Oil Pump Shaft Connection: Question

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
jrvb
Party Member
Party Member

Oil Pump Shaft Connection: Question

Postby jrvb » Mon May 02, 2016 9:06 am

Ok, just removed the oil pump and gave it a bit of a clean. If you look at the photos, you will see a centre piece , which is about one inch long with two eyes in it, the left eye holds it on to the main shaft that goes up it to the engine, and the other one of the right, fits onto the oil pump fitting, which you can see sicking out.

So my question is, does this just shove on as seen in the photo, or should it be permanently connected to the pump, just like the other end - or doesn't it matter.

Cheers Jeff

Jeff Roberts
1967 KMZ K750
Manchester - UK
http://www.jrvapourblasting.co.uk

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Oil Pump Shaft Connection: Question

Postby rivers » Tue May 03, 2016 1:35 pm

I haven't been that deep into a IMX/KMZ motor but suspect it'd just be a slip fit. If the long pump shaft required a set screw, is there even working room to install a screw with the pump mounted? Not sure on a KMZ but doesn't pump mount from below and the shaft drop in from the top?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

jrvb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jrvb » Tue May 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes, it does fit from below. But I was just asking whether it should be connected like the other end. After all it does have the indentations just like the other end.

The way it is doesn't effect the operation in anyway by just slotting onto the pump, I was just asking if it should be fixed.

Cheers Jeff
Jeff Roberts
1967 KMZ K750
Manchester - UK
http://www.jrvapourblasting.co.uk

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue May 03, 2016 4:25 pm

I don't see any sign in the stub shaft divit a set screw was ever used. A good clue would be if the long shaft collars hole is threaded? I'd suspect it's a drop-on slip fit. Can't see where a set screw would be needed or even desired. 1967 huh? If it's been working fine for 50 years just slip fitted I wouldn't suspect a design flaw.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

wyowillys46
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby wyowillys46 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Just took a look at the pump out of my flathead. I believe they are dimpled into the divot on each shaft with a press. It's intended to be a flexible/wobbly coupling. Drill the end of the oil pump shaft to a slightly larger diameter and drive a tight fitting pin into the coupling and through the pump shaft.
Morgan

'06 Gear-Up
195? M72/K750 hybrid

Return to “Oil Threads”