the "plumber" came visit

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

the "plumber" came visit

Postby gobium » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:10 pm

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: the "plumber" came visit

Postby gobium » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Plumber crack

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:30 pm

At LeMoto.
we don't take cash or American express .
Only beers or bullets
20160220_162802.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snakeoil
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Snakeoil » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Van,
Do you think that the HV oil pump makes a difference in engine life/reliability given that the majority of the parts are splash fed? Or is this simple a matter of more is "probably" better so why not do it. Since you are rebuilding these engines all the time, do you see evidence of oil starvation? You know, blue bearings, severly worn cams, lifters, rocker arms, etc?
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Snakeoil wrote:Van,
Do you think that the HV oil pump makes a difference in engine life/reliability given that the majority of the parts are splash fed? Or is this simple a matter of more is "probably" better so why not do it. Since you are rebuilding these engines all the time, do you see evidence of oil starvation? You know, blue bearings, severly worn cams, lifters, rocker arms, etc?

Howdy .
$250 is lot of money for oil pump. Therefore , I let Shawn be the guinea pig.
Will see, I will report back.
in opinion .
It is oil distribution is important.
not hi volume or pressure or lack off

GregAus
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby GregAus » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:59 pm

A high volume oil pump for a CJ750 is a lot cheaper than $250. They have 15mm impeller gears compared to 8mm(?) for the Ural.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:44 pm

GregAus wrote:A high volume oil pump for a CJ750 is a lot cheaper than $250. They have 15mm impeller gears compared to 8mm(?) for the Ural.

Howdy.
would happen to have link for cj pump ?

BinDerSmokDat

Postby BinDerSmokDat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:02 am

When I do my rebuild (or have Van rebuild it :D ) I'm definitely going with the Raceway pump.
Considering what people spend on skidplates that never go off-road or carpet kits for sidecars that are devoid of monkeys 99% of the time, at least this farkle has the potential to actually do something.

Niteblues seat cracked in exactly the same place.
And while not exactly skinny, he isn, a heavyweight either.
He had to stick two rolled up tow straps under it for support and ratchet it down while we limped out of the Pines.

Nice vids.

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Doc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:34 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:When I do my rebuild (or have Van rebuild it :D ) I'm definitely going with the Raceway pump.
Considering what people spend on skidplates that never go off-road or carpet kits for sidecars that are devoid of monkeys 99% of the time, at least this farkle has the potential to actually do something.

Niteblues seat cracked in exactly the same place.
And while not exactly skinny, he isn, a heavyweight either.
He had to stick two rolled up tow straps under it for support and ratchet it down while we limped out of the Pines.

Nice vids.

I agree, and I will be getting the heads, valves, pistons ceramic coated like Scottolds did for his rebuild, read about here and checkout the pics.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42536&hilit=ceramic+coating

Damn, I just might break down and buy the pump now, wifey/monkey not going to be happy as I already have a bunch of stuff for the Ural waiting for me at home, but hell whats one more part.

Would be nice to get some NEW updates from riders that have already installed this pump.
:cheers:
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"TRUMP PENCE 2020 - KEEPING AMERICA GREAT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:41 am

Ural oil pump 70 liter per hour
Raceway oil pump 158 liter per hour

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:55 am

Please.
keep in mind . I m not promoting raceway oil pump.
I m not saying good or bad about pump.
I have no first hand experience with raceway pump.
I have no connection with raceway.
I m just helping a friend .
Your bike your choice .

jaybird
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Postby jaybird » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:21 pm

I have one of those Raceway pumps I plan to install on my next rebuild. The last time through I saw some areas in the oiling system that I thought could be improved, I don't know when I'll get to it as everyone is running OK right now, and I'm currently working on a diesel conversion.
I just wanted to weigh in in favor of the potential of this Mod.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

ichbinbier
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby ichbinbier » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:13 pm

gobium wrote:

Quite disappointed. There was no beer in this video.

:beerchug:
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:57 pm

The oil passages in these engines are meter in some placed with orifices. So increasing volume will result in more pressure and very little additional flow in these areas. You also have to consider that if you flow more oil, you must also be able to return more oil back to the sump. So the return galleries might need to be opened up. If you don't you run the risk of flooding areas like valve covers which could in turn result in oil down the guides and into the combustion chambers. I trust Raceway has looked at this and determined that the engine can handle the added flow where there is indeed added flow.

If you read hot rod articles for plain bearing V8 engines, you'll see that high volume oil pumps are normally not needed and often do more damage than good. A plain bearing develops its oil wedge on its own without the need for pressure. Pressure just assures adequate flow given the feed line sizes.

Here's an extreme example. An industrial gas turbine that makes 26,000 horsepower, runs on two plain bearings that are about 8 inches long. The journal is probably about 12 inches in diameter. The oil pressure for that machine is set at 25 psi and is regulated to that pressure regardless of rotor speed. The bearing simply needs an adequate supply and it will form the oil wedge as it spools up. You could increase the oil pressure which would attempt to increase the volume. But chances are it would just cause turbulence in the oil flow, air entrainment and probably bearing problems.

Oil lubricates and cools. Once a bearing has adequate oil, more does nothing. More flow will remove more heat if you can move the oil thru the bearing and thru the passages.

So, maybe with a splash system that is fed by a pump, having more to spash about does help these engines. But I'd like to see it in action. The oil path in these engines that feeds the splash system is a bit on the tortuous side.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

GregAus
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby GregAus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 am

gobium wrote:
GregAus wrote:A high volume oil pump for a CJ750 is a lot cheaper than $250. They have 15mm impeller gears compared to 8mm(?) for the Ural.

Howdy.
would happen to have link for cj pump ?

MH Moto World sells them on eBay for US$65 plus $16 for Shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CJ750-large-flo ... 8K&vxp=mtr

http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... ts_id=3957 Euro50 (about $47 after VAT discount) plus shipping.

Sidecar Pro probably has them.

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”