WHat would YOU pick?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: WHat would YOU pick?

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

windmill wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 pm
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 pm
windmill wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 pm
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am
Takes all kinds doesn't it. If someone offered ME the choice of BUYING EITHER OF THE 2 - OR half the price in cash, I'd take the CASH
I'd take the cash too, but I'd use it to upgrade my 2018 M70 to 2019 specs, and have $5k+ left over to do with as I pleased because I wouldn't need it for repairs.
I don't need that many repairs, but an escrow account, to buy a fresh engine or whatever would come in handy - for us income strapped peasants.
I just put a few un-needed things on Ebay - to pay for my new 32mm Mikuni VM set & peripherals.
Always amazed that folks buy "vehicle breakdown insurance" for their vehicles - instead of putting the same amount in SAVINGS Acct - which would be more fluid, & NOT A RIPOFF. Also buying a "fixer upper" has worked better for me than making payments, as repairs have been less frequent than payments, & usually smaller.
Instead of making payments, or buying a fixer upper, I waited until I could buy new outright. Not paying interest or repairs is nice. It's my full time transportation in place of a 2nd car.
ALWAYS BEST TO BUY OUTRIGHT IF YOU CAN. This has worked best for me since I buy USED vehicles that have a good reputation, that are within my means. There was a time when I was young & strong, that I rode daily from the suburbs to mid town Atlanta daily - rain or shine. But I always had a truck in case my job required bringing it - or for snow days. I did learn as I grew older to increase my odds of survival by driving the urban assault vehicle when it was needed. I personally believe motorcycles of all types are wonderful - but to also have a suitable backup vehicle. Of course it has taken spinal damage, prosthetic left hip, screws in right foot & ankle, bad knees, & damaged rotator cuffs - to help me arrive at this opinion.
Much as I like them, no matter how new (having owned 3 Russian rigs) I wouldn't rely on any URAL as sole transport to a JOB. They are NOT the worlds most reliable motorcycle. When your job is sole support of your family - You MUST show up on time. I could achieve this by having a backup vehicle when needed. I also recommend - investing in yourself - by buying DISABILITY INSURANCE - It saved me from total ruin.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by windmill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am
I wouldn't rely on any URAL as sole transport to a JOB. They are NOT the worlds most reliable motorcycle. When your job is sole support of your family - You MUST show up on time. I could achieve this by having a backup vehicle when needed.
I did it for 10 years on my 2007 Patrol, and only didn't make it to work once, My 2018 has been trouble free, but both of my rigs were purchased new, not fixer uppers.

We've had many more major, and minor issues my wifes past few cars (Hyundai, Toyota) than I've had with my Urals. So much for conventional wisdom about whats wise and responsible huh?
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Depends on the Ural. Or any other vehicle.

If its proven reliable then no reason not to. Conflating issues and aspects.

We bought a 2005 Passat diesel, fuel pump quit (know issue and a good thing my wife knows machinery and coasting practice as she executed a safe pull off)

the blow plugs were a shitty design and when they pulled them at my insistence (ceramic vs steel) one was about to break the tip off into the cylinder head. Any idea what that does to a zero interference engine? While its been a great vehicle overall, some aspects are not the vaunted German Engineering more Russian approach.

The the turbo went.

And they had a goofy balancer, oil pump module that was chain driven by a non roller chain at twice engine speed (they have not done non roller chains since the Model T). Precautionary to replace it with the new gear driven (duh) setup at a cost of $3000 and risked going 100k (other had it let go as early as 36K)

So yes, anything can have and many do have issues. You make an informed decision.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

DrUralGo

Post by DrUralGo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Greetings All,

I’m shopping for my first Ural and had my sights set on a 2020 cT until I found a new 2019 GU for less than what the cT would cost. I’m never in the snow and only planned on doing minor off road. I know 2WD will be overkill for me but I’m still having a tough time choosing.

I’d really appreciate some advice/opinions.

Thanks
Last edited by DrUralGo on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 cT - Black/Silver

"No matter where you go, there you are"

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm

DrUralGo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Greetings All,

I’m shopping for my first Ural and had my sights set on a 2020 cT until I found a new 2019 GU for less than what the cT would cost. I’m never in the snow and only planned on doing minor off road. I know 2WD will be overkill for me but I’m still having a tough time choosing.

Thanks,
Max
If'n were me I'd go the cheaper 019. My Urals have all been 2WD's and though not used/needed often, sure nice to have when you do. If you do have 2WD and don't use it often it doesn't create any odd issues.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 pm

I have been doing a fair amount of snow and ice riding on erands around town (we are a good 12 miles end to end and the places you want to go are alwyas on the other end !)

Up to 5 inches of snow the cT (with studs) has worked just fine. Much deeper and you are floating the tub so I see no advantage of a GU in snow.
Front Tire.JPG
Rear Tire.JPG
And there is nothign that stops a cT from gravel running and or hard packed forest roads. Its real claim to fame will be in muddy rutted stuff (maybe Sand but I have seen 4WD fail miserably in sand, took a guys girlfriend swimming while he jacked his up and filled before I would pull him out :wink: boy was he mad and hungover which is why he wound up where he was, I had a hard packed area to work from)

I have spent 12 hour days in the saddle of the cT and lived to tell about it so the driving is pretty good. In all fairness I have not run a GU to compare though I hope to cadge some time next summer from a friend who inherited one)

All said and done I paid about the same for the cT as a GU as I got pusher Fairing rack and spare tire but also came with the windscreen for the side car. I am not disappointed in power. More is always good but I am good with how she moves.
P6120064.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm

From what I know about the 2019 new models I would go with the Gear Up without hesitation. I'm guessing resale if that becomes a factor might be a bit more than a 2020 cT and the Gear Up might have a bit larger market for resale too.

Once you have the capability to do some off pavement exploring you might find the Gear Up more appropriate. If you really don't need/want two wheel drive you could always remove the sidecar driveshaft and still have just a tad more ground clearance.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:47 pm

2wd isn't needed for light off road, it's for getting through low situations.

A cT handles better, and inspires more confidence at higher speeds.

I sometimes miss not having 2wd on my M70, but don't regret getting it. I benifit from it's better handleing on a daily basis, I only miss the 2wd once in a great while.

FWIW, 2wd can make a significant difference under certain conditions such as snow or mud.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 pm

DrUralGo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Sidecar on the GU is about 3" higher compared to CT. Also, 19" rims compared to 18" on the CT, so 3.5 inches higher. This translates as a tendancy for the rig to "roll" in corners (that's how it was explained to me) whereas the CT, being lower, is more stable and if anything wants to drift sideways rather than tilt in bends. This may be something to think about if you're a beginner to sidecars.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Desantnik-VDV
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:34 pm

'19 cT if you find one. 2020 cT if the difference over the GearUp is not big.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

Bullethead
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bullethead » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Got a 2018 GU simply because we wanted a rig that could confidently do our “limited maintenance” roads. I don’t expect to be doing a lot of real off-road stuff but I like the assurance of having 2wd when we get to the odd washout.
Way Out Western NY
2018 Gear Up; The Black Pearl
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2002 Honda Metropolitan II
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

outrider
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by outrider » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:32 am

You live in Green Bay which means you are close to the Nicolet National Forest which is an out standing place to ride a GearUp. We try to get there at least one a year as a small group to ride. You will need 2wd in many places and that's were the fun is.
Plus the resale being where you live will be better.
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:48 am

Pick the one that works for you. I would love the CT, but my wife may not, with the much lower sidecar.
If you can ride each one, you will know what one works for you.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:38 am

"Minor Off-road", speaking from 13 years of ownership from new (2 WD Patrol), then you don't need 2WD. I've ridden plenty rough road & trail with 1WD rigs and they do fine. In fact I ride in 1WD anyway 99% of the time. 2WD to get me out of trouble if necessary though I have seen more folks get "into" trouble with it. Same with 4X4 & Jeep buddies, Ha.

Now... thinking about the height/ground clearance. That is something to consider and I did also since I occasionally ride in an urban environment too.
Ya know... up and off high curbs, potholes, stuff that'll make a pretty bike not that pretty underneath if you start jumping things.

As far as I know the actual sidecar hacks are all the same or at least used to be, that "tunnel" to accommodate the 2WD shaft. For the 2WD models the hack is set higher to accommodate the drive/shaft to the hack wheel. I know some folks have modified from 1WD to 2WD without changing their hack since nothing is really special about it. So raising it and setting your shocks as high as possible should not be a problem.
But really, I don't think you'd need to do that based on what I've seen a 1WD rig do in the wild.
It's really the pilot that going to make a 1WD (or 2WD) work well off-road that counts.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:18 pm

There are times when 1wd simply wont cut it, and only 2wd keeps you rolling.

But how often does one actually ride in such conditions?

IMO, the 2 everyday considerations for, and against 2wd are.

For, the sidecar axle is set back further which makes it easier to enter and exit the sidecar, and easier to steer.
Against, the sidecar axle is set back further which reduces stability in left hand turns, and reduces directional stability on the throttle or brakes.
Barry

2018/20 M70