What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
cheeseheadmike
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am

Finally got the FD back together. New cone with new bearings and seals. Gear lash is nuts on. As an old mechanic, I decided to do the u-joint on the drive shaft while the FD was out. Nothing wrong with it, but it was original. Man, what a job that was.

I no longer have access to a hydraulic press and only have a 4” vise on my bench. I’ve been swapping these boogers out since I was 12 years but yesterday felt like the first time. It was so stuck that I ended up breaking all the caps to get it out. Dropped one of the new caps and it rolled under the very middle of the DeSoto, jelly side down. When I did get it together, I oriented the cross wrong, so I couldn’t grease it. Do it again. After finally getting it correct, maybe that old u-joint wasn’t so good.

Still need to do the donut today. I hope that goes easier. Then I can put all back together.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1952 to 2014-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am

been there done that, old Murphy is smiling! :boogie:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

Do the donut? You mean lubricate or replace?
Posted via tablet or phone so please ignore any odd words (autocorrect).
2017 Gear-up Forest fog

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Trailer First Hookup Test

It has taken three and a half months of planning, purchasing not just of the trailer but also endless sundry other bits and pieces, and modifications and adaptions, to get to this stage where the two can finally be coupled together for the first time. I now have a slight electrical issue however...

But it is definitely still a milestone to be celebrated! Open the champers darling! :D
Trailer_1925.jpg
-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

cheeseheadmike

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Mikey wrote:Do the donut? You mean lubricate or replace?
Replace. The original one was getting long in the tooth. That was a bit of a task, too, but everything is all back together and there were no leftover parts. :clap: Too crappy a day to take it out and my back hurts, but with the tires off the ground and in gear, no funny noises, 2wd shifts in and out like it should, and reverse still works. Must have done something right for a change.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1952 to 2014-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

scottmastrocinque

Post by scottmastrocinque » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Looks great except for the sidecar being on the wrong side... :D 8) :boogie:
- Scott -

2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara - "Ekaterina - a.k.a. Katya - The Farkle Queen"
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX - "Stella"
1997 Moto Guzzi V-10 Centauro - "Clelia"
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution - "Chiara"

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi. :cheers:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm

This is fast becoming "what did I do to my trailer" - :o

Jus' thinking aloud ...

Couple of electrical issues,
1. The bike socket is wired slightly different to the plug, whereas the plug is correct for UK wiring - so I will need to rearrange a couple of the wires in the socket - viz the indicators are transposed, i.e. left flashes right and vice versa. Also brake is off of a different pin, so does nowt on the trailer (cuz comes thru on the 'fog light' pin which is N/C).

2. Shockingly bad soldering of wires in the trailer! :o Fixed that, and so then the right side light unit started working. Unfortunately the LED's are really feeble, but I've just found on the web a same dimensions unit that has bulbs, and appears to be the exact same as what was put on earlier productions of this trailer according to a photo I found on the web a while ago. Looks much better. Light units now on order.

This has been the story of this project since the beginning, always something else, something else, something else ...

This is the photo of the other, otherwise identical trailer (a Freewheel Shuttle), but with the bulbs light units:
img_20170527_134129-b.jpg
-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Installed Grab On grip covers. Confirmed that they don't foul proper operation of the clutch lever.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 am

Next, I went to the hardware store to configure a handle for my 6.8mm spoke wrench. The handle that came with the wrench kit is used for the spoke wrench that fits on the Suzuki's spokes. It is stored in that particular tool kit.

The thread pitch on the spoke wrench is M8x1.25. The matching all-thread rods were just 100mm; too short for my liking. I used a second coupling nut and a stainless hex socket head bolt to create the desired handle length and feel. Assembled with blue thread lock and wrapped with Scotch 33+ electrical tape. A snug but correct fit on the Ural's spokes.

Not To or On my Ural, but For it.
:thumbsup:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Moving right along, I introduced the Suzuki to her new stablemate.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

MSP3304

Post by MSP3304 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 am

RidesInRed wrote:Over on the Kawasaki Vulcan forum where I also hang out they have a long-running "What did you do..." thread that draws posts almost every day.
Since I can't ride my Vulcan right now either, and can't take a trip to go look at the Ural I would probably buy if I could get to it (maybe next week, surely no later than the week after) I'm living vicariously through these two fora (plural of forum) for the time being. And making mostly pointless posts, sorry for that.
So let me start out the "What did you do to your Ural today" thread with this post:

Looked at her pictures on the internet and hoped she waits for me!
:(
:lurker:
I fabricated some side panels for my Gear Up. My girlfriends jacket buttons were scratching the walls. Cost just under $60 bucks and a few hours of my precious time :)
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSP3304

Post by MSP3304 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am

MSP3304 wrote:
RidesInRed wrote:Over on the Kawasaki Vulcan forum where I also hang out they have a long-running "What did you do..." thread that draws posts almost every day.
Since I can't ride my Vulcan right now either, and can't take a trip to go look at the Ural I would probably buy if I could get to it (maybe next week, surely no later than the week after) I'm living vicariously through these two fora (plural of forum) for the time being. And making mostly pointless posts, sorry for that.
So let me start out the "What did you do to your Ural today" thread with this post:

Looked at her pictures on the internet and hoped she waits for me!
:(
:lurker:
I fabricated some side panels for my Gear Up. My girlfriends jacket buttons were scratching the walls. Cost just under $60 bucks and a few hours of my precious time :)
ImageImageImage

I finally slapped on my front plate. Plate had some imperfections from the seller on EBay, but after months of back and forth with zero help, I said screw it and put it on anyway. It will work until I find a better one ImageImage

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:01 am

i have the same plate other than poor quality paint what was the issue with yours? i really think they have the vintage look i wanted, with the rolled edge. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:16 am

Really nice work on those side panels MSP3304. I've got the whole Richard Maud 9-Piece carpet set. But If I didn't...
Very snazzy.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

VWNate1
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by VWNate1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:54 am

Please give the contact info for the pedestrian slicer license plate ! .

TIA,
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry: