Which Red Line in tranny?

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
Pootierider
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Which Red Line in tranny?

Postby Pootierider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am

I'm going with Heavy Duty Shockproof in the gearbox and final drive!!!

Burt1713
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Burt1713 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Will switching to synthetic to soon delay the break in of the transmission?
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby hotflash44 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 am

my dealer said i was good to go, all broken in at 1800km actually the manual says 1000km is break in period. Your Ural is newer like mine, it has the Herzog German made gears, which don't need as much break in. as i understand. I switched my trans at 1100km and the fd at 1700km and i will be doing the engine today at 1900km. All red line products. I don't care about the cost, only want what i consider the best oil, by the way i can pi$$ away the cost difference in oils, just on Starbucks coffee, so why not spend extra money on my pride and joy. My advice for whats it worth ,is do the change don't read to much into the various opinions even mine.
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4

Burt1713
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Burt1713 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Have you noticed any difference in shifting since switching the transmission to Red Line lube?
2017 cT "Woody Moose"

sixbennetts
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby sixbennetts » Tue May 16, 2017 6:23 pm

I switched to Redline Heavy Duty Shock-proof 85W/90 in both the gearbox and the final about a year ago, and it was the best thing I've done to it so far. REALLY pleased with it.

Shifts smooth as butter, significantly less crunchy, and drain plugs last time I drained was clean. Very minute amounts of dark sludge in the mix, and no filings or swarf at all. I was seriously thinking about just dumping it back in.

I love Redline.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:30 pm

yes Burt1713, i have! I now have redline in all three, 20w60,trans oil,final drive oil. just changed the engine today had castrol 20w50 not even a hair in the plug, so other than the hopeful better lubrication here in the Las Vegas summer heat the jury is still out on the redline 20w60.
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4

PAfromQC

Postby PAfromQC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 am

Hi all!

Well im new to the Ural scene, got recently a 2014 efi gear up with 6800km (now 7500km).

The tranny was noisy and clunky, neutral was a pain to find, most of the time had to kill the engine to find it and to put it in reverse, plus often grinding noise on shifting even with a blip of throttle between shifts to align shafts...and often had that false neutral between 3rd and 4th gear, bike ran 20w50 mineral castrol oil in both engine and tranny and 80w90 castrol gear oil in final drive from previous owner. When i drop oils, engine was dark and blackish a bit of metal on plug, nothing alarming. tranny oil had a bit of goldish color in it and a bit of metal on plugs, pasty. final drive oil had silvery colors in it and pasty metal on plug. I will keep a close eye on next oil drop for metal contents...been told that ural takes a bit of time to break in.

After some reading and phone calls ( spoke to redline people) , i decided id go with redline and there fully synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil for the engine and for the gearbox and final drive i went with their Vtwin transmission gear oil with shockproof (same as heavyduty shockproof gear oil, just cheaper per quartz at my supplier).

My observations since: about a 100km done since dropping oils, engine start up a bit less noisy and feels a bit more gutsy at highway speed. final drive, cant say, time will tell. Most noticeable was the gearbox, it's way easier to find neutral, not perfect but no comparo to before, still a nice clunk upon gear change but the grinding occurs on rare occasion while putting in gears, tranny noises are down while cruising...false neutral between 3rd and 4th gear still present. For me its night and day.

I live in Quebec city, temp can range form 8-10 celcius in the morning up to close to 28-30 celcius at its highest during day time at this time butcan get hotter in july.

To conclude, using redline full synthetic oils (or probably any good quality brands synthetic lubricants, just seen lots of great comments about redline products and it wasnt more expensive than royal purple or lucas oils for example) did improve my ural on the first ride.

Ill try to post comments when ill do my next maintenance.

(please forgive my english since its not perfect)

Pierre

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 am

Ditto on everyone else, i switched to rl all around, 20w60 engine, rl trans oil, the stuff that looks like Pepto Bismal, 75w140 in fd. shifts good, engine and fd all seem happy, really how do you know if its better. As the bike gets more miles 2500k now some say the trans will work smoother. Guess it makes me feel better more than anything! Expensive but cant hurt.

Burt1713
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Burt1713 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 pm

I put redline heavy shockproof oil in the transmission, it made a big difference. I can actually put the bike in neutral without using reverse to do it. Seems to shift smoother too.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:10 am

my 2016 with redline also goes into neu every time, and had to adjust the green light three times,very easy to do. But i can feel neutral with my toe like on the old Triumphs. I always use the toe shift method as i don't have the feel in the heal.

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:45 pm

wonder if anyone has tried some real thick oil in the trans like Motor Honey, STP, final drive oil i mean thick stuff. or is this dangerous to the innards.

Return to “Oil Threads”