Sumthin' I've been noticin' lately

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Sumthin' I've been noticin' lately

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Is it me, of does there seem to be more newbies signing up to ask questions and then disappear without as much as a thank you than folks that join to chew the fat about Russian bikes and stuff?

I just joined a Harley forum because I needed to get smarter about Fuel Injection and when I shared a pretty detailed breakdown of finding and fixing a fuel pressure problem, all I hear were crickets.

Not that I'm looking for credit or glory. But normally, when someone takes the time to put out some decent info, others are interested, comment on the content, make further contributions of their own and so forth. I started to pay closer attention and there is pretty much zero conversation on what is otherwise a huge site with huge content. Granted, I've always known that HD riders in general tend to be more about their how their bike looks, sounds and the costume they wear. But I've been riding Harleys since the 80's and there are a lot of savvy HD wrenches out there. I suspect they just don't use computers.

But here, there has always been more of a community type atmosphere and all the questions and issues generate a lot of discussion. But lately, I see newbies landing here, asking their questions, getting an answer and then disappearing without another word.

Maybe it's a generational thing. But part of the fun of helping someone out is finding out that it helped or solved their issue.

Maybe it's just me... :?
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Sumthin' I've been noticin' lately

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Rob,

It is the generation of Facebook user ignorant kids.
Sometimes when we try to help troubleshoot their issues we can't even get them come back and answer our questions, we then generate multiple possible likely "causes" by making assumptions. We are talking to each other while OP is done... :D
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

mjrally
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by mjrally » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Snake-

I believe it. Since joining 2 years ago, I check the site every day. Lots of new introductions and then gone!

Is it cause Urals are getting so reliable that they dont have any questions? Or, maybe its just easier to pay someone to fix it for them? I’m happy to work on my scooters, Ural or light stuff with the Harley. Never once tried anything on the new 2017 GMC Sierra. I pay someone to take care of that one for me :D
2011 Tourist

cookiemech
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by cookiemech » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 am

I think it's because new gearheads aren't being minted in any significant numbers anymore. When I was young, it never occurred to me to have anyone else work on my pickup or bike, though I didn't have much money anyway. Now I easily could pay someone, but not only do I enjoy doing my own work, I don't trust anyone.

Maybe if Mom or Dad gives you a new Corolla when you turn 16, you never learn to turn a wrench (because it never breaks, and if it does, Mom or Dad will pay to have it fixed).

So far as a good H-D forum for actual repair information (as opposed to "What's the coolest chrome accessory or best tattoo?"), have you looked at https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php ? That's the best one I've found for hard tech.
1982 BMW R100T
1994 BMW K75RT
1995 BMW K75/3
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650
2017 Harley-Davidson Road King
2017 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Ultra
2017 Honda CB1100EX
2020 Ural Gear Up

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:08 am

We are dealing with a generation from all social media. I joined a Ford Raptor forum And was suprised when after I posted in the new member thread I mostly got smarta$$ remarks.
When checking the new post tab, I noticed when someone asked an honest question what came back had nothing to do with the question . Sad times..
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am

mjrally wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 pm
Is it cause Urals are getting so reliable that they don't have any questions?

Good One :)
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Desert.Turtle351

Post by Desert.Turtle351 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 am

I'm bad. Silence is golden or open mouth and insert foot. Been in back ground for the last two Urals. I enjoy my Ural family. The post on upgrade, modifications, how to and the list is end less.
I May Be Over the Hill But I Ain't Hit Bottom
Ural Patrol 2007 (retired)
Ural CT 2015 Move 'n' On

Flieger

Post by Flieger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:28 am

I’m on two motorcycle forums but don’t contribute much since my wrenching skills are minimal at best. If I respond it is because I feel I have something to contribute. One forum I’m on there is a gent that welcomes everyone to the forum with a one or two word message. Some of the folks take this as nice while others take it as a way to increase his post count. They even congratulate him on his number of posts, I’d rather be known as contributing something worthwhile than just posting just to read my posts. But that is me.
2012 Ural Gear Up
2011 Yamaha TW200
Whidbey Island, WA

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:01 pm

I guess I am too old, never occurred to me to post to get popularity. Shoot I got promoted because I contributed money, dang, I asked to stay in the ranks.

Some years back we had a weird foreman (of course they made him a manager). We had a rack of in boxes, you added to the top when a new person was hired. He always moved his to the top, something about it diminished him to be lower down.

When I was the foreman I left my in box at the bottom.

Rob:

The material you have posted is good. So its not you, its the times I suspect. At work I saw less and less interesting in younger guys and it was just a job. There was a wide breadth of mechanics and electrical /electronics to dive into, none ever did. Sigh.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:17 pm

I'm on a bmw k bike forum, seems to be a small core of regulars (10 or so) then a constant stream of one or two time visitors that picked up an old bike and want to cafe it or cant figure out why it won't run on 10 year old gas. I imagine many of the one timers just loose interest and get rid of the bike.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 pm
Is it me, of does there seem to be more newbies signing up to ask questions and then disappear without as much as a thank you than folks that join to chew the fat about Russian bikes and stuff?

...lately, I see newbies landing here, asking their questions, getting an answer and then disappearing without another word.

Maybe it's a generational thing. But part of the fun of helping someone out is finding out that it helped or solved their issue.
It's not just you, Rob. Noobs who ask questions and then go incommunicado, without so much as a single thank you, are not a recent presence on this forum. Thankfully, they're also not a frequently recurring presence. I can't say if they're concentrated in a particular age group, though. Ungraciousness knows no boundaries.

Some folks just aren't intimately acquainted with basic courtesy, like the driver who doesn't acknowledge your courtesy when you wave to them to proceed through the intersection.

This forum is better for the fact that a clear plurality of the members are either willing to offer experience-based advice, and/or are careful to express gratitude for the information that is provided to them. For that, I'm personally grateful.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks for that link, Cookie. Looks promising. I thought I had found a great HD site, but all you hear are crickets after you post.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Flieger wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:28 am
I’m on two motorcycle forums but don’t contribute much since my wrenching skills are minimal at best. If I respond it is because I feel I have something to contribute. One forum I’m on there is a gent that welcomes everyone to the forum with a one or two word message. Some of the folks take this as nice while others take it as a way to increase his post count. They even congratulate him on his number of posts, I’d rather be known as contributing something worthwhile than just posting just to read my posts. But that is me.
I have to agree. I am here more or less every day since I got my Ural back in February. I have learned a lot just by reading what others have come up with. I skip most because they don't pertain to me or I may take note for future reference if / when it should be needed. I have had a couple questions but the knowledge on here is beyond me contributing anything worthwhile most of the time.

So if you are helping that one guy with what you think is a basic problem, remember you are helping the new dummies like me too.
:cheers:
2019 Gear Up "Babe"
2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic "Cheyenne"

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:57 pm

As an early Dnepr and Ural owner and a mechanic back in the 90's, I used to try to post many how to's on fixing the machines. But I really got tired of folks ignoring what I was telling them and doing other dumb stuff making their problems worse. There was one guy who listed a common issue and I told him exactly how to get into his carburetor and fix the issue. He later contacts me with the transmission removed from the bike and he doesn't know how to get it back in! I ask him why he didn't do the carb work I specified? He answers that he could see that area well and thought he'd take the transmission out because he could see those parts better. I face palmed myself and wrote him off as an idiot. I had another wanting to know how to set the timing on his Dnepr. He had a Ural manual and asked can't I use that? After all, they're the same bike! Jesus F'n Christ on a stick......... I explain how the Dnepr timing is set at full advance while the Ural timing is set at full retard, so if you set it the Ural way it winds up way too far advanced and you'll make it knock and hole the piston from detonation. I offer to have my Dnepr manual copied and mailed to him for under $50 (My cost BTW) He starts yelling "Don't try to teach me anything, just tell me how to fix my bike". Since ignorance is bliss, I wrote him off as well. Back when Yuri in Ohio was selling cheap Dneprs they got bought up by a whole bunch of fools thinking they were getting something for nothing. As the years went by and my hands became much more arthritic, I stopped trying to reply to questions with detailed paragraphs since so few were listening or learning anything from it.

I used to firmly believe that the Urals worst enemy was ignorant owners or equally ignorant dealer techs. The good ones were few and far between and highly respected. They still are. Don't even get me started on setting the gear lash on your alternator by ear! AARGH! I feel like I am one of the last dinosaur mechanics to study any engineering.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2003 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet Deluxe
2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:55 pm

Rich, I think a lot of what you are talking about deals with an earlier post about cars not needing maintenance like they used to and the fact that most people take their stuff to the mechanic to fix it for them. While I don't know much about the Ural, I am willing to learn, there just aren't any in this area to compare to. In fact I have yet to see another in the wild so I have nothing to compare to. That doesn't make me an idiot, just ignorant on how these things are put together and/or should perform like. Lets not even talk about that new sound, which for me this week turned out to be a loose hub on the sidecar. Trust me, I am here for the long haul.

I have taught my son to fix the car he is driving. I think I directed him in the right direction. Now a college student coming in at the age of 20, he and his friends just had a car fix weekend where they all got together and did things from replacing leaky valve gaskets to replacing ball joints a couple weeks ago. Maybe this will help him in designs when he becomes an engineer. I'm sure we all can relate how the designer had no mechanical experience. We have all said "Who designed this $h!t"

Hobbies may make you happy, but they will also make you broke. The end.
2019 Gear Up "Babe"
2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic "Cheyenne"