Russian haters ....

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Poacher Bob
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by Poacher Bob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:24 pm

"Ural is BMW's Bastard Brother"[/quote]

:cheers:
1996 FLHPI/TLE
1999 KLR 650
2003 KDX 200
2002 FLHTCI
2006 Patrol
2005 KTM 950 ADV

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

U have to look at BMW guys point of view, how would you like it? If someone made clone of you, he/she runs round and acting/pretend to be you! :lol:
In the west, copying a idea or thing, can be seen as insult to inventor. East, copying is totally opposite, you should be flatter if someone copy you. :wink:

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by BigJames » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Check out my tag line, I tell folks I own 4 Harleys. They go huh? Yeah, 2 American ones, 1 German one and a Russian one...as in the BMW and Ural are the HD's of their respective countries, spiritually speaking...shuts them down every time.

Airhead folks look longingly at the Retro (since it looks so much like a /2) when I tell them it has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty and that it costs about half of what a high end Beemer or HD costs. Then hit them with the, you know, doesn't take a lot to slip an R90 motor into one of these and not a lot more to put in the entire drive train...even they know why airheads post the /2 era were called rubber cows... The rest of the BMW crowd, well, since I've been a Truetee of the BMWRA (twice) and have done their Rally Map for over a decade and used to do their want ads, my ability to blow off the ones with crappy attitudes is legendary in those circles.

So far. HD crowd like the Ural, kinda like they way they like the older BMWs. Since it has a sidecar, get the training wheel crap a lot, then remind them I have close to 750,000 miles on bikes and really don't have squat to prove to them or anyone else. Yeah, I get uppity with then. F 'em if they can't take a joke.

Only problem I have is when some (generally too young to even know what they are talking about) idiot sees the piston and cycle on the back and goes on some anti-commie rant, until I tell them to look at it closely, that ain't a hammer and Russia is no longer commie, that would be China, where their friggin cell phone and electronics came from. Since I live in Georgia, I tell them it stands for motor-sickle, sometimes you can use their stupidity to your advantage...then I tell them I am a card carying Democrat just to pi$$ them off.... :lol: have also been told that it can also stand for "we better make good piston or we'll use that sickle to cut our own wheat because there is no money!" I like that one better...
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

As we (hopefully) all are aware, there are two disinct kinds of Harley riders, just like there are two kinds of Beemer riders.

One kind is hyper "brand loyal" and can't imagine why anyone would buy any other kind of machine. The other kind is reasonable, broad-minded, and simply prefers the brand/model they bought - much like most every other rider.

There are many reasons a person buys the machine they buy - comfort, speed, appearance - even 'sound' - but if it's simply for "image", or "prestige", well, that's their thing - not mine.

I have a friend who used to own/run a Yamaha, Triumph & Kawasaki shop. He once told me
"I love some of those Harley guys. They get a brand-new Harley, put straight-through pipes on it, buy the same jackets, helmets, gloves and so forth as their friends, then go riding with other virtually identically-clad guys, all intent on expressing their individuality."

(He's also been known to refer to most Harleys as "butt jewelry"...)
'07 Ural Tourist
'08 "Volare" scooter/sidecar from Holopaw
+ about 15 2-wheelers from '59 to '86

Wannabee
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Russian haters ....

Post by Wannabee » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I love the Harley commercials from a couple years ago ... The one with the black sheep . Funny how there were more black sheep then white , who's the individual ?
I don't bash anyone for riding anything , hell , I would rock a scooter ! I don't get the people that follow a crowd because they want to belong , I am like Gobium ( is that right ) I ride mostly alone and would much rather not talk to anyone unless I get a genuine feeling from them . I enjoy talking to the old guys , always interesting .
Live Fast ..Die Young..Leave a beautiful corpse

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Scott » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:50 pm

..and Germans have never seem to gotton over the way Russia got a hold of the M72 designs and don't hold much value in a country that "copied" their machine...
How about us?
We had a licensed copy in the GM/Delco trike and a modified reverse engineered copy by HD?
Of course, we didn't make three million of them, either...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:53 pm

gobium wrote:U have to look at BMW guys point of view, how would you like it? If someone made clone of you, he/she runs round and acting/pretend to be you! :lol:
In the west, copying a idea or thing, can be seen as insult to inventor. East, copying is totally opposite, you should be flatter if someone copy you. :wink:
NO- copy of east is idiocy!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

frameteam2003
Banned!
Banned!

Post by frameteam2003 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Harley rider said,Cool bike. Ask if I got the two wheeled drive?
---Said he wouldn't even wave to a can-am!
2011 ural touriest

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:08 pm

frameteam2003 wrote:Harley rider said,Cool bike. Ask if I got the two wheeled drive?
That's funny...I don't wave to Can Ams either. Or Smart cars... :?

should I? :|

I give thumbs up to scooter riders! Even though they're probably DUI/loss of license people... :oops:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:36 pm

niteblues59 wrote:
frameteam2003 wrote:Harley rider said,Cool bike. Ask if I got the two wheeled drive?

I give thumbs up to scooter riders! Even though they're probably DUI/loss of license people... :oops:
I wave at scooter riders also. :thumbsup:

You still need a driver's license and a motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter.

Dave
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by immulmen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:
niteblues59 wrote:

I wave at scooter riders also. :thumbsup:

You still need a driver's license and a motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter.

Dave
only need drivers license if under 50cc and 8 inch tires in Maine. so OUI drivers are out in Maine.
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by pierce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 pm

I have owned a few BMW r60's and r69's they were great bikes for there time. Hell their still great bikes. I kind of live in the past thats why I like old brit bikes and the Ural. :D

commiezilla
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by commiezilla » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 pm

I wave at scooter riders also...mostly cause those are some brave SOB's, saw an electric one a few days ago, buzzing around through traffic on something not much larger than a bicycle.
2011 Ural Gear Up :: Gobi Desert

"All 2WD is good for is getting you stuck further away from help!!!"--Scott

Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 pm

I have been givin the HD riders a huge wave, above the head, movin your whole arm back and forth really wide and rapidly like I am extremly happy to see them. Might start doin that to all the college kids on the crotch rockets that do the hand down low "I'm cool" wave. Yeah, I am prolly getttin a name for myself wif the HD people around here, but who cares. Live life to the fullest 8)

Adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

To me the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just twice as large as what's needed.

Mracer
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Mracer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 pm

I live in a midst of a russian/jewish/ukranian/polish/latvian/moldovian/romanian/albanian/georgian/ armenian neighborhood... There are probably others... I know there are others. Everyone wants to live in America and most are here representing their homeland. I was never approached by anyone from the commi block with a criticism... maybe because mine are cool old bikes... maybe because those that think of me as a poor shmuck just drive by me in their X5s and 500SLs feeling too cool to think otherwise... So the comments that I get are normally very positive - anything ranging from recalling old motorcycling memories to- wow, how can I get one! Last week I went to Advanced in need of some plugs, and on the parking lot an Indian gentlemen crawled under my bike inspecting the hardware. When I came out he asked for detailed specifications and drilled me for about 15 minutes. Behind me was a Russian gentleman sitting in his car and listening to our conversation intently. He was smiling, nodding along, laughing... we weren't talking to him at all but somehow, because of the bike origins I guess, he felt that he belongs in it... I didn't care one way or another, as I am used to strange situations happening when the bike is out of storage, even if for a quick dusting off around the parking lot. Last summer I rode to see a friend of mine - they live in a small gated community where most residents are ex soviets - even the air smells like motherland - homemade food, cigarettes and tea with lemon. A few elders chased after me exclaiming and calling their wives out to come see the bike from Kiev... One guy was tenderly petting the side of the bike's tank as he recalled the old days. As I was leaving they asked me to please come over again - don't forget them. Now I live with the guilt of not stopping there too often... I have yet to experience the - why did you buy this shitty bike... comment.
Other than that I was asked - is it an Indian, is it a BSA, is it a Triumph... BSA and Indians do come up more often than others... go figure...
Other bikers normally wave or/and leave a comment. So far that's about it.
Max
1965 MB750
1958 M72H
2013 Retro
2010 Red October
Gone but not forgotten:
198? MT-16
1997 Ural/BMW conversion (R60/5)