Conclusion-Synthetics are the best to use in Urals

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Conclusion-Synthetics are the best to use in Urals

Post by chaos2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:10 pm

I just did the 25000k, pretty good head of fuzz on the final drive drainplug even though it's had redline the last 10,000k. I think these Russian machines are not sophisticated enough to appreciate fine fluids.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

cueman
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cueman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:51 pm

I should have also said that I change gearbox and final drive at every oil change. Yes I know it's overkill, but that's just me. :lol: cueman
2012 Ural-T O.D.

FlyingMonkees
Party Member
Party Member

Post by FlyingMonkees » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Well, to throw a little heads up to help with the cost of synthetics, Right now at Auto Zone they have Valvoline full synthetic 20W-50 motorcycle oil on clearance for $5 qt. AND until May 5th they are also taking $2 off per qt on motorcycle and racing oil, and that applies to the clearance Valvoline. $3/qt synthetic...
2014 Camo Gear Up (Светлана)
2010 Rust Camo Gear Up (Ольга)
2014 Harley Ultra Limited
PA-31

prstone50
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by prstone50 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 am

FlyingMonkees wrote:Well, to throw a little heads up to help with the cost of synthetics, Right now at Auto Zone they have Valvoline full synthetic 20W-50 motorcycle oil on clearance for $5 qt. AND until May 5th they are also taking $2 off per qt on motorcycle and racing oil, and that applies to the clearance Valvoline. $3/qt synthetic...

I don't know shoutout guys but, I have an oil buying addiction! Sitting on top of 5gallons of various oils I buy on sale :foilhead: Heck, now I want to go to AutoZone haha ! Thanks for the heads up. :boogie:
2013 Gear Up Forest Fog "Yuri"
2000 Kuwalski Super Sherpa "Olive" ... sold
2007 TW200 "Steve"
2017 KLR650 "Roja"
Laramie, WY

stevesdniper
Party Member
Party Member

Post by stevesdniper » Mon May 04, 2015 1:38 pm

When you say Semi synth,....how synthetic is it? Half??(semi)...what percentage synth, would be necessary??....couldn't we be trusted to mix a bit of synth to our oil of preference???....and even if it were fully synthetic...how synthetic is it? as the standard old 20/50, is not a naturally occurring product is it! could be called synthetic really....just wondering....

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Wed May 13, 2015 6:48 pm

What d'yalls think of the Valvoline 20w50 VR1 synthetic oil. Fair amount of ZDDP, says racing oil but street friendly :? Dunno what that means. :mrgreen:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Wed May 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Means you can pour it on the street and it won't hurt anything.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

kawzak
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by kawzak » Thu May 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Well lets see, its been a year now since this post was started by me. I am still using Mobil 1 "V" twin oil. I believe in this Texas heat, It had to help. Ural still running strong, even though low miles compared to some of you. Synthetics are still the best,Fire away!.
1999 victory V-92c Ser # 67
2012 Ural Patrol
20+ bikes and a couple scooters

prstone50
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by prstone50 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:25 pm

I tell you what, if I ever get off my lazy rump and do an oil analysis I will post it here and maybe we can see empirical evidence ( kind of fancy words for me) . I run synthetic in the winter and regular Castrol 20w50 in the summer . I just feel like the 5w40 synthetic helps in the winter for sub freezing starts. I may throw some of the mobile vtwin stuff in Yuri some day and test that out !
2013 Gear Up Forest Fog "Yuri"
2000 Kuwalski Super Sherpa "Olive" ... sold
2007 TW200 "Steve"
2017 KLR650 "Roja"
Laramie, WY

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:33 pm

I prefer Synthetics also, & have had a marked improvement in performance & reliability since I started using them years ago.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Ragmanx1
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ragmanx1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Svetlana no like synthetic.

She like organic dinosaur juice only.

Oleg
2012 Ural Patrol

coldboreshot
Party Member
Party Member

Post by coldboreshot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 pm

I prefer highly refined unicorn oil, using rendered panda fat as an anti shear additive
Shepherdstown WV
Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous
2015 Asphalt Gear Up "The Piglet"
16 Tundra
A beautiful wife of 25 years (can't figure out why she stays, but glad she does)
Two great kids
A psychotic Boxer dog "Ruby"
An American Dingo "Frank"

RC20
Party Member
Party Member

Post by RC20 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Old thread but interested in the oil take.

New to the group but ran cycles for a long time and will be getting back into it with a Ural cT if all works out in 1.5 years.

Also repaired and maintained diesel engines for 35 years.

My take was diesels did not benefit from synthetic but did like good diesel grade oil of course. Some of it is so close to synthetic now that its as good in the high temp area (or so close as to make no difference due to the crud build up. Newer engines have changed.

I did run the Delo 400 in the cycles for a while. Just good quality oil, AK you don't need the high temp capability.

However, I also ran in cold temps and got caught out in some under 30 degree mornings and the start was iffy.

The machines got shifted to synthetic to solve that and no issues. All air cooled in those days.

I have a diesel Passat that requires synthetic oil. It has Unit injector (cam driven nozzle and injection pump in one unit in the head) and to stuff that in an older design engine, they had to make narrow cams. It needed the best extreme pressure oil you can get, ergo synthetic.

I run it in all my vehicles due to low temp starting.

You can run it longer as it does not break down as fast. The Passat oil change is 10k regardless of service and that is in a diesel and its not as clean burning as the newer ones are.

Where you can run into issues is an old cruded up but stable engine that you put in good oil that the detergent release the crud and it plugs up oil passages and moves into bearings.

Conventional oil that are oriented to air cooled engines are fine, long term a diesel or synthetic would be better.

What I do depends on where the cT winds up living. Stateside in the N.W. it will get Delo 400 or synthetic after the break in (and that is up in the air in my mind so far, 1,000 to 2000 miles likely). If it lives in AK then synthetic.

I may change my mind, oil is a pretty subjective area as the thread mentions. Not alwyas a direct cause and affected though suspicion is oil if that is what you changed and then it went South.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems