Your thoughts on this route with a new 2007 GearUp...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Disagreeing is ok....Not my rig to worry over, but.......

Post by a1930ford » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:29 am

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Al
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Big Al » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Sounds like an awesome adventure! Alaska near the top on my list of "places to ride on the Ural" I look forward to seeing your pictures upon your return.

I wouldn't worry about setting off on a long trip on such a new bike. Last summer I set off on a 22,000km trip with only 1500km on my 2007 Gear Up.

You can read about it here if you'd like:

www.als-adventures.blogspot.com

The only "special equipment" I had were a few misc. spare parts that Ken from OVC recommended I take, a case of oil, and a CAA card. In the two months I was gone I only had one minor problem that was fixed in half an hour.

Best of luck!

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Yes, definitely take pictures.. It would suck if you went without a camera - I do that all too often.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Re: trip on new bike

Post by JohnBG » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 pm

wyowillys46 wrote:
JohnBG wrote: Sorry Huey I gotta disagree...

IMO that slow break thing in is :bs: for the newer bikes (It was the par for the old 650 mostly Russian bikes)

For the first 500km, keep it under 50 mph (don't lug it) with plenty of heat/cool cycles, and then change the oils, adjust the valve clearance (while cold), re-tighten all the nuts & bolts and then ride it like ya stole it and ya don't care who has it after ya. :P (That's what my dealer told me)

With the new herzog Kraut CNC tower, tranny and FD gears you'll get on yer new rig, ya won't have to worry so much "bedding" of the gears like ya had to with the old Rooskie ones. 8)

I'll take baloney for $500 Alex. From the 2007 Tourist, Patrol, Gear-Up, Owners manual page 32.

"The running in period for the motorcycle is the first 1500 km."

Yes, most bugs will work themselves out in the first 500 km. Yes, things are different now that the bikes come with new Herzog gears. However, don't fool yourself that it's done breaking in. Most new cars (which are built to a higher standard than Urals) require 500-600 miles during their break-in period. Don't give your dealer a reason to deny warranty coverage (which I don't think would really happen) because you neglected to follow the written directions in the owners manual. There is good advice on this board, but I would suggest not disregarding the official break-in instructions.

I think you mentioned over on ADV that you were going to be doing 45- 50 MPH average. That shouldn't be a problem at all.
Here it is from page 32 with emphasis in bold.

RUNNING IN THE NEW MOTORCYCLE
The running-in period for the motorcycle is the first 1,500 km. There are no special procedures that must be followed, but during the running-in period, a new motorcycle requires the most careful attention. In the course of this period, do not overload the machine. Avoid traveling on freeways and climbing steep hills. Do not race the engine or overheat it at any time. Vary the throttle setting frequently, so as to avoid constant RPMs. Allow the new engine frequent rest periods for cooling down.

"no special procedures" - seems pretty straight forward if ya ask me.

Still, I'll follow the advice from my dealer. Take it easy (under 50 mph) the first 500km and then change all the oils, adjust the valves, and then run the dog-snot out of it. :P

There aint a whole lotta difference between 501km and 1499km.

Take yer trip Spicy! 8)

Ride that sucker! :moto:

Besides there is no way to void a freakin warranty anyhow unless you modify the bike somehow and that modification causes the problem. See the Manguson-Moss Warranty Act.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Re: Disagreeing is ok....Not my rig to worry over, but......

Post by JohnBG » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:48 pm

a1930ford wrote:I don't believe my original post actually said to do a (slow) run-in/wear-in.
Sorry, I was addressing a few posts with a single one. There's a few folks that believe that th bike isn't broke in for 10,000 km.
The "drive it like you stole it" theory of Motoman and others is something that I can't say I'd necesssarily be suggesting to someone with no sidecar experience under their belt. 500km is no guarantee that the pilot is going to have all that much experience in the unique characteristics of a hack. Maybe he will and maybe he won't, but I'd tend to be doubtful about it.

With a Jap bike (not sidecar rig), I sort of hold to the exact opposite as to the wear-in of such, and have to say I'd be in the Motoman camp on that one. A few years back I was an absolute believer in the wear-in af the Motoman theory. However, several Ural owners pointed out that this was just not the way to go on a Ural at the time. Although I can't say I took their advise for the reason they gave, I am glad I got to know my own skills and abilities before I hit Mach speed on a sidecar rig. Like most sidecarists, there was no training except for real life experience. If I had followed through with the break-in and "riding it as if I stole it," I suspect I'd presently be six feet under, but still thinking, "Man, that was fun while it lasted."
Oh please... If you aint learned the essential basics of how to pilot a sidecar rig in the first 500km, you prolly aren't ever gonna get it. Read the "Riding the Sidecar Outfit" manual that comes with your rig and practice the execrcises. That's it. It's driving a sidecar rig, not flying a space shuttle. Just remember they are different than two-wheelers

Good thing we aren't sissies or anything. :P

Please somebody fly me to Alaska and loan me a Patrol or Gear-up and I'll have the adventure of a lifetime. Please, I would give my left nut for a trip like that and wouldn't let a bunch wet blankets talk me out of it.

Life is too short to be a worry-wart. Just practice and don't thet your ego write checks your a$$ can't cash.
In listening to all the various YouTube Ural videos, I can almost hear the slow shift pattern of most Ural owners in my sleep. I can't say that I ever hear anyone else winding their tranny up like a Jap bike.
Ya musta missed Cob's videos in the woods then. He keeps that sucker wound up good. There is no ill effect of winding out the transmission. You can wind 3rd gear almost all the way to 60mph.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"

Current Rides:

History:
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

greenmachine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by greenmachine » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Ya'll talk pretty big for a bunch of miserable pudknockers that don't apparently get out and ride all that much....

:-))

seriously, I never suggest to ANYBODY to take off on a long trip without sorting themselves and their rigs. It can and is done all the time. Some folks come to a sticky end and some folks sail through without a hiccup. Ya git what ya git.
But is it a WISE thing? NO.

I do LOTS of things that aren't the best idea. All the time. That still don't make em GOOD ideas.... just stuff that didn't actually git me kilt at that particular time....

:-)

We read an awful lot of posts of owners having various " issues " which they are not well equipped to handle even in their own garages. Every rig needs a bit of shake-down time to get tweaked properly. One CAN do this whilst on the road... no problemo... but it may or may not be more pleasant if it gets tweaked BEFORE headin out on the long haul. It's not so much a matter of if the rig needs to be " broken in " so much as the probability of stuff breaking fairly early in the ownership experience...

I spent about half of this last year out on various trips. The dreaded Frog-of-War covered about half the country... but GOT to each area nestled in the back of a our garage-coach. I'm adventurous, but I ain't STUPID....
On the other hand, at this point my rig has gone long past the point of needing to get a " shake down " . We had no real issues that I recall other than one wheel calling it quits and pretty much just falling to pieces. Not a major problem, just an inconvenience. We had no engine or chassis failures of any sort. A couple minor electrical issues here and there.

When we get our motorhome to wherever it is we were going, then Froggy is our local transportation and means to do our tourist stuff, haul the groceries and whatever. Froggy has never made us walk. This is a GOOD thing.

On the OTHER hand.... I keep a few spares and as a last resort I have a rope puller to drag his sploded butt up into the back of the Big Babushka when he decides his time on this earth is ended.

Not that I don't trust a russian rig implicitly.... but hey... I may be ignorant but I ain't STUPID...

It seems the probability of having a mechanical problem is directly related to the distance from home and darkness of the night. It is inversely related to the outside air temperature and the weight of the spares in the trunk...

So, in summation..... When ya feel you and your rig are ready and want to go on a long trip, then please do so.

Have FUN and ride SAFE.

;-)
kermitski

Y2K/750 Patrol
317,000 K and still under way and quite GREEN ....
Russian biker has-been....
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of the goofy thing...
:-))

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:58 pm

JohnBG wrote: Please somebody fly me to Alaska and loan me a Patrol or Gear-up and I'll have the adventure of a lifetime. Please, I would give my left nut for a trip like that and wouldn't let a bunch wet blankets talk me out of it.

Life is too short to be a worry-wart. Just practice and don't thet your ego write checks your a$$ can't cash.
I will admit, I was surprised at the number of "don't do it" or "I wouldn't do it" replies I've gotten. Maybe I'm a bit more adventurous than most. Maybe I'm stupider. Maybe both.

But the damn thing was meant to be RIDDEN...and dammit, that's what I'm gonna do!!!

Unfortunately, some other things non-moto related have come up that may shorten the trip, but it will still be a solid 1000-1500 mile ride.

As tough as the Ural's are, there seems to be a few riders that aren't anywhere near as tough...! :D

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Hummm

Post by a1930ford » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:29 pm

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:53 pm

kermitski said "I may be ignorant but I ain't STUPID". he's a modern day poet and i'd listen to him.

yer taking the right steps by gaining insight concening the tasks at hand.
get that rig, make it you own and then ride it within its and *your* limits.
After a few hundered kms you'll know if it's right for you and you'll be posting to the newbies about what to do.
A year from now somone will be asking about a long trip with a new ride and you'll have the "been there done that" that these guys are looking for.
keep it up, you'll be fine
seth

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
JohnBG wrote: Please somebody fly me to Alaska and loan me a Patrol or Gear-up and I'll have the adventure of a lifetime. Please, I would give my left nut for a trip like that and wouldn't let a bunch wet blankets talk me out of it.

I will admit, I was surprised at the number of "don't do it" or "I wouldn't do it" replies I've gotten. Maybe I'm a bit more adventurous than most. Maybe I'm stupider. Maybe both.

But the damn thing was meant to be RIDDEN...and dammit, that's what I'm gonna do!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I wish I was going with ya. :cry:

Getting up to the NW and going Ural-ing with Mr. Cob is still on my Top 10 list of things to do!

Ride that bugger and take lotsa pictures! 8)
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"

Current Rides:

History:
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100