Russian haters ....

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Post Reply
User avatar
chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 am
Location: sw ohio

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by chaos2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:54 pm

I drifted away from BMWMOA because of the purified snob aspect that seems to run in that crowd. Uralists are much more my liking because if there was a snob in this crowd god help him he's got the wrong ride! The chrome and noise crowd generally seems to accept Urals, if for no other reason it can haul lots of beer. Some of them really get pi$$ed when my rusty chrome-less GU gets more attention than their dime a dozen blinged out fatboy.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

User avatar
EASirider
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Taylorsville KY

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by EASirider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:02 pm

chaos2 wrote:I drifted away from BMWMOA because of the purified snob aspect that seems to run in that crowd. Uralists are much more my liking because if there was a snob in this crowd god help him he's got the wrong ride! The chrome and noise crowd generally seems to accept Urals, if for no other reason it can haul lots of beer. Some of them really get pi$$ed when my rusty chrome-less GU gets more attention than their dime a dozen blinged out fatboy.
Hey Chaos....your Avatar pic...I saw a Youtube video the other day...I think it was a Heindl Engineering video. There was a Ural with that Shark decal. You end up buying that one in the youtube vid? Or are you the guy who traded it in?
Have fun now, while you still can.

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 7063
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: New Rochelle, New York

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by stagewex » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Ha, six years later. I thought this looked familiar.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

User avatar
EASirider
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Taylorsville KY

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by EASirider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:08 pm

stagewex wrote:Ha, six years later. I thought this looked familiar.
Sorry. Ima newb. Trying to catch up on all the cool kid's conversations 8)
Have fun now, while you still can.

User avatar
Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 5897
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm
Location: Boston, UK
Contact:

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Had to google "doo rag". AH!!! :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

User avatar
EASirider
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Taylorsville KY

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by EASirider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:Had to google "doo rag". AH!!! :D
Maybe the HD guys call em bandanas...all the brothers in the hood call em doo rags...All the welders at work call them Welders caps or Doo rags.
Have fun now, while you still can.

User avatar
chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 am
Location: sw ohio

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by chaos2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:25 pm

EASirider wrote: Hey Chaos....your Avatar pic...I saw a Youtube video the other day...I think it was a Heindl Engineering video. There was a Ural with that Shark decal. You end up buying that one in the youtube vid? Or are you the guy who traded it in?
Nah, bought mine new from Heindl in 2012 and still got it. Seen a few Ural's out there with General Chenault's trademark on the tub.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

User avatar
EASirider
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Taylorsville KY

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by EASirider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 pm

chaos2 wrote:
EASirider wrote: Hey Chaos....your Avatar pic...I saw a Youtube video the other day...I think it was a Heindl Engineering video. There was a Ural with that Shark decal. You end up buying that one in the youtube vid? Or are you the guy who traded it in?
Nah, bought mine new from Heindl in 2012 and still got it. Seen a few Ural's out there with General Chenault's trademark on the tub.
Oh, cool. Figured it was one of a kind.
Have fun now, while you still can.

User avatar
EASirider
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Taylorsville KY

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by EASirider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Okay, someone educate me here. Before I speak from ignorance, get me up to speed.

The Hammer and Sickle, obviously was and still is a commie symbol. Are there folks here that support communism? I certainly do not. So, I guess I am a little confused as to why the hammer and sickle is being put on the merchandise....I mean "get it", but its sort of not what I would stand for, or support. So....a little clarity on how others have justified fly the commie flag would be needed for me. I'm sure I am missing something.
Have fun now, while you still can.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 4677
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 pm

EASirider wrote:Okay, someone educate me here. Before I speak from ignorance, get me up to speed.

The Hammer and Sickle, obviously was and still is a commie symbol. Are there folks here that support communism? I certainly do not. So, I guess I am a little confused as to why the hammer and sickle is being put on the merchandise....I mean "get it", but its sort of not what I would stand for, or support. So....a little clarity on how others have justified fly the commie flag would be needed for me. I'm sure I am missing something.
look closer it is usually a sickle and piston. actually i think the hammer and sickle emblem was for the former Soviet Union,and the Red Star for the Russian Federation. (someone please help me out here im sinking fast into the ignorance quick sand pit.) i know we have Russian members that can straighten out a old uneducated American who loves Russian ladies and Urals . :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

eastbloc
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 1875
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by eastbloc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Both the hammer and sickle and red star are communist symbols. For better or worse, Urals are very much a product of communist heritage. There's no point in trying to revise that history.

I doubt anyone here is a communist. Communists imprisoned my father and other members of my family, but the Soviet Union is gone and we don't have to worry about hammers and sickles or red stars as symbols of enemy propaganda. We don't fight communists anymore, we trade with them.

So it's just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor recognizing the heritage of our devices. I wouldn't dwell on it much.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

User avatar
CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 am
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by CarlS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 pm

eastbloc wrote:Both the hammer and sickle and red star are communist symbols. For better or worse, Urals are very much a product of communist heritage. There's no point in trying to revise that history.

I doubt anyone here is a communist. Communists imprisoned my father and other members of my family, but the Soviet Union is gone and we don't have to worry about hammers and sickles or red stars as symbols of enemy propaganda. We don't fight communists anymore, we trade with them.

So it's just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor recognizing the heritage of our devices. I wouldn't dwell on it much.

Well stated.

I spent most of my adult life training, planning, and thinking that the Soviet Union was the enemy. And they were. However that is over with the collapse of the Soviet Union. I did not hate the Russian people. I didn't even hate the Soviet Union soldiers. They were people just like me, in the uniform of their nation, just like me, and following orders, just like me. I respect them for their service. That said, I understand the history of the Ural. I will buy one - but there will be no hammer and sickle on it nor will there be a red star. Those symbols of communism and the cold war do not offend me; but I choose not to have them nor glorify them.
Carl S
Old Soldier


Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 4677
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 pm

eastbloc wrote:Both the hammer and sickle and red star are communist symbols. For better or worse, Urals are very much a product of communist heritage. There's no point in trying to revise that history.

I doubt anyone here is a communist. Communists imprisoned my father and other members of my family, but the Soviet Union is gone and we don't have to worry about hammers and sickles or red stars as symbols of enemy propaganda. We don't fight communists anymore, we trade with them.

So it's just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor recognizing the heritage of our devices. I wouldn't dwell on it much.
Good analogy as a old guy who grew up during the cold war beginning to end, i at first had a odd feeling buying a Russian made machine as if i were some how contributing to the communists. but like all things time seems to heal all wounds as they say. my dad wasent to impressed with my first Japanese/German motorcycles, but didn't say much. i have only had the Ural for a year and half and not one word from anyone about it being Russian to the contrary people are interested and love the bike. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 10030
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm
Location: Silver Creek GA 30173

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by Niteblues » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm

CarlS wrote:
eastbloc wrote:Both the hammer and sickle and red star are communist symbols. For better or worse, Urals are very much a product of communist heritage. There's no point in trying to revise that history.

I doubt anyone here is a communist. Communists imprisoned my father and other members of my family, but the Soviet Union is gone and we don't have to worry about hammers and sickles or red stars as symbols of enemy propaganda. We don't fight communists anymore, we trade with them.

So it's just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor recognizing the heritage of our devices. I wouldn't dwell on it much.

Well stated.

I spent most of my adult life training, planning, and thinking that the Soviet Union was the enemy. And they were. However that is over with the collapse of the Soviet Union. I did not hate the Russian people. I didn't even hate the Soviet Union soldiers. They were people just like me, in the uniform of their nation, just like me, and following orders, just like me. I respect them for their service. That said, I understand the history of the Ural. I will buy one - but there will be no hammer and sickle on it nor will there be a red star. Those symbols of communism and the cold war do not offend me; but I choose not to have them nor glorify them.
I tell people "I was in the Cold War. I won. I got a sidecar motorcycle and a t-shirt."

...the only time that line (almost) got me in trouble was when I told it to a group of "Local Dominant Motorcycle Club" in Jersey and one guy said "I was in Vietnam and I didn't get a bike" to which I replied "you didn't win". :wink:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

outrider
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:53 am
Location: On the run. Currently hold up in Sussex Wisconsin.

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by outrider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 pm

wooden nickel wrote:I've had several members of the local BMW club invite me to their weekly Saturday morning breakfasts. Unfortunately I work every weekend.
They knew that when they invited you. :lol:
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor

Post Reply