What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Bendog02760
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Post by Bendog02760 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Sorry to hear about accident Nate, get well quickly!!!!! It sounds like the bike is kapoot but not your attitude. I hope you get back on one sometime soon. I'm lucky enough to be part of a Veterans Treatment Court where I mentor some of my brothers who have lost their way. Keep positive yourself and heal, wish you the best.

:cheers:
Current Rides:
2012 GU (I bought in May 2017) All my GU rides are with my dog, Liberty
HD Road King
HD Wide Glide
Owned about 15 other HD over years
Boston Mass.

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:00 am

thank you good sir ! .

i still have my '94 tourist and a '96 solo with only a few thousand miles on it so we'll see .

looks to be a long time before i can walk again much less ride .

i also have a gaggle of old honda 90's, five of which run so that may be how i ease back in to riding this fall .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:40 am

Nate,
So sorry you and the bike are out of commission. So glad you are in much better shape than the bike. Heal fast and do as the doctor orders.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

DRC458

Post by DRC458 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:27 am

VWNate1 wrote:
i also have a gaggle of old honda 90's, five of which run so that may be how i ease back in to riding this fall .
Oh, wow! You got pics of any of them old 90's? My very first bike was a Honda Super 90, '67 model IIRC. Took all the money from my paper route to buy it, tag it, insure it, fuel it and maintain it. Wish I had it back!
Don

2006 Ural Tourist

phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by phliparoonie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:57 am

Adjusted the rear drum brakes. Skid test in the gravel driveway showed the pusher brake needed to be tightened up. Rear brakes now actually provide some stopping power :-)
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Post by thecrumb » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Drove though a few hours of rain last weekend and hit some deep water. Changing the final drive fluid today I found a milky goo. :x Finally broke down and did the vent mod. Hopefully that'll keep the water out and the oil in :)
breather.jpg
Also hacked up a short shield for the summer. So far this seems to be pretty close. Hacked it out of some old poly sheets I had in the garage. I may trim it down just a bit more then I'll cut the final one.
shield.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Central NC | 2012 Patrol "Shambo" |
Please contribute useful info to uralwiki.org
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Nothing. But I did change the oil, front and rear tires & flushed the brakes on my stepson's CBR 250. Used the zip tie method (no fancy changer) and really liked it. Much less cussing and sweating than busting with just tire irons. Not sure how it would work with tube tires but I may try it next time with the Ural. Took the Honda out for a quick ride, impressive how nice it is for a little thumper. But that riding position needs someone about 40 years younger than me :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 pm

wooden nickel wrote:Nate,
So sorry you and the bike are out of commission. So glad you are in much better shape than the bike. Heal fast and do as the doctor orders.
Holy crap! :o Ditto. (Had to look up "fog line")

Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

my bad

Post by VWNate1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 pm

'!holy crap!' is bang spot on :o .

i try to be a cautious rider as i've seem far too many deaths and crippling injuries (like mine from my fatal 2008 collision) but this once i failed to spot the gravel/sand and nearly paid with my life :( .

i'm going to try and add a photo of what's left, notice the broken forks :cry: .

i have no s90's for many years, mostly ct90's a few cm91's (rare but worthless) and one 1968 cl90 i foolishly dumped over $1,500.00 worth of new, japanese made factory honda parts into.....

nope ~ it won't let me attach pix, sorry .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo

Roni
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Roni » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Holy Crap, VWN. I'm glad to read that you fared better than the scooter. The problem with being human is that the replacement parts are harder to come by, require professionals to install and generally don't work as well or look as nice as OEM. Heal quickly.

Since my little fender bender back in September, my ride has been off the road. I finally found some time today to put on the replacement exhaust header pipes. Unfortunately the pipe south of the crossover on the 2015's is about 5 inches shorter than the same pipe on the 2004. So, considering the paucity of left heads for 2004's, I'm going to need to find another solution. Hopefully (a) I can get a couple of the catalyt tubes on the 2015 and (b) that the mounting bracket for the 2015 exhaust is position so that it will bolt onto the 2004 frame studs.

Maybe the solution is to weld on some exhaust pipe straight back from the header pipe. I've always wanted to learn to weld. This might be my excuse. I actually had the engine fired up without the catalyts (one of which the PO has punched out but, surprisingly, not the other). The engine was clearly louder, but not "Harley" loud.

I'm going to need to think on this one some more.
Current Rides:
'07 Sportster XL1200C (Talulah)
'04 Troyka (Riba)
'82 CM450C (Zenaida: gone but not forgotten)

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Roni ;

Try Holopaw Ural in Fla, they have all manner of exhaust pipes and helped me cobble up a system for my '94 Tourist 650 that had two crossovers ~ one under the tranny and 't other under the oil filler .

How much this improved drivabilty in my bone stock 1994 was amazing .

Keep at it, exhaust pipes are cheap and once you've figured out what you want, you can have it all welded and chromed for longer life .

? What's the deal with left hand 2014 750 cylinder heads ? .

TIA,
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo

Roni
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Roni » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:07 pm

2004 cylinder head. As part of my physics experiment with a Chevy Suburban back in September, I cracked the left head on my 2004 Troyka. For my bike, the only model years of the head which will work with the 2004 exhaust is 2004, 2005 and 2006. I've been unable to find a replacement head for those years so I bought a 2008 heads which work with the 2004 jugs and lifters, and a set of 2015 pipes which fits on the new heads. The big problem is, as I described in my post, that the pipe south of the cross over (which is in the same relative position as on the 2004) is 5" shorter. I'm good with that, but that is also going to affect the mounting bracket which is the same diameter as the header pipe, not the catalyt which slips over the tail end of the header pipe. I guess that means that I will also need to manufacture at least two and perhaps four mounting brackets.
Current Rides:
'07 Sportster XL1200C (Talulah)
'04 Troyka (Riba)
'82 CM450C (Zenaida: gone but not forgotten)

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

750 Cylinder Heads

Post by VWNate1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanx .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo

fallalotesq
Comrade
Comrade

Post by fallalotesq » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Well despite the great tutorial from speedbump and info from tomcatfixer, the gas app on my Garmin just refuses to work correctly. I put the distance information in and within 5 miles it says I'm empty. Other than that works fine. Will reach out to Garmin to see what's up. Thanks for the help.
2004 Ural Troyka (Sidecar Sassy)
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750
2002 Honda CR250

Mr Wazzock

Re: my bad

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 am

VWNate1 wrote: nope ~ it won't let me attach pix, sorry .
Too big?

I discovered I can attach pix direct from my iPhone BUT would normally be too big so what I do is email it to myself, this enables me to resize its smaller, 'medium' is usually just right. Then add the pic to library, then I can attach that.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")