Russian haters ....

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by Niteblues » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Most Russians I have met look just like your next door neighbors. Until they speak you would never know they're not American.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

EASirider
Party Member
Party Member

Post by EASirider » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Niteblues wrote:Most Russians I have met look just like your next door neighbors. Until they speak you would never know they're not American.
You are absolutely right about that. All us white people look the same anyway.... :sarcasm:
Have fun now, while you still can.

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Hotflash made an interesting mention - I do remember back in the 60's when the Japanese bikes started appearing, mostly step-thrus type thing (me dad had a Honda C50 for a while) WW2 was still fresh in the folk memory so there was always the not so distant echo of Japanese war atrocities etc...

Then the BMW's during the 70's, with the unavoidable Nazi / Hitler skeleton rattling in a closet in the background...
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:10 pm

The name of this site is Soviet Steeds so if one is easily offended by Communist innuendos and/or inside jokes... Just some gentle joshing.

Born in 1959 to an Air Force family, so I do get the whole Cold War era misgivings as I grew up with NATO vs. Warsaw Pact and proxy wars.

In 14 years of having my Ural, I’ve only had one catcall. Guy leaned out of his pickup and called me a Nazi at a stoplight. I replied “Well, actually it’s Russian” and rode on.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:21 pm

sagerat wrote: In 14 years of having my Ural, I’ve only had one catcall. Guy leaned out of his pickup and called me a Nazi at a stoplight. I replied “Well, actually it’s Russian” and rode on.
:lol:

One of the very few negative comments I've received was basically the same, and from someone who's bumper stickers indicated their politics were on the extreme left.

The thing about ignorant people is.....well.....they're ignorant. :deal:
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by immulmen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:49 am

Was riding down a back road on my Chang when a guy noticed me and gave me a Nazi salute.
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:22 am

Once in Florida, I had someone holler, "What kind of bike is that?". When I told him it was Russian, he said "F**king Commie".
I was surprised because I was sure he was a Mensa member in his jacked up, loud piped, rusty pick-up. :roll:
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:01 pm

My Urals have been Kid & Babe magnets, No Nasty's. Oddly Enough My civilian Royal Enfield gets lots of attention. A surprising number of east Indians have been really glad to see it here. One guy hugged me & almost cried - it made him so home sick. I'll bet he went home & started shopping for one.
Now that I'm back in North Ga., there is no doubt (when on the Ural) that I'm not from "around here".
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:51 pm

sorry to say, but the babe magnet part is because of our old age the young girls think we are harmless,little do they know! :old: :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:56 pm

I'm an ex Cold Warrior. I tell them it's spoils of war. If they persist, I tell them the truth, how my outfit was a gift from one dying vet to another.

That shuts them up quick.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm

I have a good Polish friend who was born in Poland. He is very familiar with the Ural. He saw many of them in Poland after the war. He said when they found them abandoned they checked the gas tank first. If there was gas in the tank, they figured the bike was broken. If the tank was empty they got gas and took the bike. He said later the Russians came and confiscated them.
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterson (1908)

Now 2017 GearUp (Maruska) and BMW 1150GSA (03)
Past scoots: gone but not forgotten :D
Whizzer Motorbike in 1956, Kaw 175, Suzuki SP370, Suzuki DR400, Yamaha SR500, Suzuki GS1000 (78), BMW R100RS (84), BMW R100S (81), Ural Patrol (09)

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 pm

I think its a matter of perspective.

Its not the Russian people who cause the issues, its the government.

I have had 4 Japanese motorcycles. Yep, my dad fought em in the Pacific. Gives me the heebies to see all the Japanese tourists in the Cemetery of the Pacific out of Honolulu. I don't think it should be allowed.

I hate to put down the Allies thing but they stabbed Poland in the back in WWII while the Germans were stabbing them in the front, Allies of convenience only (ask the Easter Europeans)

In perspective, its not like Ural is a strategic asset and it is employing some Russians in what I think of as a good trade and exchange. Think of it as subverting the resurrected Soviet system! Russians employed because of American, I kind of like that.

I did think the thing about the Goldwing was damned funny. The parable is probably watch it when you get on your high horse!

And yes, I to got a politically incorrect hand me down from a WWII vet, we both knew what it meant and I am proud to own it for him because of that.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Wildhorse Cafe

Re: Russian haters

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Ural drivers are like John Wayne toilet paper, we're rough and tough and don't take sh** off of nobody.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Ural.

Built with love, by the people Ronald Reagan helped liberate from communism, as a thank you to Americans.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am

sixbennetts wrote:Ural.

Built with love, by the people Ronald Reagan helped liberate from communism, as a thank you to Americans.
Wow, didn't know he pi$$ed them off that much. :D
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar