Overfilled Crankcase - Chevy Truck

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Overfilled Crankcase - Chevy Truck

Postby Lmo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Obviously not Ural related.

I just spent a small fortune on my '89 Silverado C2500 pickup. Part of all the service was a simple oil change and filter. The truck was delivered (driven about fifteen miles) to my house last Monday and has been since then. This morning I went out and noticed a wet spot on the asphalt, probably 18" in diameter. It is definitely engine oil so I checked the level to see if it was down from the full mark. It was a quart OVER FILLED.

So, other than the huge mess it's made on the underside of the truck, and the now lack of confidence in the shop that did the work*, it there the possibility of any actual damage that can result from over filling the crank case? Main seal damage, perhaps. Indicated oil pressure is 60+ pounds (if the stock gauge can be believed).

* other work included; replaced Pittman arm, front brake rotors/pads, rear master cylinders, flushed brake system, new radiator and hoses.
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Abaxter593
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Overfilled Crankcase - Chevy Truck

Postby Abaxter593 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

For that short amount of time, you're going to be fine.

Just drain the excess, and keep an eye on any new leaks.

Bring it up to the shop, who did the work so if you do find new leaks they know about the situation.

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks Bax. My thoughts too, but I haven't wrench on 350s so I thought I'd ask.

I don't plan on doing anything, for what I paid this nationally known auto service chain they're going to have to pick up my truck with a tilt bed, and take care of their mess (and the new mess under my truck).
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

rivers

Postby rivers » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Over filling is to be avoided. Too much oil can get beat to a froth and foam doesn't lube well. I'm an old Chev guy but not up on Chev's new fangled motors. Newest one I've owned was an 83 but it was the 6.2 dsl. How much is too much will vary with eng design. A qt over though pushing it prolly(?) didn't do any harm in the 15 mile ride home, but rather than gambling I would bring the level down to where it should be. 1/2 qt over generally won't harm anything but don't know about a qt+ over??
Where is the oil leak coming from? Oil filter, drain plug, dip stick, oil fill cap, pan, rear main seal? My first suspect would be the oil filter. We had a new company truck 1980 F-250/4x4/400 CID that had a Jiffy lube do an oil change and didn't catch the oild filter gasket separated fron the filter and stuck to the block. In turn the new filter was double gasketed. Gasket(s) blew out and ate the motor within 30 miles of Interstate Hwy speeds. While you're sourcing the leak, don't rule out the valve covers. If the gaskets are old and funky and the oil drain holes in the heads are plugged with crud, oil will pool up on top on top of the head and leak/drizzle down the block mimicking a rear main seal leak. Find the origin of the leak not just from where it drips to the ground. Pull a qt out, clean up everything below the motor and see if with the proper oil level it's still leaking. Once everything is oil free a trick is dust everything with baby power/talcum or even baking soda. It'll show you any fresh oil tracks. At this point I wouldn't panic just yet but would remove a qt and raise hell with the dealer. There's NO excuse for a Chev dealer to over-fill a Chev motor. They shoulda caught the over-fill on the new brakes test drive...sheesh. :?
DISCLAIMER: I am not a real mechanic so this internet replay will not hold up in small claims court. Good luck and stay off the freeways till you get this sorted.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for your input Joe.

It's really hard to tell where the leak is coming from. The bottom of the oil filter (which was replaced) has a few drops of oil on it. The bottom of the transmission pan (automatic) is wet, and the frame cross member that supports the transmission is wet with oil. The "puddle" is directly under the cross member.

Part of this work was to replace both valve cover gaskets. During inspection of the area it was revealed that the intake manifold gasket had developed a minor coolant leak so the intake manifold was R&R with a new gasket; while performing this work one of the bolts broke off and was R&R. I can't see any oil around the base of the valve cover gaskets.

This was not my local Chevrolet Dealer; if this had been something other than "just" a radiator problem I would have taken it to them; it morphed into the extended problem. Mieneke Auto Care Center has worked on my truck in the past with excellent results; this time they appear to have blown it, just not literally, I hope.

But regardless of the company that did the work, the shop manager should have done a road test and approved the work before it was let out of the shop.

We'll see how it goes.... in the meantime, I am again back on two-wheels to get to work.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

mtrdrms
Party Member
Party Member

Postby mtrdrms » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Well it wasn't until the LS motor came out that the Chevy small block took 6 quarts. All others that came before were 5 qts. Its very possible that your engine won't have any leaks. It just expelled the extra from the PCV. Check to see if the air filter housing has oil in it.
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.

2007 BMW R1200GS
1998 Ural Tourist
2013 KTM 450XCF

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Generally the old small block Chevy engines were pretty bullet proof. The is why so many are used in engine swaps in street rods and resto mods.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

hillbillybob
Party Member
Party Member

Postby hillbillybob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm

If it were mine, I'd be checking the coolant level too. With gaskets having been replaced, it could be coolant migrating into the crankcase that's raising the oil level.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris" (38/125 out, 40/135 in, much better)
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (13,262 breakdown free miles)

rivers

Postby rivers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Hillbillybob bings up a good point. don't know what motors Chev ran in 89 but suspect it's EFI with elec fuel pump. If by chance it's carbed with a mech fuel pump run off the cam it's a possibility of the pump diaphragm being holed and leaking fuel into the crankcase.Easy check is smell the oil on the dipstick.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Update:

Air filter nice and dry.
Radiator topped off and coolant reservoir full to the "cold" line.
Dipstick still reads 1/2" above the "full" line.
Still an occasional drip off of the cross member.
Tilt bed will be at the house at 06:00 in the morning. I'll be "supervising" the clean up.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

n3303j

Postby n3303j » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm really leary of incompetence. If a shop screws up a procedure as basic as adding the correct amount of oil to an engine I would be wary of handing them my vehicle for a second shot of their incompetence. It's probably why I end up doing most of my own work.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:49 pm

I would be wary of handing them my vehicle for a second shot of their incompetence.

Considering that the oil change was the absolute simplest procedure performed, this has certainly plagued my subconscious for the past several days.... :brickwall:
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”