Attention Newly Registered Members!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by chaos2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:30 pm

BlueRockCrawler wrote:Hello all,
(it was like looking at puppies, of course you're going home with one)
:thumbsup: Been there, bought mine maybe 30 minutes after walking in the dealers showroom having never seen a Ural in the flesh before. Remember, pics or it didn't happen.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Alan_Hepburn
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:33 pm

micahbf wrote: Also if anyone in the SF Bay Area would ever want to show me the ropes, either riding technique wise, or mechanically, I would certainly be down for that. In the mean time, I'm studying up with the yellow book.

Cheers!
Micah
Hi Micah! Two suggestions for you:

1. Stop by TriQuest in Santa Clara - Ski will be happy to talk Urals with you until you're tired of it!
2. Join our Facebook group - Bay Area Sidecar Enthusiasts - you'll meet a bunch of great people (and a few characters!) and find out about upcoming rides.
Alan Hepburn - Proud to be a Blue Star Family
2006 Ural Tourist

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 am

chaos2 wrote:
:thumbsup: Been there, bought mine maybe 30 minutes after walking in the dealers showroom having never seen a Ural in the flesh before. Remember, pics or it didn't happen.
Now that it has decided to quit snowing here, I may be able to get some good pics.
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

micahbf
Comrade
Comrade

Post by micahbf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Alan_Hepburn wrote:
micahbf wrote: Also if anyone in the SF Bay Area would ever want to show me the ropes, either riding technique wise, or mechanically, I would certainly be down for that. In the mean time, I'm studying up with the yellow book.

Cheers!
Micah
Hi Micah! Two suggestions for you:

1. Stop by TriQuest in Santa Clara - Ski will be happy to talk Urals with you until you're tired of it!
2. Join our Facebook group - Bay Area Sidecar Enthusiasts - you'll meet a bunch of great people (and a few characters!) and find out about upcoming rides.
Thanks for the tips! I actually already tried joining the facebook group, but haven't been approved yet. And I'll make sure to pay Ski a visit!
'09 Sahara Gear Up (deceased)

Piratrider

Post by Piratrider » Thu May 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Hello from South Texas!

I will be taking owner ship in two weeks of a 1967 M63 in two weeks. It was restored in Russia and has been in storage for 6 years. I am sure I have a a month or two of love to get it fully functional. It was stored properly know it would be held for a while.

I fell in love with these scoots while living in Russia for a couple years. Looking forward to asking a lot of stupid questions. It has been 30 years since I have had a kick start scoot and could not be more excited!

Will post pics when I fiqure out how.
Pirate Rider

1967 Ural M63 (The Old)
2003 VRod 100 Anniversary (The Fast)
2011 Harley Limited (The Comfortable)

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Sun May 08, 2016 1:13 pm

chaos2 wrote:
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

NachoRoto

Post by NachoRoto » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:09 am

Hello
New guy here. I don’t have a Ural yet. But think I am ready to take the plunge when I get back from Alaska. I have read good and bad. I am not really sure it will be right for me as an only bike. I travel around the country for work. I usually Vstrom on my Vstrom. I do 13 week assignments in different Hospitals. So there would be a few long rides every 13 weeks and then used as a commuter while I am where ever it is. I have strong mechanics skills. And don’t mind working on things. I had a GS a few years back. I did the valves myself and replaced the entire wiring harness. I also rebuilt the final drive and fix many issues. I am not shy with a wrench. I take direction well. So I can usually pick up a manual and or watch a video and get thru stuff.
My birthday is in August. And I have slowed down a lot. I have a scooter and my DL1000. I am thinking about getting rid of the scooter and getting the Ural. And maybe sell the VStrom down the road once i have time to get comfy on the Ural. I am now in Barrow Alaska Bikeless. I am losing my mind bored. 23 days left here. And I want to spend some of the cash I have made. Do you think a well maintained Ural can handle my habits? Long trips, light offroad and a big old fat guy behind the bars with his trusty co-pilot?

Screw this :bs: Sh%$. I will meet you there.....

scan
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:32 am

I bet your co-pilot would like the sidecar. IMO and there are a lot of them on this subject the Ural is not a highway bike but neither is that scooter. The Ural is most comfortable tooling around the off beaten path not superslabs where you get passed at 60MPH like you are standing still. Sure you can take a WWII era bike to its mechanical limits for hours at a time in the slow lane but do you really want to?
Now on the flip side a Ural is a blast to drive everywhere else. You can read a lot of posts about people getting a Ural and selling whatever they have in their garage because they no longer ride anything else.
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

NachoRoto

Post by NachoRoto » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I do travel some interstate. But only if I have too. I can't help the trade off would be worth it. I did travel the country for years on a klr650. I get the pace. But what fun it would be once in a new area. And the dog could finally stay with me.

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Sounds like it would be a good fit. My guy gets excited every time I pull my riding jacket out. He's out so much he is starting to get irritations from his Doggles.

Go on YouTube and check out gobium42 listings. Great stuff on fixing/moding/running urals!

Used is good. GU is my favorite bike now. The beemer languishes :wtf:

Have a ball!!!!
Hannity in sidecar2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Sounds like it would be a good fit. My guy gets excited every time I pull my riding jacket out. He's out so much he is starting to get irritations from his Doggles.

Go on YouTube and check out gobium42 listings. Great stuff on fixing/moding/running urals!

Used is good. GU is my favorite bike now. The beemer languishes :wtf:

Have a ball!!!!
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

NachoRoto

Post by NachoRoto » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:39 pm

I tried doogles on him. His nose roll just makes it not happen. We will need a windshield. I know the slow going will make the long trips a bit longer. But if it only adds a day, I can deal with it. I think about last fall in Colorado. I had such a good time. I would of had even more fun with the Ural. Once the snow came, I was just pretty much going to work and back. The Ural would of been great. I ride my scooter long distances too. Like someone said, “Its nice how it makes you slow down and see things”. The Ural would replace the scooter. The VStrom will be a crutch until I find I don’t need it anymore.

scan
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:29 pm

Sounds like a Ural is in your future. I know my Ural has changed my life as corny as it may sound. My kids love it. I have met literally a 100 people in the last year. Total conversation piece. They are very very rare where I live which I'm sure has a lot to do with it. I went with a new bike (fuel injection/ disc brakes) but a well cared for older bike should be just fine.
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

NachoRoto

Post by NachoRoto » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:59 pm

I admit having to learn a bunch of new things is intimidating. But exciting at the same time. I think I am going to take the advice of the server and buy something older and used to cut my teeth. And then go all in once I get hooked. I am honestly cabin happy here in the arctic. I have not ridden in 8 months. I am pretty much losing my mind. 20 days left and I go home. I can’t wait.

Duke_CH

Post by Duke_CH » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:52 am

Hello guy's

New guy from Switzerland here. My name is Flo , I'm 28 and work as an accountant, I ride since two years now, first a BMW and now a Kawasaki ER - cool bike and good fun but a sidecar rig would be superb fun. I drive normally only onroad and maybe some easy gravel roads to camping grounds, no hardcore offroading and dirt.

I want to use the rig to commute (35 KM highway), weekend tours, longer tours (like 2 Weeks Sardegna this summer with my Kawa). I have a car, I will keep it, so winter driving so far is not an option.
If I spend my deposit, it will be on a later model with discbrakes, EFI because I'm not really a mechanic apart from oil changing. I can't really decide between the ct and the twd basic model with two-wheel-drive. (I don't know how ural calls the twd in the states). I've read most of the posts who could help me find a conclusion so far.

The reason I post this in a English speaking forum is quite obvious : Most german Ural forums are passionate mechanics and wrench most of their time on their oldtimer rigs, there is not much riding experience with the EFI models there.

Thanks and ride safe.

If my posting is wrongly placed here, I beg for forgiveness and moving the post to the forum it belongs to, thanks.
2011 Kawasaki Er6n Abs leonvince sport exhaust
2002 BMW R1150R (sold)