Rocker arm question

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
blairbear

Rocker arm question

Postby blairbear » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I went in to check a noisy valve sound on the right side ( tub) checked torque both sides,set valves l/s then to the r/s every time I came up to TDC. Something wasn't right the intake rocker was tight. After a few attempts to TDC, I loosed up the adjustment for the intake and found the rocker moving around very oddly. After a few attempts to remove the rocker shaft, I just pulled the whole assembly off.
What I found was the shaft had maybe .020 to.030 engagement in the top hole. In time had worn itself free. I think the shat was never installed far enough and the retaining screw was locked on the shaft instead of in the retaining slot. And somehow in broke the rocker arm bracket web.
Now for the questions, looking at the IPC it shows left and right brackets. Is that in reference to looking straight in on the head?
When I get the new bracket and install it, should the other two head nuts be loosened up and all four brought up together or can I just bring up the two to proper torque?
Thanks
Blair Turney
1206 Covie Drive
Dalton,GA

Tomcatfixer
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Rocker arm question

Postby Tomcatfixer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:34 pm

I broke the tub-side intake valve adjuster, so I guess I've got to remove the intake rocker to replace it.
Now I've got the same torque question.
2016-08-10 17.33.51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

GHGoodwin

Postby GHGoodwin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Loosen them all up. Proper torque is around 35 ft lbs, which is what I use, although there isa lot of discussion on this.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:10 pm

On my 07, I was able to purchase just the valve adjuster cup & nut..BTDT :oops: Any of the Ural dealer should have 'em.
With regards to the rocker arm shaft (on my 07), it has a flat spot where the screw sits on preventing shaft rotation...dunno about the new ones. Also I shimmed the top & bottom of the shaft so the rocker striker arm (dunno what ya call it) is hitting close to the center of the valve stem. I get the shims from ModTop, I think he recommends .001" vertical play. I use the feeler gauge to set 'em.
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

n3303j

Postby n3303j » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:09 am

Put the rocker shaft assembly on FIRST and bring those nuts lose to torque value. Then loosen and retorque the other side close to value (maybe 20 ft/lb all around). Now torque to final value in the normal pattern.

If you loosen all four nuts the head can shift in relationship to the gasket which increases your chances for leaks at the head gasket. Using the above method guarantees that the head stays in its original position on its gasket.

I'm one of the guys who uses and recommends 25 ft/lb as a final torque value. 50 million BMWs can't be wrong.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

Crawford Sales Co.
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Crawford Sales Co. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:17 am

I would like to add a comment while we are talking about rocker arm assembles. Everybody assumes that the mounting surface of the assembly is flat. It isn't on a lot of them. What ever you torque them you are basically pulling them down flat to the surface of the head which is flat. This is not good because it will change the accuracy of the valve adjustment. Next time you have a rocker arm assembly off put it on the kitchen table or a known flat surface and see how bad it is. A 6 inch belt sander can be your friend if done correctly.
Terry Crawford
Crawford Sales
248-437-8107
http://www.crawfordsales.info
crawfordsales@sbcglobal.net

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”