Deep Thoughts While Riding URAL

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Draeger
Party Member
Party Member

Deep Thoughts While Riding URAL

Post by Draeger » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:51 pm

So today, as I happily rode along, I had one of those 'random riding thought train' things happen, and asked myself this question:

If, by some strange twist of fate, the gods decreed that I would have one and only one vehicle of any kind to drive for the rest of my life, and never have any other... what would I choose?

I thought long and hard, over many a mile, over many a bump and corner... I live in the Pacific Northwest, only a few days of snow per year and rarely freezing temps...

It would have to be a motorcycle of some sort, because I find cars (even the fast, cool ones) to be soul-deadeningly boring over time. This has been this case with more than a few very nice cars... So, not a car, or truck by extension. I thought for a while about a jeep... but it's still a car like thing...

It could not be a street cruiser bike, since I would need to ride in snow and dirt logging roads.

It could maybe be an enduro like my WR250, but I already struggle to get on that thing when it's loaded up, never mind when I'm 75 years old... and that would be my only way to get to the grocery store, so no carrying capacity to speak of.

Then I realized, well... it would most likely be a URAL. It's pretty much perfect for one man travel. Lots of room for carrying stuff (more than my wife's MX5, for example), great in rain and snow, fun as heck to ride, and I feel I could easily ride it even as an old gaffer. Also, it requires plenty of farting around with in the garage so it's like transportation plus a hobby all in one.

All of that thinking made me very very happy to ride along on my URAL. :cheers:
Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
2021 Slate Grey Gear Up

2015 Yamaha Stryker
2019 Yamaha WR250R

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Re: Deep Thoughts While Riding URAL

Post by jaybird » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:20 pm

And all this time I’ve been thinking about my back up plan if the Ural doesn’t make it there or back for some reason :lol: :lol:
:cheers:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Draeger… I hear ya brother
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Well already in 1986 I got to a close conclusion. To that time i struggled with partial paralytic for sometimes several month. Even as cripple you are able to ride a rig usually with inexpensive adoptions needed. While a "soul-less cage" would need huge modifications for to adapt it. On top the rig is free fresh air gymnasium. For the last 32+ years i live in the tropics. Since 2012 most my driving is on 2 or 3 wheels, my cars and the van are sold and if I need one there is still my 1960 Willies that could probably be put back to work in a weeks time (for meanwhile - and a full overhaul in a month can be done).
Something I observed here, that i am not the only one, who with age steps back to a bike. Several persons I met said, they feel more "in control" when they ride a bike, then inside a cage.
On, on.
Sven
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

chaos2

Post by chaos2 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:17 pm

only one vehicle?? THE HORROR!!! I agree about cages, mindnumbingly boring, except for some British examples which keep your senses tingly with impending, unpredictable catastrophic electrical or mechanical failures. Come to think of it, sort of like a Ural.
Past afflictions include limey cars and motorbikes, an R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a couple of bicycles, a worn out '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
Dual K&N cones on homemade PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop pipes, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:12 am

What could be simpler? But Herodotus the Greek historian once said it's a mistake to rely on the health of horses and Urals. quote unquote.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

RC20
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by RC20 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:59 pm

Well one rig would not work for us. Certainly is some food for theoretical thought.
I could easily ride it even as an old gaffer.
You might want to re-think that a bit! Pretty much everything has suffered the sling and arrows of various encounters at this time in life. As an old gaffer (or I am close enough) not sure even in the right climate I would want to go sole Ural. Getting the gear on and going rain or shine looses its luster (I used to go riding in the rain regardless when I wanted to get out.

Though admittedly, it works wonderfully for stable. My cousin bought a 2013 I think it was (my age) to use out in Hawaii. He has a Goldwing in Bellingham Washington, when they put in the roustabouts he had to go practice his turns.

I like cycle camping and there the Ural is vastly better though you can't argue the nice part of day trips and carrying all you want easily either.

Other aspect my days of rocking a cycle up on a center stand are like over (repaired disk). I carry a jack for that if I need to get the Ural up on the stand.

My financial guy (ironically also in Bellingham for totally different reasons) dropped his Yamaha at a gas station (big gold wing type). He never figured it out. When I was through Bham we had quite a discussion outside his office on the merits of Ural (sidecar) . Not your every day financial guy. Former survivalist type who decided it was a waster of a lot of good years waiting for the Apocalypse that has not come so far.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems