Speedometer lubricant preference

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Speedometer lubricant preference

Postby Tpex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:20 pm

At 10K Kilometers I figured I may as well lube the speedometer cable. There is no issues with it, the needle moves smoothly. The cable on my 2012 seems to have crimped fitting to each end of the cable, so I'm not able to slid the cable out to clean and lube. Unlike other motorcycles which are primarily only operated in warm weather, I plan to drive mine in the winter. With this in mind I figured a grease (white lithium spray) would not be ideal.

My first choice is the PJ1 cable lube, also can be used on the clutch cable. Another choice is to pour motor oil in the top fitting where there is a cap of sorts and let it seep in.

Other choices?

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Speedometer lubricant preference

Postby rivers » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:08 pm

Personally I'd leave it alone till you need to lube it. I would no way pour motor into one end of the sheath, just make a mess. Keep in mind a speedo cable is just a long spring and if bad and causing a bouncy needle, it's not the cable rubbing on the sheath. It's crud, rust etc in between the coils of the spring that bind/catch/release that causes the bounce. If you want to lube the cable, remove it from the sheath. Clean it well. There are dedicated "speedo" cable lubes that work well if applied correctly. but speedo cables are different construction/function than throttle, clutch etc cables. I prefer a light machine oil, spindle lube etc. 3-in-1 oil works great and easy to find. With a cleaned cable I'll massage the lube into the coils of the cable with my fingers to insure it gets in there where it counts. There are dry speedo cable lubes(powdered graphite) that work well on a clean and dry cable. Still gotta work it into the cable not just spritz it on the outside. Then wipe off any extra, any extra is just going to gum things up. If you're going to be riding in extreme cold, no way would I use any type of grease.
Just my two cents worth. ;)
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Msblu79

Postby Msblu79 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:34 pm

+1 on using a light machine oil, stuff like PJ1 cable lube will be to thick and cause drag on the cable. Very light oils or powders are best as Rivers stated.
2010 Black Patrol

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:39 pm

I used a couple drops of MMO because it was handy. So far so good.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. I do have some dry graphite lube, but as I wrote I'm unable to remove the cable from the housing because the ends have crimped fittings (at least it appears that way, maybe I'm wrong?).

There is CRC Dry Graphite Lube spray http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=03094.

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:08 pm

OK, just found this from CRC: http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05005

In Applications it list "speedometer cables"

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:09 am

I stay away from any 'multi purpose lubricant' when treating Bowden or speedometer cables. Graphite or PTFE spray is my preferred choice .
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Tin Man » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Graphite
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Return to “Oil Threads”