Final drive oil

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
Mud Gunner

Re: final drive oil

Postby Mud Gunner » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:42 am

Snakeoil...you da man !! I had wondered where to find syringes for my FD oil change today and could not figure out where to go.....will hit up a TSC this week !! Thanks for that info :)
2009 Retro.....no name yet
Lanark, Ontario
Canada EH !!

Snakeoil
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:13 pm

I would have never thought to look at TSC or a farm store. I'm not a farmer and never set foot in their big critters dept. I went to a pharmacy the first time I got mine and the price was a bit staggering. It was the pharmacist that suggested I try a place that sold supplies for farm animals.

They work great for changing fork oil from the bottom drain plug rather than pulling off the top caps, which have stuff in the way on many modern bikes.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:17 pm

The larger syringes don't come needles, they are used to "drench" large animals. Drenching is a way to shoot a lot of medication down an animals throat.

Sure works great on Ural FD.

Now there's a totally useless bit of information for you guys!

Ragman
2012 Ural Patrol

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Lmo wrote:Flush and fill, never heard of that before, but it makes complete sense. Tribal lore is great stuff!

I'd never heard of it either, until I got a Ural :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: final drive oil - CUPS

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:48 pm

I have a big Syringe with clear hose attached, left over from my last hospital stay. I find it most useful for withdrawing overfilled fluids. I prefer to use the small plastic MEDICINE CUPS with embossed measurements for filling my Final Drive, they are flexible enough to form a spout to pour from, my synthetic gear oil goes right into FD with no extra fuss, waste or mess. Perfect for me.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

rivers

Postby rivers » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Ragmanx1 wrote:The larger syringes don't come needles, they are used to "drench" large animals. Drenching is a way to shoot a lot of medication down an animals throat.

Sure works great on Ural FD.

Now there's a totally useless bit of information for you guys!

Ragman

More useless info. They do use the larger syringes for injecting into veins, but yeah they don't come with needles. Gotta pay extra for a needle, about a buck. I've got 60 ml/cc syringes and a couple needles for sneaking lube into seals etc. The ones my local vet sells for the 60 ml outfits are size 18 x1A. Wouldn't try pushing 90w gear lube through it but handy to have one on hand.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:00 pm

I was referring to a large 100 to 150 ml Irrigation Syringe, to answer the question of a good way to fill the FD.
Ragman
2012 Ural Patrol

jaybird
Comrade General
Comrade General
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Postby jaybird » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:29 am

It's been my experience that any oil is better than no oil, and with the tight service intervals on these things, you could probably get away with using Mazola. Wether you use 80w/90, 85w/140 or Toad sputum "Probably" won't hurt the final drive as much as "loose" or poor quality bolts/bearings/gears.
Dino or Synthetic? What kind of oil do you think the Commies use when it's not their day to be "equal", and they need final drive oil? Syringes? You guys have too much time on your hands.
To the OP, A legitimate question, but, dump what you have in the final drive and get riding, you'll be a lot happier and it won't be long before you need another oil change anyway, then you can put in whatever you like. Besides, If you're not using Gas and Oil from LUKOIL, your Rig will self destruct anyway

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Siberian Mule
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Final drive oil

Postby Siberian Mule » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:18 am

I am one of the fortunate few that has, not one, but TWO...large glass syringes. I use them for all sorts of nasty stuff that needs to be measured accurately.

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Here's my version. I always have these in the ammo box with other stuffs. :mrgreen: I have a small measuring glass, I pour 4.5oz of Redline oil in it, I then transfer the oil to a ketchup dispenser that I bought at the grocery store. I just squirt the oil into the FD fill hole...no muss, no fuss, no mess. Any small plastic squirt bottle will do. Have not done it yet but I have an empty plastic bottle of "Ride on Goop" (cleaned) that has a snap cap similar to the ketchup dispenser. I'll fill it with 4.5oz of liquid & mark the level. It is smaller & will be easier to carry along. YMMV
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

Bob_B
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Bob_B » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 pm

rivers wrote:....Only other concern is that it's NOT an EP(high pressure)rated gear lube. Bad juju for yellow metal bits. ....

I just purchased https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/VAR831/VAR831 then ran across this thread.
"Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil Is A Thermally Stable, Extreme-Pressure Gear Lubricant That w/ST&S Severe Temperatures & Shock Loading While Providing Excellent Anti-Wear, Anti-Scuffing, Rust & Corrosion Protection.
Reduced Chattering In Limited-Slip Differentials"

So, return it?

Yakatak

Postby Yakatak » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 am

This is just MY opinion,,but it IS an oil thread. If I lived in Phoenix, I'd go with a synthetic.

"Valvoline SynPower™ Full Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated for ultimate protection and performance. A thermally stable, extreme-pressure gear lubricant, it is designed to operate and protect in both high and low extreme-temperature conditions. SynPower Gear Oil is specially recommended for limited-slip hypoid differentials and is compatible with conventional gear lubricants."
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt
2009 Suzuki DR650
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
1983 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III
1972 750 Norton Commando (2)

Bob_B
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Bob_B » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Realizing I picked up the wrong product I did a little research. Various comments seemed to like Red Line Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil which was $15/qt at amazon. Figure its good for 9 changes so what the hey.

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:01 pm

was on the freeway today big head wind cruising at 55mph for about 15 minutes, when i got to my destination i could smell that 90w gear oil on the muffler stink. just 4 or 5 drops came out of the vent you could see a trail going down and dripped onto the muffler. heard of this before dont think its a problem only did this once. i didn't over fill the fd 135ml as per manual. bike is 2016gu with 800 miles.
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:31 pm

hf44...I have a 2007 Patrol, manual calls for 135ml (4.5oz) & I fill the FD w/this amount. No problem about puking oil. Used to have this problem, till I let the FD drain overnight then fill it w/4.5oz the next day. I have been doing this ritual for almost 2 yrs now (I think) & vent area remains clean. Just sayin'...YMMV.
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

Return to “Oil Threads”