Front tire change PITA...

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
harryball
Comrade General
Comrade General

Front tire change PITA...

Postby harryball » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:11 am

OK, if anyone was wondering "should I use locktite on my front axle" the answer is NO. And if you are wondering "should I use red locktite on my front axle" the answer is FREAKING HECK NO!.

I went to remove the front wheel of this 2010 Patrol and it seemed MUCH more difficult to remove than I saw on the videos. To make a long story short, I used PB Blaster thinking this might be rust... and after bending/breaking several bars and tools I pulled out a VERY LARGE pipe wrench, inserted a large bolt through the axle hole and decided the two of us were either going to break the axle free or rip the front forks off. I kid you not, we were able to lift the front of the bike with it. Changed position, the two of us managed to compress the front springs almost 2" still no go. Changing to a push down position we finally broke the thing loose and unscrewed it. After some cleaning and close inspection I found the unmistakable ring of red locktite around the threads. I thought SURELY NOT... so I cleaned it again and then gave it to my Son without prompting he looked at it and said "Red Locktite, why would anyone do that?"

So... NO LOCKTITE of ANY kind on the front axle please, I might want to buy your used rig one day and I just don't need that kind of work.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula"
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler"
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Front tire change PITA...

Postby Albuquralque » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:38 pm

My first thought would've been you are turning the wrong way because it is a reverse threaded axle. But red loctite............never would've guessed!
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

harryball
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby harryball » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Albuquralque wrote:My first thought would've been you are turning the wrong way because it is a reverse threaded axle. But red loctite............never would've guessed!

Yeah... After the first few pointless attempts I even went back to the book then went and found another video just to make SURE I was going the right way round. I doubt the PO did it, at least not directly. From the fact the front tire was an oddball wrong sized cheap wrong load rated tire, the PO probably had a problem on the road and stopped somewhere for a fix. The shop "fixed it up" for him and sent him on his way. That's just speculation but it would fit.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula"
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler"
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Something my Dnepr front axle has stamped into the end with the tommy bar hole in it.

The crylic letter л which is the abbreviation for налево ( to the left )
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I got the nut off okay, but the axle was rusted solid in the wheel bearings, had to use a BFH to drift it out. Would have been SOL if I tried to change it on the road. Cleaned up nicely and reassembled with LOTS of anti-seize.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:10 pm

I didn't think I'd be wrenching on the Dnepr for the last three months, but now I know what I've got, and how to tear it apart. No stuck parts on my scooter :-) I did, however, have to resort to using RED LOCTITE :shock: on the shock strut/eyelet joint on two shocks ( the valve assembly bolts were frozen onto the struts (which then backed out of the eyelets)).
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

n3303j

Postby n3303j » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 am

2,000+ PSI Shear strength.
Gotta love Red Loctite.
Just NEVER on an axle (or most other parts for that matter).

Most of the time Red Loctite is used as a REPAIR.
(Or as a permanent assembly bond)
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”