My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Post by jwaller » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 pm

hotflash44 wrote:
jwaller wrote:Having not heard from AF1 about the status of my Ural, I called today and found out they are still waiting for parts to come in. It's been about a month since they've had it, so I'm guessing the parts are coming from Russia. Dang. I've made two monthly payments on this bike since I've been able to use it. THAT sucks big time. But that's been the case for about half the time in my Ural ownership experience. It just kills me paying for something and then not being able to even use it. I hate that. I keep kicking myself in the butt for buying the Ural in the first place. But then I have had a lot of fun on it whenever it's been running. I guess the only thing dumber than buying it in the first place is buying it, paying for it, and then not using it or riding it so slowly and boringly that it's not even enjoyable.
You and Zuurg need to go to the dealer (AF1) and give them a attitude adjustment. Zuurg is in the same situation im afraid. :( :x

I don't really think the problem is AF1. They've done well for me. I think it's just taking time to get the right parts in. They've got the clutch. They were still waiting for the new gearbox whenever I talked to them. I asked them if they knew whether the gearbox was a new build unit from Russia or a re-built part done up in Washington. I hear that the re-built stuff is better. The service tech I talked to didn't know for sure but did tell me that sometimes they have to wait for some specific little part from Russia before they can get things fixed.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:18 pm

sagerat wrote:Does Texas have a lemon law?

Yes, Texas does have a Lemon Law but it states that the problem causing the break down must be the same problem at least three occurrences over some specified amount of time. I've had a plethora of problems, not the same exact problem each time. This is twice for the clutch plates' spline teeth and twice for the transmission/gearbox, but both of those gearbox issues were different problems. I researched the Lemon Law. It won't help me.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 am

jwaller wrote:
hotflash44 wrote:
jwaller wrote:Having not heard from AF1 about the status of my Ural, I called today and found out they are still waiting for parts to come in. It's been about a month since they've had it, so I'm guessing the parts are coming from Russia. Dang. I've made two monthly payments on this bike since I've been able to use it. THAT sucks big time. But that's been the case for about half the time in my Ural ownership experience. It just kills me paying for something and then not being able to even use it. I hate that. I keep kicking myself in the butt for buying the Ural in the first place. But then I have had a lot of fun on it whenever it's been running. I guess the only thing dumber than buying it in the first place is buying it, paying for it, and then not using it or riding it so slowly and boringly that it's not even enjoyable.
You and Zuurg need to go to the dealer (AF1) and give them a attitude adjustment. Zuurg is in the same situation im afraid. :( :x

I don't really think the problem is AF1. They've done well for me. I think it's just taking time to get the right parts in. They've got the clutch. They were still waiting for the new gearbox whenever I talked to them. I asked them if they knew whether the gearbox was a new build unit from Russia or a re-built part done up in Washington. I hear that the re-built stuff is better. The service tech I talked to didn't know for sure but did tell me that sometimes they have to wait for some specific little part from Russia before they can get things fixed.
yeah i get your point, think with Urals is a very frustrating parts accumulation issue, understandable. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

chopfather

Post by chopfather » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I picked up my gear up on Feb.10 and as part of the deal I bought a slightly used ural windshield from my dealer but he couldn't find the mounts and hardware so he had to order them and he just received them two weeks ago ! Not a big deal because it wasn't keeping me from riding but if that had been a drivetrain part keeping me off the road for all of that time I wouldn't have been happy with ural.
My dealer is a great guy and I'm sure that he would have sourced the part from another dealer if it was a critical part but I can see where it would be frustrating.
Rick Current Bikes- 2018 Ural Gear Up
'91 HD Sportster
'81 Yamaha XS650 - 2 of them, both works in progress
'2015 Coleman CT200U minibike

EASirider
Party Member
Party Member

Post by EASirider » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm

jwaller wrote:My Ural stinks........ Literally. At least it did. On my way to work I was following an SUV, probably a little too close, but I was actually setting up to pass it, as the highway was about to go from 2 lanes to 4. A skunk ran out in front of the SUV and got hit. I went right by the skunk as it was in its death throes. My bike, my son, and I all got sprayed...........
By the way, next time someone tells you that some beer has gone skunky or tastes like skunk, tell them they are full of $h1t. Get sprayed by a skunk and really taste skunk spray and suddenly the worst things seem relatively pleasant.
I know this is old, but I have a skunk story. I was 200 yards from the driveway in my Lincoln Towncar. Skunk runs out and I hit him. No big deal I thought. Pulled in the driveway and smelled it....but it gets better. I figured he got the bottom of the car and it'll w@$# off with a couple of rainy days commute to work. So...I drive the car and to my convenience it rained the next morning. I come out from work and I smell it. Man I figured maybe one more rainy day will do the trick. So with each rainy day the smell starts to fade. You know how marajuana can have a faint skunk smell right? Well, I got pulled over for speeding just as the smell was fading to next of nothing....you guessed it. He tried busting me for possession. But his dog never alerted. I told him the story and he wouldn't believe me at first. Finally after I told him who my local cop buddies are he let me go.

Damn skunk also knocked the insides of the catalytic converter loose. It was rattling around for a couple weeks. So I had to buy a catalytic converter too.

Damn skunks ain't nothing but trouble.
Have fun now, while you still can.

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Hell, if we're doing skunk stories! This poem, and a handful of scars, is all my ole man left me.

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

~~~ I Hont De Skonk ~~~

I hont de skunk, I hont de moose, sometimes I hont de rat.
Las' week I take my hax wit' me, go hont de big polecat.

My fren' Bill say hees got good fur, en sometime good to eat.
I tell my wife I get fur coat, and maybe get some meat.

I walk two, t'ree, five, six, height miles, by-n-by get strong damn smell.
I t'ink dat skonk, she's dead long time, her fur coat's gone to hell.

And den I see dat son-mo-gun, she's close-up one big tree,
I sneak up wery close to him, I t'ink he no see me.

And den I sneak up wery close, I raise my hax up high,
Dat son-mo-gun, she's hunch his back, squirt somet'ing in my heye!

I yell like hell, I t'ink I'm blind, Jeez Chris', I no can see.
I run aroun', and roun', and roun', and bump in dat damn tree.

Bye an' bye I drop my hax tout suite, an' light for the shack.
I t'ink 'bout one million skunk hees gone an' climb upon my back.

When I get home, my wife, she's pi$$ed, she sick on me de dogs,
she say, "You no can sleep in de house, go ou'side, sleep wit' de hogs!"

I try for get in dat hog pen, Jeez Chris' now what you t'ink?
Dat got damn hog hees not stan' dat, on account dat awful stink.

I t'ink no more, I hont de skonk, I get deer for my meat.
If when she's pi$$, she's smell so bad, Jeez Chris', suppose she's sheet!.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:40 pm

I know, patience. And really, I'm alright waiting for my bike to get fixed. But, my Ural's been broke down, waiting for parts and repair for weeks now. I dropped it off at a dealership in early/mid May and the warranty is set to expire at the beginning of August. I'd read somewhere that if your bike is set up for a long time awaiting parts/repairs at a Ural dealership, sometimes the company will extend your warranty for that time. In addition, I didn't get my Ural to the shop until mid May when the bike broke down in mid April because the dealership was backed up on service and didn't even have room to put it, had no place for it. I had to wait about a month before I could even take the bike to them. So, it's been over a couple months since I've been able to use my bike or do anything with it at all. So, can the warranty be extended, and if so, what kind of documentation do I need to send to IMZ?

I'm not putting blame on anyone for this debacle and I'm not upset with anyone (yet), I just want to know if IMZ-Ural has anything standard procedure for customers when this sort of thing occurs and what's the process. Anyone know?
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:22 pm

I just got off the phone with Josh from IMZ-Ural. We discussed the issue. He and I will both be on top of this. I talked with him about how the issue with my clutch plates and how I don't know why I've had such bad luck. He is going to be looking into possible causes. I told him the suggestions I've seen on the forums, everything from possible improper clutch use on my part to what someone suggested about positive alignment and all that. I know I don't treat my bike like a prom queen virgin, but I don't treat it like a $20 Tijuana whore either. Josh says he goes out and intentionally tries to break the Urals he rides and he's never had the difficulties like I've had and he's not aware of anyone else with the issues I've had with the clutch. It seems he believes there may be some other underlying issue with my bike that has caused this and wants to see if we can get to the bottom of it. I think with the good set-up I have on my bike now, I won't be experiencing the kind of chassis problems I had in the past, broken swing-arm, irregular tire wear. I hope we can get a handle on the transmission/clutch issues. Then, I'll be happy.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 pm

The bike is currently on the lift getting the new parts installed. Darn, I had a good alignment between the bike and hack. Hopefully they will put it back together with a good setup.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:47 am

Glad it is going back together again.
On the alignment, did you have the alignment slides marked with paint or nail polish?
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by CarlS » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:39 am

Glad to hear it is coming back together. :thumbsup:
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:58 pm

:lurker:

I too will be interested if there's anything funny about the clutch.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:36 pm

wooden nickel wrote:Glad it is going back together again.
On the alignment, did you have the alignment slides marked with paint or nail polish?

No, I never did because that's something I didn't even consider when I first had the clutch problem last year in South Dakota.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:48 pm

When I get mine where I want it, I mark it so I can tell if it moves.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Twelve days since the last update and..... counting.

Patience currently at zero and frustration soaring onward to infinity.

Anyone got any good ideas for getting stickers and decals off the bike without damaging the paint? I want to restore this thing to as new as possible to be able to get the maximum I can get for it whenever I trade it in. Also, a couple of the elastic connectors on the tonneau cover need to be replaced. Anyone got any good ideas for that? I've used zip-ties for now, but want it to look better when I get it back for better resale value.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.