Your thoughts on this route with a new 2007 GearUp...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Your thoughts on this route with a new 2007 GearUp...

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 am

Fellers,

In the next month or so I'll be bringing home my new 2007 GearUp.

The first plan of business is to start riding it and to get the first 500k put on it at break-in speed/use, here on Juneau. I know I can get the 300+ miles needed for that service.

My next plan of business is much bigger...it involves around 2300 miles over a period of roughly 2 weeks, on some of the most beautiful roads this Country has to offer. My very tentative (with rough mileage) itinerary follows:

Note: Days 1-3 are with wife riding her TW200 and my son in the hack. EDIT: The rest of the trip is me SOLO on the Ural.
Day 1: Haines, AK to Haines Junction, YT = 150 miles
Day 2: Haines Junction, YT to Whitehorse, YT = 100 miles
Day 3: Whitehorse, YT to Skagway, AK = 110 miles
Day 4: Skagway, AK to Carmacks, YT = 229 miles
Day 5: Carmacks, YT to Dawson, YT = 220 miles
Day 6: Dust 2 Dawson Dual Sport Event = 100 miles
Day 7: Dawson, YT to Tok, AK (stop-off at Eagle, AK) = 295 miles
Day 8: Tok, AK to Fairbanks, AK = 200 miles
Day 9: Fairbanks, AK to Denali Highway = 150-200 miles
Day 10: Denali Highway to Gakona, AK = 175-200 miles
Day 11: Gakona, AK to Tok, AK = 120 miles
Day 12: Tok, AK to Somewhere on AK Highway = 220 miles
Day 13: Somewhere on AK Highway to Haines, AK = 220 miles
Ferry back to Juneau for some rest!

So...if I pursue this plan, what concerns should I have in regards to the moto? Anything specific I should be planning, or carrying with me? I don't HAVE to do the entire 2 weeks, but would REALLY love it, since I can get the time off and the wife has given me the :thumbsup!:

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't know how many miles I'll have before I leave for day #1, but it will be at least 350-400 (not a lot of roads here on Juneau for break-in trips!).

Thanks!!!
Spicy
Last edited by Spicy McHaggis on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:05 am

People have done much more mileage than that with a new Ural, not a 2008, which is the best built so far, and not in Alaska, which is pretty rough country. However, I do not doubt that it could be done, if you take care not to stress the frame by speeding through the rough stuff. I have been all over the Arizona desert with mine, over extreme rough terrain, with no damage, because I don't go fast. Climbing any incline that is rough is not nice for you, or the rig, as the gearing sucks big time; if ever there was a rig needing a transfer case, the Ural is it. Without modification, the clutch will heat up, and stick if abused.

Having a second bike along is essential, so long as the experience of BOTH riders is sufficient for the journey. If you have no experience of sidecar riding, you are in for a rapid learning experience, or the grave.

These rigs are great, they will go about anywhere you dare try, and probably a lot farther, but they need to be controlled specifically. So, the rig should be able to do the journey, if you are.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

redflasher
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by redflasher » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 am

Do you have any previous hack experience?

You can never learn everything but it takes awhile to figure it out.

I've only got about 22,000 miles on two different outfits and I think I learn something new everytime I crank one up and head out.

Quite an ambitious trip you are planning. Wish I was going along :moto:
Bob in Minnesota
Former GearUP owner
Can Am Spyder 2012 RT A&C

'Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.'

'Whilst sidecaring definitely builds both character and muscles, it's not as difficult as some people claim'

chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by chicagorandy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:36 am

It being WINTER and all, I'd suggest a reliable pursuit vehicle with working heater and emergency provisions?

Ural gremlins tend to appear in the first couple thousand miles. Just me, but when I've been left stranded 4 times by my bike (admittedly caused by the old style alternator, but stranded none the less) it was at least kinda warm out and in relative civilization. I wasn't concerned about freezing to death or getting eaten by a moose or sumthin'
:D

Sounds like quite the adventure. Stay safe.
ChicagoRandy

Former Ural driver of Tovarishch - 82,825 since new - sold 08/14/11

1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII - 1200cc's of two wheel bliss
"Down the highway of life at smiles per hour, with special attention to ignorant and blind cagers"

QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Post by QBall » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 am

RedFlasher asks a key question. Do oyu have experience with a side car rig? If not it sucks to learn with real LIVE weight. If you want to do it great, but dont subject someone else to the horror you may experience :roll:

My friend a I both bought new rigs and the rode them home from Maine to Connecticut. Thje 5 hour ride tooh us 2 days. While we made it safe it was propably a month until I got comfortable riding the hack. Tha main issues were the ridgid mount with off camber turns, Direct steer VS counter steer, and the push and pull of the car during excel and deceleration. (amplified with balast)

If you are cautios and observant it could be a great trip.

Have fun, ride safe and keep us posted
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Your thoughts on this route with a new 2007 GearUp...

Post by berger » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:06 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:Fellers,

In the next month or so I'll be bringing home my new 2007 GearUp.

The first plan of business is to start riding it and to get the first 500k put on it at break-in speed/use, here on Juneau. I know I can get the 300+ miles needed for that service.

My next plan of business is much bigger...it involves around 2300 miles over a period of roughly 2 weeks, on some of the most beautiful roads this Country has to offer. My very tentative (with rough mileage) itinerary follows:

Note: Days 1-3 are with wife riding her TW200 and my son in the hack.
Day 1: Haines, AK to Haines Junction, YT = 150 miles
Day 2: Haines Junction, YT to Whitehorse, YT = 100 miles
Day 3: Whitehorse, YT to Skagway, AK = 110 miles
Day 4: Skagway, AK to Carmacks, YT = 229 miles
Day 5: Carmacks, YT to Dawson, YT = 220 miles
Day 6: Dust 2 Dawson Dual Sport Event = 100 miles
Day 7: Dawson, YT to Tok, AK (stop-off at Eagle, AK) = 295 miles
Day 8: Tok, AK to Fairbanks, AK = 200 miles
Day 9: Fairbanks, AK to Denali Highway = 150-200 miles
Day 10: Denali Highway to Gakona, AK = 175-200 miles
Day 11: Gakona, AK to Tok, AK = 120 miles
Day 12: Tok, AK to Somewhere on AK Highway = 220 miles
Day 13: Somewhere on AK Highway to Haines, AK = 220 miles
Ferry back to Juneau for some rest!

So...if I pursue this plan, what concerns should I have in regards to the moto? Anything specific I should be planning, or carrying with me? I don't HAVE to do the entire 2 weeks, but would REALLY love it, since I can get the time off and the wife has given me the :thumbsup!:

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't know how many miles I'll have before I leave for day #1, but it will be at least 350-400 (not a lot of roads here on Juneau for break-in trips!).

Thanks!!!
Spicy
Quite an ambitious trip!

Don't forget that you might want to bring along a new oitl filter and be prepared to do some oil/tranny/fd oil changes. Depending on the weather you encounter, you might also want to bring a spare air filter (KN) to replace the OEM when it gets bogged down because of wet snow.

Have fun!! :D

Berger
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

George Butz
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by George Butz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:57 am

Urals are pretty tough machines. After the 500k break-in, you still have some more kms to run in the machine. You can expect some things to need attention. (read: go wrong) Electrical Gremlins and tightening things up. Where you are going may not be the place you want to figure out why the headlight went out. That is the easy part.
The most important part is are <U> YOU</U> ready for the trip? Do you have hack training? A down hill right turn into a hairpin is not where you want to learn. I'm sittin here in nice, flat, Florida, and a noob at hacking at that, but I lived in Colorado and have rode high country passes, like Wolf Creek on an ElectraGlide. Those places are a challenge for an seasoned rider. A hack isn't inherently dangerous, but is rather unforgiving.
After you get the machine, and white knuckle those first few miles, you might want to put it off til Summer. Stay warm up there and get that yellow book from your dealer.
Where you live is a wonderful place, the roads will be there waiting. :)
Сьюзи (2007 homemade Gear-up)
(1988 BMW conversion)
http://www.easternbloc.biz

heindlengineeringural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by heindlengineeringural » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:02 am

Everybody keeps referring to the weather, but I keep reading the post and I don't see a date when he is doing the trip....
I would venture to guess that you will have very few (if any) problems. This past summer, we sold a tourist to some folks in Kansas, broke it in for them, did the first 500km service, taught the lady how to drive the hack rig, and she left for Kansas. Rig now has 10,000km plus km with the only problem being a broken brake sping.
Alaska is great....I was there on two wheels a couple of years ago and have always wanted to go back.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
www.heindlengineering.com
sales@heindlengineering.com

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:19 pm

Sorry everyone, I forgot to mention the date (assumed everyone knew about the D2D event).

The ride will be occurring in June of this year. :D

Thanks for the replies. This is my first hack-moto, so NO at this point I have no experience.

Gonna hit the sack - I'm sick today - but will read the replies in more detail later today.

Spicy

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Just keep in mid that miles ridden on a hack are more strenuous on the body than miles on a two-wheeler and from some of the ADV-Rider pictures I've seen, the Alaska roads can leave a little something to be desired.

Seems like a decent Ural pace if you are in good health and have good endurance.

Pack plenty of spare stuff and bear repellant! :P
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 pm

The one repellent you really need, in June, ain't so much the Bear type, but the giant flying bug repellent.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

Scott in Shoreview
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Scott in Shoreview » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Sounds like a great ride and mileage per day looks do-able. Try to get some experience riding a rig before you go and read the book on how to ride a hack. I've been riding one about 6 months and ever so often I discover new ways to dirty my shorts :o

One item that seems to go early is the flasher due to a cheap one coming from the manufacturer so be sure to bring a spare.

Good luck,

Scott in Shoreview
'02 Tourist
Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Ural-less for now
scott@digital-dog-productions.com

jerbunch
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jerbunch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:58 pm

June in Alaska!!!! Sounds Great!! Have a safe trip, and take lots of pics!
Jerbunch

2011 Patrol, White "Stoli"
05 Patrol (gone, but not forgotten)
05 Stella
2011 Super Low HD
2009 Burgman 650
2007 BMW R1200RT
2007 BMW F800ST

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Sorry guys, I just went back and edited my original post. Forgot to mention that only the first 3 days are with the wife and kid...the rest of the trip is me solo, on the Ural.

QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Post by QBall » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:35 pm

You will always remember it and talk about it forever. Have a great trip and take lots of pictures. If you have a friend with a Ural two is always a great time.
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut