My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Post by CarlS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:48 am

jwaller wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 pm
I guess it’s time to close this misadventure. I just traded my Ural for a new KLR. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement over the last three years. God knows I needed it. I’ll probably lurk on the website so if you’re ever in the San Antonio/Austin corridor in need, hit me up.

Thanks for joining me on my Grand Ural Misadventure.

Good luck!
Congrats on the KLR, a fine machine. I have enjpyed reading and learning from this thread. Ride safe and enjoy the KLR.
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:40 am

I bought a KLR back in 2008 when I got back into moto riding after a hiatus of about 24 years. I really liked it, but it did not do 2 up very well. I sold it to a family that were riding motorcycles to Alaska. Good luck and happy riding.

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 am

jwaller wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 pm
I guess it’s time to close this misadventure. I just traded my Ural for a new KLR. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement over the last three years. God knows I needed it. I’ll probably lurk on the website so if you’re ever in the San Antonio/Austin corridor in need, hit me up.

Thanks for joining me on my Grand Ural Misadventure.

Good luck!
:thumbsup:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Do the KLX needle kit from eagle mike as well. Night and day difference. I also went up one tooth from stock on the front sprocket.

I love my KLR, but will be going full Ural sometime in the next year to be able to ride more with the family :)
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:19 pm

snowymonkey wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm
Do the KLX needle kit from eagle mike as well. Night and day difference. I also went up one tooth from stock on the front sprocket.

I love my KLR, but will be going full Ural sometime in the next year to be able to ride more with the family :)

I wish you all the luck in the world with that. That was one of my motivations in getting my Ural in the first place, to spend more time with my family. For the first six months, I rode it almost every day with my son during his senior hear in high school. He came to my school fifty miles from home. We loved it. But then it was down for transmission problems for months. I did do a two day dual sport ride here in Texas and a huge multi-state ride last summer with my then 11-12 year old daughter. It was all good until we broke down in South Dakota. Then the Ural has been her conveyance to get to and from school. It totally lost its "cool factor" for her. My son's gone off in the Army, my oldest daughter has her own bike, my littlest one likes to ride on the back of whatever I'm riding more than she likes sidecar, and my wife just thinks we're all crazy and wants nothing to do with any of it. So, for me, it's not worth the hassle of keeping. I hope your results vary.

Whatever you do, just don't buy a 2014 candy cane colored Patrol. I don't think anyone has had luck with those.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:05 am

Lol. Here’s hoping.

I’m still riding and loving my KLR. Send me a PM and I’ll give you my phone number, if you wanna a shoot the breeze about the KLRs. I’ve done a few other things to mine and have it dialed in just about perfect. If circumstances allow I’d love to be able to keep both the KLR and a Ural :twisted:
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:12 pm

"Whatever you do, just don't buy a 2014 candy cane colored Patrol. I don't think anyone has had luck with those."
Ooops. That is what I just bought. I sold my 2004 and bought the '14 for a good price. So far so goood.

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 pm

atlasheating wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:12 pm
"Whatever you do, just don't buy a 2014 candy cane colored Patrol. I don't think anyone has had luck with those."
Ooops. That is what I just bought. I sold my 2004 and bought the '14 for a good price. So far so goood.
Where are you? Where did you buy it? Texas?

Seriously, what a great looking bike. But I had horrible luck with the one I bought in San Antonio. There's a guy in Houston who bought one from Austin right about the same time I got mine. We both have had the most horrible luck. We both were/are members of the same group, but never met. All these rallies and meet-ups over the last three years and there wasn't a single one when at least one of us wasn't broke down.

I hope your luck is better than ours.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:42 pm

Mine came from Illinois. I bought it with 23,000KM's seems to be working fine.