What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
User avatar
wecoyote
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:20 am
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan

Re: What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Postby wecoyote » Sat May 28, 2016 7:26 am

Msblu79 wrote:Urals need oil designed for air-cooled engines, Oils rated SH or LOWER for motorcycles use only are fine, try not to use modern automotive oils with ratings higher than SH as they DO NOT provide adequate protection anymore for air-cooled engines. Oils with SG or higher ratings have little to no anti-wear additives as these will kill modern catalytic converters and have been replaced with additives that won't tolerate the higher temps that air-cooled engines run at.


I know there is an entire section here to discuss oil, however, I am curious to know what oil you use.
Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius (Have Brain, Will Travel)
Royal Oak, MI

Hagrid - 2016 URAL GearUp
Vicki - 2011 Victory Cross Roads Custom
Henry - 2013 F150 Super Crew 4x4


The universe has a funny way of working things out.

User avatar
antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Somewhere between Chicago and Milwaukee...

Re: What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Postby antisoshal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:06 am

Mothra35 wrote:I know a guy "Harley Guy" that changes his oil every time after he rides...old guy, lot of time, kinda gives him something to do I guess.

Does he wear a different HD T-Shirt each time too?
2011 Patrol painted Red October Red: Custom Harley Rocket Tail exhaust, 20 Watt LED brake lamps, 20 Watt LED driving lights, Re-wired sidecar with 12 Position fuse box, in dash Fusion Audio weather radio/mp3 player w/128gig SSD storage, Sirius radio and occasionally a beautiful wife.

What would Ivan do? Get plastered, fall off the bike and sleep it off in the sidecar.

User avatar
Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 am
Location: St. Rose,LoUiSiAna
Contact:

Re: What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Postby Mothra35 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:09 am

antisoshal wrote:
Mothra35 wrote:I know a guy "Harley Guy" that changes his oil every time after he rides...old guy, lot of time, kinda gives him something to do I guess.

Does he wear a different HD T-Shirt each time too?



I swear when you buy a one they throw in 365 t-shirts :lol:
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"
--1984 Honda Aero 125--
My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

User avatar
Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:00 pm
Location: Invading Upstate NewYorkastan

Re: What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Postby Msblu79 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:19 pm

wecoyote wrote:
Msblu79 wrote:Urals need oil designed for air-cooled engines, Oils rated SH or LOWER for motorcycles use only are fine, try not to use modern automotive oils with ratings higher than SH as they DO NOT provide adequate protection anymore for air-cooled engines. Oils with SG or higher ratings have little to no anti-wear additives as these will kill modern catalytic converters and have been replaced with additives that won't tolerate the higher temps that air-cooled engines run at.


I know there is an entire section here to discuss oil, however, I am curious to know what oil you use.



I use Royal Purple 20W-50 Max-Cycle oil in engine and 75W-140 in the tranny & FD. Check out the link to their page about the oil. The tensioner shown on that page is supplied by us here at BorgWarner to Harley and the pictures of the worn faces are for real. The oils we use in our Urals has to protect ball bearings and gears as well and automotive oils won't do that. We use all types of oils for testing in car & bike engines in our shop and have a pretty good feel for what works and what doesn't. http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/prod ... engine-oil
2010 Black Patrol

User avatar
antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Somewhere between Chicago and Milwaukee...

Re: What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Postby antisoshal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 am

Mothra35 wrote:
antisoshal wrote:
Mothra35 wrote:I know a guy "Harley Guy" that changes his oil every time after he rides...old guy, lot of time, kinda gives him something to do I guess.

Does he wear a different HD T-Shirt each time too?



I swear when you buy a one they throw in 365 t-shirts :lol:


no way. You get 5 and a map. They are like merit badges where all you have to do is spend money to earn them. Its easy though, because even if you miss an event, they just keep making random new designs for that event, so you can still buy them and act like youve been to every ride in and event on the planet without leaving home or staying out after dark.
2011 Patrol painted Red October Red: Custom Harley Rocket Tail exhaust, 20 Watt LED brake lamps, 20 Watt LED driving lights, Re-wired sidecar with 12 Position fuse box, in dash Fusion Audio weather radio/mp3 player w/128gig SSD storage, Sirius radio and occasionally a beautiful wife.

What would Ivan do? Get plastered, fall off the bike and sleep it off in the sidecar.

User avatar
Ragmanx1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Glide,Orygun

Re: What if I do two break-in oil changes?

Postby Ragmanx1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Msblu79 wrote:Urals need oil designed for air-cooled ball-bearing engines, Oils rated SH or LOWER for motorcycles use only are fine, try not to use modern automotive oils with ratings higher than SH as they DO NOT provide adequate protection anymore for air-cooled engines. Oils with SG or higher ratings have little to no anti-wear additives as these will kill modern catalytic converters and have been replaced with additives that won't tolerate the higher temps that air-cooled engines run at.


Ditto on that! I use Brad Penn ($6.20 qt.delivered from Amazon) or Castrol 4T. Both rated SG/H rated.

Ragman
2012 Ural Patrol


Return to “Oil Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests