Syntentic oil vrs conventional

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
BostonRickB
Party Member
Party Member

Syntentic oil vrs conventional

Postby BostonRickB » Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 am

I am nit sure if anyone has gone over this topic but I am looking into it so I wanted to start a conversation on it.
Ok. They say syntentic oil is chemicaly put togethrr with high heat, and collection of deposits, ie carbon from the buring of the gas in the cylinders, as its proof of superiorty over c9nventional oil. Does anyone kniw of any studys that have been done and released to show this is true anf is worded so your advrage comsumer can under stand it? I for one got over 230,000 miles out of a chevy 305 v8 on conventional oil. The price difference between syntentic and conventionl with an oil change every 3000 miles would have been astronimial if I went with syntinic. I am not sure how many miles or years people expect from a vehical but I like to hold on to them till its uneceonimial to put money into it vrs buying new and starting over. Now i own a jeep with a 6 cylinder. I now will look at the color of the oil and when it gets to a point closer to black than I am conformetable with Ill get the oil changed. No more every 3000-6000 miles. Syntentic oil is used in jet airplanes beacayce of the heat they produce. A car enginr doesnt get close to these temps even with turbo. Although this is a guess. I have not seen the tests or numbers. Ok so here is where I stand. Convention oil is as good as syntentic oil. Its cheaper and with no added advantages with long term engine wear, syntenic is not worth the price. Whats your opiniom on this.
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Syntentic oil vrs conventional

Postby rivers » Mon May 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Nah syn-vs-dino oil has never come up before, :lol: All the modern brand name oils are excellent. These motors have been plodding along on dino for 70+ years. Syn IMHO is better for extreme conditions but it's not a must have for most folks uses. Pick a quality name brand that meets the specs you need. Syn or dino, which ever makes you happy. It's all good.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Bilgekeeldave » Mon May 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Go to Bob is the oil guy website.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

There are discussion boards and more information about oil than you will ever need.
RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:25 pm

I use 5-40 syn in the winter because it flows easier in the cold. Name brand conventional 20-50 seems to work fine the other 3 seasons.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Mon May 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Topics like this are the reason entire oil sections exist lol. Run whatever you like. Regular maintenance is the most important thing
Jon
Central Texas/Copperas Cove
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Mon May 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Synthetic holds up longer - requiring less oil changing (maintenance)
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Mon May 09, 2016 4:09 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:Synthetic holds up longer - requiring less oil changing (maintenance)

While that is true, it also depends on how the machine is operated. I still do oil changes at regular intervals on my machines whether synth or not. Always remember that oil is cheaper than a new engine
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Mon May 09, 2016 6:02 pm

More then one here will remember me as defender for mineral oil.
Anyway.
My first boss Meister Helmut Paetzel used to say:
"It is not important when you do the inspection.
It is important THAT you do the inspection!"
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

flexydude
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby flexydude » Tue May 10, 2016 3:58 pm

changing oil in a vehicle at 5000 mile intervals is a myth and a scam and a waste of money. I change oil in my car and jeep around 9 or 10'000 miles, and never had a oil related problem. my jeep has well over 200'000 miles and runs perfect. My bikes i stay with recommended interval, smaller higher rpm engines are a little more demanding on oil.
2013 gear up
2014 zero ds
2016 klr 650

2013 suzuki gw 250
2007 drz 400
2014 yamaha xt 250

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Tue May 10, 2016 4:40 pm

flexydude wrote:changing oil in a vehicle at 5000 mile intervals is a myth and a scam and a waste of money. I change oil in my car and jeep around 9 or 10'000 miles, and never had a oil related problem. my jeep has well over 200'000 miles and runs perfect. My bikes i stay with recommended interval, smaller higher rpm engines are a little more demanding on oil.

The old myth was 3000 miles. Depending on what vehicle(4 wheeled) and depending on what oil I'm running I used to change every 5k-7k miles. My Beamer is every 15k but the harder I drive it, the lower the change interval drops. Remember that the Ural does not have a very large capacity and the oil in a Ural gets very hot compared to a water cooled engine. Motorcycles are very different than cars. I change oil every 5k miles on my GSXR and every 5k km on my Ural.
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Doc » Wed May 11, 2016 8:53 am

Like Subsnowden said "oil is cheaper than a new engine". I run Redline Oil in my 2003 Indian Chief and 2015 GU.

V-Twin Motorycycle Oils for your engine:
http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=50
ImageImage

V-Twin Transmission Oil with Shock Proof article:
http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49

Heavy Shock Proof for your final drive:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8

CV-2 Grease for your grease gun:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82&pcid=17

I believe URALNE uses Redline, but I could be wrong.
:cheers:
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"TRUMP PENCE 2020 - KEEPING AMERICA GREAT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Thu May 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Red Line makes a great product, I used it in my 2 strokes. For decades I have used AMSOIL, now that I'm retired I'm buying Mobil 1 @ Wal Mart. Seems to work just as well - over the last 8 years. All Synthetics are likely to weep or leak if extra care is not taken (my only criticism).
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Return to “Oil Threads”