rough u joint

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
irondad01
Party Member
Party Member

rough u joint

Postby irondad01 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:07 pm

My rubber donut was getting pretty worn so I changed it today. From new I always had a bit of a tight spot when I pushed the rig around. When I first got it I could smell rubber burning after a long ride. I never could find anything that stood out as being wrong. Putting things back together I found the u joint was free on one side but felt like it had a detent on the other side. So every time it went around it would bind a little. I think not being free to rotate put more of a strain on the donut. When I get a new one I'll tear the old one apart and see what's wrong. Carl
Ural tub on Yamaha 1300
VW trike
Suzuki S-40 rebuilt to look like 50s-60s British single

irondad01
Party Member
Party Member

Re: rough u joint

Postby irondad01 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:35 pm

I tore the u joint apart today. It looked like brand new inside and nothing looked out of place. Cleaned everything up and put it back together. It's smooth as could be. I don't think one of the needle bearings could have been out of place and still have the snap rings in place. Big mystery. I think I'll buy a spare and put in the trunk. I have about 8500 km on this one. Carl
Ural tub on Yamaha 1300
VW trike
Suzuki S-40 rebuilt to look like 50s-60s British single

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby wooden nickel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Hey as long as it worked, you're golden. By your description, I would have bet on a dry cup on the u-joint.
Having a spare u-joint is good. If you don't catch them in time, they will destroy the yokes.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

LRP

Postby LRP » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 am

The donut is not a U joint, BUT the drive shaft may operate smoother if the U joint yoke and the donut yoke are in the same plane.
On a 2 wheel drive Ural the side car drive shaft yokes must be in the same plane end to end or damage will occur.
Army Bird Dog Pilot, Nam.
'08 Green Patrol "Green Hornet"
130/42 jets. JC Whitney mufflers with 4" added baffles=5mph+

19 previous motos

GHGoodwin

Postby GHGoodwin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Had the same problem on my '12. 10,000Km. Found this after having to beat the u-joint out.

Bent to the right. Other side same and u-joint cups don't line up anymore.
CIMG0527.JPG

Egged out about 3/4mm top to bottom.
CIMG0528.JPG

Not sure what caused it but I'm waiting for replacements as I type.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”