does size really matter?

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: does size really matter?

Postby hotflash44 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Sorry was talking about the longer oil pick up tube, to reach down into the deeper pan,not the dip stick.
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sun May 14, 2017 2:12 pm

1494785501-picsay.jpg
Yes small is better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr Z

Postby Dr Z » Sun May 14, 2017 2:28 pm

hotflash44 wrote:Sorry was talking about the longer oil pick up tube, to reach down into the deeper pan,not the dip stick.

I honestly don't know whether or not holopaw Gene put the deeper pick up or not
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Sun May 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Lee Pape wrote:Will a longer filter get in the way of the front wheel travel at any time. It would suck to be riding down the road and hit a bump and knock a hole in the oil filter or knock it off.

If you got the LL forks, no. Fender doesn't move!

Tho I also have wondered about using a longer filter cartridge so this was a good question.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:27 pm

DrZ i think tomcatfixer installed one of those large pans, and said something about the longer oil pick up. only reason that comes to mind is if the oil gets low . I know on a car the pickup and screen is almost to the bottom of the pan. but if holopaw did the work is probably done right.
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4

Dr Z

Re: does size really matte

Postby Dr Z » Sun May 14, 2017 7:46 pm

If I ever pull the pan I'll check it out. As far as dipstick for measuring oil level it should be same. Just oil is "deeper". I like it cause after 2500 km the dirt and crude in oil is suspended in three qts of oil rather than two. Even if pick up is standard size seems any crud would settle toward bottom and not be picked up and recirculated through engine. Somebody designed the deeper oil pan for a reason. Just not exactly sure what it is
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:47 pm

think your right the crud might settle on the bottom and the pick up will run the clean oil through the engine,Genius!

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Doc » Tue May 16, 2017 2:48 am

hotflash44 wrote:I like those , a extra quart is great, bigger pan requires a longer oil pick up also as i understand. Im always thinking about how to reduce engine temps especially here in Nevada. The older i get the more the heat seems to bother me. Not to many parts of this wonderful country have perfect riding conditions, but North Carolina must be close.

Several members have installed oil coolers, I have a brand new one in the box at home, just haven't gotten around to putting it on. Several threads on oil coolers, here are two.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44539&hilit=oil+cooler

Or this one.
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43765&p=545866&hilit=doc#p545866
Van has some good videos on oil coolers as well.

Or you can also put one of these on your filter, there is a thread on here somewhere from Van making a protector for the filter, and this kinda does the same thing with the added benifit of cooling the oil as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Filter-Cooler-Aluminum-Volkswagen/dp/B00ZVB0LWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494917104&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+filter+heatsink

FYI oil cooler threads on here can get heated with differing opinions.
:cheers:
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"TRUMP PENCE 2020 - KEEPING AMERICA GREAT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 am

Hi,Doc, i saw that heat sink on your bike at Bonny Springs and i bought one plus a big magnet. im going to install today. mine is about one inch to long, it fits but im going to cut it down anyway as far as the magnet, eh! it cant hurt! see ya stay safe.

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Doc » Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 am

hotflash44 wrote:Hi,Doc, i saw that heat sink on your bike at Bonny Springs and i bought one plus a big magnet. im going to install today. mine is about one inch to long, it fits but im going to cut it down anyway as far as the magnet, eh! it cant hurt! see ya stay safe.

I plan on putting mesh wire over the front opening of my heat sink to protect the oil filter as well (I believe Van was asked to make something similar for a customer that got a hole in the filter off roading or something along those lines). As far as magnets go, I went with Dimples for the oil, transmission fill & drain, and FD.
http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/uralmotorcycles.php

And I put their Super Black Holes on the filter.
http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/superblackhole4pack.php

Others on here have done this as well, and just like the Syn vs Dino oil threads, oil cooler threads, this topic has its believers and non-believers as well.
:cheers:
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"TRUMP PENCE 2020 - KEEPING AMERICA GREAT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi, Doc i got a oil filter magnet off eBay, its almost the same diameter as the filter and sits on the front end, so it should protect against rocks etc. Went for a short ride today after switching to redline 20w 60 all good no leaks. The heat sink i have is 80m long and 76mm wide it sticks about a good inch past the filter so the front hold down screw wont work its being held on now by the back screw. It didn't come loose during my ride this morning so it should be okay. I was thinking of sawing off the extra and tap and die the screw to another location, but haven't done that yet.

Return to “Oil Threads”