New!!!Chang Jiang!!!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: New!!!Chang Jiang!!!

Post by windmill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:29 pm
I like what I see as a sidecar tug. Water cooled means longer valve life. Chain drive eliminates F.D. worries. Cast wheels eliminates spoke, rim, & out of round issues, I'd love it even more IF the wheels interchanged.
I'd probably buy a CJ sidecar rig IF affordable - just because of the above features. With proper care, + parked out of the weather, I'd bet its good for quite a few trouble free years & miles. Even If it is fuel injected (my Asian Water Cooled FI vehicles have over 100K miles on them - with NO engine work) So working on it myself is not as necessary - or likely. A black Street Racer rig for me please.
CF Moto ATVs and UTVs have been sold in NA for several years. It might be wise to read some reviews and owner opinions before assuming they'll be all puppies and rainbows.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:59 am
My guess is that the failure of Chinese dirt bikes and Korean street bikes to make any real headway into the 1st world market told the Chinese that they need to take a different approach, which looks like a retro market approach. So, if nothing else it will interesting to watch how this all unfolds.
Chinese dirt bikes are still with us, and I don't mean the craptastic offal that was sold at places like Pep Boys.

Two of the dealers from which I've purchased motorcycles have been selling SSR Motorsports bikes for several years now. As Christmas approaches each year, the volume of floor stock seems to increase a bit, as does the prominence of its presentation in the showroom.

Most of the SSR-branded bikes are off-road models intended (sized) for children and teenagers, but a few street-legal dual sports* are also being sold. To my eye, the build quality is obviously a price-point alternative to the Big 4 offerings. To be fair, though, that build quality is still quite respectable for the niche that it occupies. It is leagues removed from the example of a Pep Boys bike.

*http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/enduro/xf250.php

Korean street bikes were a bust, and rightly so. They were garish and overpriced. Most were small[ish]-engined cruisers, attempting to cater to a market that likes big, Big, BIG. More to the point, they simply couldn't compete with a used motorcycle market in the U.S. that would give the buyer a lot of [better] motorcycle for the same $$ that would buy a new Korean motorcycle.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm

windmill wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
I like what I see as a sidecar tug. Water cooled means longer valve life. Chain drive eliminates F.D. worries. Cast wheels eliminates spoke, rim, & out of round issues, I'd love it even more IF the wheels interchanged.
I'd probably buy a CJ sidecar rig IF affordable - just because of the above features. With proper care, + parked out of the weather, I'd bet its good for quite a few trouble free years & miles. Even If it is fuel injected (my Asian Water Cooled FI vehicles have over 100K miles on them - with NO engine work) So working on it myself is not as necessary - or likely. A black Street Racer rig for me please.
CF Moto ATVs and UTVs have been sold in NA for several years. It might be wise to read some reviews and owner opinions before assuming they'll be all puppies and rainbows.
THE 2 ELDERLY URALS I"VE OWNED HAVE NOT BEEN ALL PUPPIES & RAINBOWS. IMO the recent URAL offerings are pricing themselves out of the market. The only reason I've not complained more - is that I own other means of transport. My URALs have been quaint toys, & I have enjoyed the challenge. The shoddy quality control has been hard to overcome at times. Now that I AM ELDERLY, with arthritic hands, & joints, I wouldn't mind a sidecar outfit requiring less effort to keep running, + higher performance. In the new CJ, I see a traditional classic design, with developmental updates brought about to cure basic weaknesses of the old technology. The Chinese build to a price point, but can & do make good stuff.
I am watching the new CJs with interest. After all - if INDIA can make an old design like the ROYAL ENFIELD as good as it has become, why not CHINA, one of the worlds new industrial giants.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm
windmill wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
THE 2 ELDERLY URALS I"VE OWNED HAVE NOT BEEN ALL PUPPIES & RAINBOWS. IMO the recent URAL offerings are pricing themselves out of the market. The only reason I've not complained more - is that I own other means of transport. My URALs have been quaint toys, & I have enjoyed the challenge. The shoddy quality control has been hard to overcome at times. Now that I AM ELDERLY, with arthritic hands, & joints, I wouldn't mind a sidecar outfit requiring less effort to keep running, + higher performance. In the new CJ, I see a traditional classic design, with developmental updates brought about to cure basic weaknesses of the old technology. The Chinese build to a price point, but can & do make good stuff.
I am watching the new CJs with interest. After all - if INDIA can make an old design like the ROYAL ENFIELD as good as it has become, why not CHINA, one of the worlds new industrial giants.
You got what you paid for with your 2002, I got what I paid for with my 2018, and the difference between them is night and day in quality and reliability, progress doesn't come for free. I use my Ural as my every day transportation in place of having another vehicle, it's been low maintenance and virtually trouble free.

Why Royal Enfield has chosen to achieve first rate quality, and most Chinese brands have chosen to not do the same isn't something I can answer. They're probably doing what they feel is best for their interests.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

VWNate1
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by VWNate1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:58 pm

Interesting .

? Has the boxer twin CJ gone now then ? .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 pm

VWNate1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:58 pm
Interesting .

? Has the boxer twin CJ gone now then ? .
They have been gone a long time, what we see is cottage industry parts and rebuilds.
Barry

2018 M70

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 am

Not really "news" (press package released in May, 2017), but the first video I've seen of it. With that huge rear sprocket I'm wondering if it's a low speed stump puller. edit - I think I read that the MSRP was to be around $8,500USD.

Ref > viewtopic.php?t=48209
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Well, based upon Lew's link, the diagram that Gregaus posted is somewhat reminiscent of a featherbed. The steering head looks to be very well supported. Should make for decent handling, assuming geometry is right.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:19 pm

$8,500. Huh ? Guess I'll have to wait around for a used one (like I usually do) - hope I live that long.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:25 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:19 pm
$8,500. Huh ? Guess I'll have to wait around for a used one (like I usually do) - hope I live that long.
Might be a real long wait, I contacted CF Moto and they don't even acknowledge it exists. A local dealer says there's no plan to bring in any of their motorcycles, just the ATVs and UTVs as they have been.
Barry

2018 M70

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Might be a real long wait
Key words: Long Wait.
With all this Anti-China trade war stuff going on, doubt they'd spend the big money getting them US/EPA/DOT certified for export only to risk getting taxed so high to price them out of the market.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."