Attention Newly Registered Members!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
User avatar
Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 19310
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 am

er207321 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:33 am
I'm 76 riding all brand's since I was 14 mostly HD . This is my first hack 2008 Patrol .makes me feel young again. The wife and dog love it. Ernie Brunswick , me.

welcome aboard Ernie!


:thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:19 am

Albuquralque wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 am
er207321 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:33 am
I'm 76 riding all brand's since I was 14 mostly HD . This is my first hack 2008 Patrol .makes me feel young again. The wife and dog love it. Ernie Brunswick , me.

welcome aboard Ernie!


:thumbsup:
welcome Ernie, i know what your sayin im 75 and have the same thoughts, just keep the arm strength up and your good to go,enjoy the ride/forum. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
Penrod
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by Penrod » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 am

Welcome aboard. Suggestion: go to profile and add a signature line that will appear at the bottom of your posts- as you see at the bottom of this one. I'm in Levant, outside of Bangor.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

User avatar
CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 am
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by CarlS » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 am

er207321 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:33 am
I'm 76 riding all brand's since I was 14 mostly HD . This is my first hack 2008 Patrol .makes me feel young again. The wife and dog love it. Ernie Brunswick , me.
Welcome to SS and congrats on your Patrol.
Carl S
Old Soldier


Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

User avatar
GoatTracks
New Member
New Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by GoatTracks » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm

OK so, I've been looking at Urals off and on for a couple years and trying to decide if I wanted to take the plunge. One day randomly searching Craigslist this summer I found "the" Ural. So, I drove 8 hours to look at it and came home with an '07 Gear-up in original and 'custom' (rattlecan) camo that's been lovingly beaten up, crashed, salvage titled, had the forks rebuilt and the dents hammered out of the front of hack, and was suffering from want of some loving mechanical attention (ie, the brakes on it were more of a theory than a working item when I rolled it off the trailer). On the upside: it's in very good overall mechanical condition. It starts easily, runs strong and has yet to pi$$ any fluids whatsoever...but it has a small host of idiosyncracies I'm working through...like, the headlight works- until it doesn't...then you give it a solid whack with your palm and it works again. It's been off-roaded a lot and generally used for what they were originally intended for, so it was perfect for me, as I intended to beat it around and couldn't justify the price of a new rig for riding the mud roads and creek beds. I'm actually quite shocked at how easy they are to work on (so far) and the tips and tricks in the forums here are extremely helpful! Like, how to get it on the center stand without giving yourself a hernia, and stuff. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it and my dog is too! Always wanted to have a ride I could take the Dane in. Next, a machine gun mount... Anyway, I'll shaddup. Nice to meet you guys and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I dig deeper into the rig. Wewt.
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

User avatar
Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 9925
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm
Location: Rockmart GA

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by Niteblues » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am

GoatTracks wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm
OK so, I've been looking at Urals off and on for a couple years and trying to decide if I wanted to take the plunge. One day randomly searching Craigslist this summer I found "the" Ural. So, I drove 8 hours to look at it and came home with an '07 Gear-up in original and 'custom' (rattlecan) camo that's been lovingly beaten up, crashed, salvage titled, had the forks rebuilt and the dents hammered out of the front of hack, and was suffering from want of some loving mechanical attention (ie, the brakes on it were more of a theory than a working item when I rolled it off the trailer). On the upside: it's in very good overall mechanical condition. It starts easily, runs strong and has yet to pi$$ any fluids whatsoever...but it has a small host of idiosyncracies I'm working through...like, the headlight works- until it doesn't...then you give it a solid whack with your palm and it works again. It's been off-roaded a lot and generally used for what they were originally intended for, so it was perfect for me, as I intended to beat it around and couldn't justify the price of a new rig for riding the mud roads and creek beds. I'm actually quite shocked at how easy they are to work on (so far) and the tips and tricks in the forums here are extremely helpful! Like, how to get it on the center stand without giving yourself a hernia, and stuff. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it and my dog is too! Always wanted to have a ride I could take the Dane in. Next, a machine gun mount... Anyway, I'll shaddup. Nice to meet you guys and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I dig deeper into the rig. Wewt.
:thumbsup:

put your location in your signature or profile. maybe you're near someone to ride with...
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

User avatar
Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 19310
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by Albuquralque » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:12 am

Niteblues wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am
GoatTracks wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm
OK so, I've been looking at Urals off and on for a couple years and trying to decide if I wanted to take the plunge. One day randomly searching Craigslist this summer I found "the" Ural. So, I drove 8 hours to look at it and came home with an '07 Gear-up in original and 'custom' (rattlecan) camo that's been lovingly beaten up, crashed, salvage titled, had the forks rebuilt and the dents hammered out of the front of hack, and was suffering from want of some loving mechanical attention (ie, the brakes on it were more of a theory than a working item when I rolled it off the trailer). On the upside: it's in very good overall mechanical condition. It starts easily, runs strong and has yet to pi$$ any fluids whatsoever...but it has a small host of idiosyncracies I'm working through...like, the headlight works- until it doesn't...then you give it a solid whack with your palm and it works again. It's been off-roaded a lot and generally used for what they were originally intended for, so it was perfect for me, as I intended to beat it around and couldn't justify the price of a new rig for riding the mud roads and creek beds. I'm actually quite shocked at how easy they are to work on (so far) and the tips and tricks in the forums here are extremely helpful! Like, how to get it on the center stand without giving yourself a hernia, and stuff. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it and my dog is too! Always wanted to have a ride I could take the Dane in. Next, a machine gun mount... Anyway, I'll shaddup. Nice to meet you guys and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I dig deeper into the rig. Wewt.
:thumbsup:

put your location in your signature or profile. maybe you're near someone to ride with...


+1
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

User avatar
GoatTracks
New Member
New Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by GoatTracks » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Oh, I almost never ride with anyone else, that's what Dog is for!

BUTT-T-T-T if there's anyone else in central Iowa with a hack that wants to go for a ride I'm down!
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

OO05REN
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by OO05REN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Well I've joined the club ..... not had time to search here in depth but is there anyone else with a 1965 M-63 :D
I've taken delivery today - a little easier for me as I'm based in Eastern Kazakhstan and there are plenty of Urals here for cheap pickings.
Mine has been fully restored and loved but it lacks a sidecar (I'm in the process of finding one locally to restore to the same level as the bike.

So there are 3 of us now in our little expat Ural owners club here in Atyrau - looking forward to a few rides and asking loads of questions.

Ren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 pm

beautiful Ural,i like the Bakelite air box lid that would be hard to find outside of your area IMO. might want to add some info to your signature line. :cheers: P.S. crazy as it might sound to the uneducated your bike has a River near you named after it,or is the bike named for the river? :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
Sergei Danilov
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by Sergei Danilov » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi everyone

DirtBikeMike07
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:49 am
Location: Eastern Washington

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by DirtBikeMike07 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:07 am

Hello, I have been a member for almost a year. Reading and dreaming of owning a Ural. I have been searching local Craigslist's for them for about a 2 years. I read the whole "why you shouldn't buy a Ural" thread on that one site. Read a bunch here too.
But I still wanted one. As strange as it and I may be, I almost miss the old days when I started riding, and you carried tools because you needed them and the knowledge to use them, to get home sometimes. Most of my bikes are modern well maintained Honda's and I have not carried or needed tools for many years!
And I love the old simple technology of a Ural.
I almost gave up because Urals of any kind are way out of my budget. For a guy with low income, lots of bills and several current bike projects it just didn't seem possible.
Then the Cannonball motorcycle race came by my town and I got to see all the old bikes being used. Seeing all those old, some rusty and most leaky bikes sparked my interest again. I wanted an old crusty bike to ride!
Then I found one in a box! I picked up a 77 M67! The guy took it apart to repaint it and then had a couple kids. He found no time to work on it and let it go cheap. It's pretty crusty but not bad for a 41 year old machine.
I have fixed worse. It came with service, repair and parts manuals but I will still have questions to ask here I think. I try my best to find out what I need before I post and ask annoying questions.
If I had my way I would own a newer 2wd model in camo but in reality that's not going to happen anytime soon. So I got what I could afford and actually look forward to all the work it's going to be to get this painted and back up and running again. I can't trust any used bike till I take it all apart and go through everything. So this way I saved a bit of time! :cheers:

Post Reply