Cancer Update...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
02twincam88b
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Cancer Update...

Post by 02twincam88b » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Best wishes to you and your family

Keep up the good fight
2013 Ural T
2002 FLSTFI
Sold 93 XR 650L and 75 TS185 to get the Ural

DRC458
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by DRC458 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:09 pm

John - My thoughts and prayers are with you. You can beat this, and I'm sure you will. Thanks for straightening out my registration
to the site, when you had much greater issues to contend with! I look forward to your full recovery and to you and I both spending many more hours on this forum!

Don
Don

2006 Ural Tourist

Lloyd G
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Lloyd G » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 pm

John - A blessing on you, your family and your doctors. May every decision you make and those of your care givers be guided and inspired from above.
Lloyd G
Team Moose and Squirrel, Utah
2006 Low and Slow Retro

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:21 pm

Glad to hear the prognosis is good :cheers: . My wife had her port put in on Friday and starts her first round tomorrow morning. Like you, she will be having six at three week intervals. A good friend of hers just finished up Chemo a couple weeks ago and has given her some good tips like pop sickles during the actual treatment to cut down on the mouth sores and Claritin to help lessen the bone pain. Keep us posted and you will be in our thoughts.
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

puttaround
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by puttaround » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 am

Best wishes John, I have faith both you and your rig will be running on all cylinders by HUG time.

JR
2001 Bavarian Classic--gone but not forgotten
1975 Yamaha RS100 "The Eternal Project"
2014 Maddog "chuckus" scooter

"The past is a foreign country: They do things differently there." --L. P. Hartley
Ти́ше е́дешь -- да́льше бу́дешь. --Ride slower, you'll get further. (Russian Proverb)

Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Norms 427 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:11 am

Really good news to hear that this type of Ca and chemo has such a high success rate! Looks like we're going to have to put up with you for a good long time into the future. :D Every chemo cocktail is different but 6x of 'em shouldn't be too bad. Yes, those anti-throw-up-you-innards meds are very effective but they made me as constipated as an ape passing bricks ... take some OTC stool softeners when they give you those meds and you'll thank me for it. They didn't tell me that little secret.

Hang in there.
SOLD my 2011 Ural Patrol Orange w 22,000 km. RR to Alaska: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=alaska \\ '09 kawasaki KLR 650 Red \\ '85 Yamaha VMAX Maroon bought new \\ '05 Harley Heritage Softail Turquoise wife's ride \\ '14 HD Road King

I wasn't ready to say good-bye: http://www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Image Avg MPG since Aug, 2011 after my return from Alaska, GPS corrected, stock carb jetting (122/40) + 2 shims.

DesertRat
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DesertRat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi John,
Best wishes/prayers/happy thoughts/good vibes from Utah.
Just look at fixing your rig as what you look forward to for when you are feeling better.
And you WILL feel better!
2009 Sahara
Slides drilled, 2 shims, Yamaha petcock.
sean026's steering damper (the best modification ever!)

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Norms 427 wrote:Really good news to hear that this type of Ca and chemo has such a high success rate! Looks like we're going to have to put up with you for a good long time into the future. :D Every chemo cocktail is different but 6x of 'em shouldn't be too bad. Yes, those anti-throw-up-you-innards meds are very effective but they made me as constipated as an ape passing bricks ... take some OTC stool softeners when they give you those meds and you'll thank me for it. They didn't tell me that little secret.

Hang in there.
They told my wife this morning if she gets plugged up to take some prune juice (at room temp) and put about a tablespoon of melted butter (not margarine) in it and it will get her going without taking electrolytes out of her system.
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

Dark Knight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Dark Knight » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:03 am

Best of luck to you John. I don't get on SS real often so I was surprised to find this post, I didn't know you were going thru this.

Sounds like the docs got things pretty well maintained. Keep us informed on how you are doing. And I'll be sure to keep you in my thoughts.
Kirt "Mr. Incredibell" Bell & RAVEN

2006 URAL Raven
Fuel Line Quick Disconnects
Power Arc Ignition with VOES
sean0262 R3W Steering Damper Kit

TerryG
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TerryG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:36 pm

JohnBG wrote:
rougaroo wrote:Best of luck going through this. They say marijuana is good for the nausea and keeping the appetite up during chemo :wink:

Look forward to you posting a clear prognosis in the future -

Rougaroo
Oh hell that's all I need, the hippie lettuce... As if I'm not loopy enough already... :lol:
John,

I just got over a battle with chemo for prostate cancer last month, so best of luck with your battle. My doctor prescribed a drug called Marinol which is a synthetic marijuana. It really works for the appetite thing, and doesn't get you loopy. :roll:
Terry

2011 Retro
2000 Bavarian Classic (Gone but never forgotten)

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 am

One chemo session down, five left to go...

Chemo started at 8:30 Friday morning and I got out of there at close to 6:00 that night. Pumped me fulla four different bags of cancer-killing meds and then I have to take Prednisone for the next few days. This morning I had a follow-up visit to get a shot of stuff to rebuild my bone marrow and white cells, which will cause my bones to ache like hell for a few days.

The chemo wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, praise God and knock on wood. But they say the 2nd treatment is a little rougher than the first. Feels like I have a hangover with a sinus headache and a little constipated. Tha anti-nausea meds thy gave em worked great, I didn't feel sick to my stomach at all. No problems eating, I had a steak, baked potato and an O'Douls (no real beers for a few months) for dinner last night. Aside from that I feel a little weak and creaky but I'm back to work this morning. I spent the weekend holding the couch down so it didn't float away.

I'm still enjoying my hair and my mustache and beard as long as I can, but that will probably go away in the next week or so. Maybe If I feel up to it next week I can diagnose what's going on inside my Ural engine, get it fixed and go for a short ride.

Keep the prayers and happy thoughts coming... They seem to be working.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Norms 427 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:58 am

Wow, you spent all day getting chemo and anti naseau meds ... I'm only familiar with what I had which took only 4.5 hours total each visit. I often think that if it weren't for modern medicine probably most of us would be pushing up daisies long ago.

Hang in there!
SOLD my 2011 Ural Patrol Orange w 22,000 km. RR to Alaska: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=alaska \\ '09 kawasaki KLR 650 Red \\ '85 Yamaha VMAX Maroon bought new \\ '05 Harley Heritage Softail Turquoise wife's ride \\ '14 HD Road King

Image Avg MPG since Aug, 2011 after my return from Alaska, GPS corrected, stock carb jetting (122/40) + 2 shims.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am

Norms 427 wrote:Wow, you spent all day getting chemo and anti naseau meds ... I'm only familiar with what I had which took only 4.5 hours total each visit. I often think that if it weren't for modern medicine probably most of us would be pushing up daisies long ago.

Hang in there!
Before they even start, they need to draw blood and do labs to make sure your red & white cell counts are high enough, which takes about an hour. Then it took the pharmacy another hour to get their defecation into one location (they were running behind) and prep all the meds, so I really didn't get started until 10:30. The first round or two they give you Benadryl and go real slow to make sure you don't have a reaction. Plus the slower they do it, the less chance of major nausea. So as far as I'm concerned they can take as long as they want. I'm in no big hurry...

There's one 1000 mL bag of the nasty stuff Rituxan, then 3 other smaller bags of stuff, one of them makes you pee bright red then pink and then dark orange. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The treatment I am receiving is called R-CHOP, Link to more info: http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/acron ... RluvvzF9Jk
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 am

Glad to hear the first session went well. Two Ural buddies' wives have gone through chemo, both for breast cancer, and found the sessions did get a bit bumpier toward the later sessions. They were uncomfortable, but not laid out. Glad to hear your treatment is going well.

Maybe the doc will let you use the MRI as a diagnostic tool for the Ural.

More good karma sent your way.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Norms 427 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:51 am

JohnBG wrote:
The treatment I am receiving is called R-CHOP, Link to more info: http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/acron ... RluvvzF9Jk
Here's my chemo, called BUD-LIGHT.

Actually it was FOLFOX but the tech mixing my cocktail put this sticker on it one day. :D There was actually a fair amount of fun going on in the chemo ward despite the seriousness of it all.

I went through similar blood tests prior to getting the anti naseau and chemo but with all of that it was still only 4.5 hours. Every Ca treatment is different. You're getting 6 infusions whereas I had 12 spaced every 2 weeks. And for 48 hours following my infusion I toted around a portable pump that was pumping the final cocktail into me.

Keep us posted.