed to get a pacemaker. Well the pacemaker then eliminated me from working as a tool and die maker, so I was able to go on Social Security Disability. At 57 and not working was about 13 years sooner then I thought I would quit working.

I had almost two years home alone before my wife retired Jan 1 this year. Now we are still trying out how to share the house.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by wooden nickel » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 am

I retired at 63 because my job in plastics manufacturing was giving me lung problems and recurrent pneumonia.
After 3 1/2 years home, I am still quite happy with retirement and enjoying the company of my wife of 46 years. We don't have a lot of money but we don't spend much on entertainment or eating out so we can take at least one trip or cruise every year.
Like everyone else, I don't know how much time I have left so I am determined to enjoy it now.
Ride when and if you can and do anything else you can to enjoy your retirement.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

DanKearney
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DanKearney » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:27 am

Life is what happens while we're busy making plans. . .

Your good attitude will make it easier. Enjoy while you can.

Cheers,

Dan K.

DaveO
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DaveO » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:35 am

I'm happy for you Mark! I'm pretty sure nobody passes on wishing they had spent more time at work....just sayin'! :)
I'm praying your knee gets right enough for you to enjoy your new Indian real soon! it's beautiful! :) :) :)
'00 CMSI Patrol

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am

Me too, as of last March. At first I wasn't sure if I was unemployed or retired, after scoping out the job market I decided retired would be more enjoyable.
Past afflictions include limey cars and motorbikes, an R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a couple of bicycles, a worn out '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
Dual K&N cones on homemade PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop pipes, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Revtech100
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Revtech100 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:09 am

I retired a year ago at 61 in August. My wife had a baby in June, now one year old. So I get to be mr mom and that is awesome by itself. Retirement was the Best decision ever. You won't regret it. The funny thing is yes my income is cut, but I don't spend near as much and don't feel the squeeze. Just enjoy. And congrats on the retirement.
2003 HD Ultra Classic - Sold
1969 Honda Trail 90 - Sold
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black - gave away
2000 custom softball - gave away
2011 KLR 650 -Sold
2013 Ural Gear Up

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 am

Hey, good for you Mark. I've got a few years to go as my youngest is starting college in August (Arizona State in Tempe). But really looking forward to it.

Funny, I just within the last hour finally got around to opening the little container that you sent the Me-Pi tool to me in. Very nice.
I'm planning on watching the Gobium instructional video and trying it out later today.

Be well,

mike wex/stagewex
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:33 am

Good luck on your new situation (retired). Enjoy and :moto: :moto: :moto: :hungry: I was retired in 09, lost interest at work when my wife of 40 hrs passed away in 07. Company noticed it & treated me nice. Gave me options but I was glad I took retirement.
In 2009, I sold everything & the important "stuffs" I stored. Took off on the Ural for 5 yrs traveling this greatest land in the world...sea to shining sea. Had a ball even though I was homeless. Camped out most of the time stayed at hotels & family and friends other times. Met a lot of people & Ural people. Best time I had other than being with my wife & best friend for 45 years, she was my childhood sweetheart before we got married. :D I still do some traveling, 71 now & not quite as spunky as I was several yrs back but I take whatever the good Lord gives me.
Enjoy life, Thump, to the fullest...ya only get one shot at it. Do what you want to do most, there is always a way. Again, best of luck to you! :cheers:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Much health,happiness, and luck in your new phase of your life. Enjoy.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:47 pm

As an ex-pat Arizonan (can't believe I'll have been gone 30 years this September, but I will get back), all I can say is enjoy your retirement as you've earned it. I'm 57 and all seven of my retired riding buddies, including one who retired about six months ago and another who goes out next month, have all enjoyed their new job doing whatever they want to for seven days a week. Two did very well financially, the others are at varying levels of financial comfort, and one's poor as a church mouse, but they are all equally happy.

Good health to you and hope you find your way back to sidecars and Urals in particular. Not to mention there area always Jeep Wranglers to scratch that off-road itch. In any event, ENJOY!

I hope to join your ranks in another four to five years.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

Oldtimer
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Oldtimer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:41 pm

I retired at 63. That was 17 years ago and I'm still trying to figure how to get everything done in those short 24 hour days.
Barry
2003 BMW GS 650
2013 Honda CRF 250 dual srport
2012 Vespa 150LX
2008 Yamaha XT 225
2015 Ural CT
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2014 Suzuki DR 650
Longview, TX

Rib Eye Steak Ride
http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... steak+ride

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:40 pm

I plan to keep running 'til I drop I guess (64) they will have to pry my job out of my cold dead fingers, but it sound like you hit the jack pot congratulations. :clap:
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

outrider
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by outrider » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:03 am

All good stuff posted ^^^.
I retire 12-31-2016 and looking forward to it. Been practicing for it for the last 10 years.
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor