2011 Retro -Bad Bearings, bye kongs, shifter knob number 4

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

2011 Retro -Bad Bearings, bye kongs, shifter knob number 4

Postby BigJames » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 am

Turned out my rocker arm issues was main bearings, bad not destroyed by misuse/use!. One was not right, other came apart, no other damage. Excrement occurs, no need to complain about it, knew what i was getting into when I bought a Ural, we are the R&D and sometimes QA departments...Sending rocker arms back to Washington, one of you all might end up with it (since I replaced the intake, not taking the new one back out. The old intake rocker is probably ok too, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, not putting it back.)... Motor sounds so much better than it did, even when new. Thought my alternator whine was worse than most at Crap, now I know why. Quieter than most now, I like it! Engine made June 2011, in case you all are curious...

IMWA and URAL NE (Jason and Thiago individually) helped immensely when we all thought it sounded like rocker arms, until noise got worse, and noise started sounding like it was coming from the base of the cylinders and not the top end. Tried to get in touch with nearest dealer as problem got out of my league, to have them work on her, no go. Would not even return Jason's call and emailing them is simply a joke. Don't get it, been a customer of theirs with another brand almost 20 years! Am no longer, hope real locals to them have a better experience. Thiago suggested Holopaw Gene, Jason agreed, so did I. Had to drive 800 miles to drop her off (round trip) and another 800 miles to bring her home (a couple hundred dollars in gas, money well spent IMHO and hope to ride the same trip for HUG in November!), but she sure sounds sweet now and runs really good! Even the exhaust note sounds better!

Also noticed Gene's handiwork on seat mounts, and got one (already had stock mount with double rubber, HD seat and t-bar), so the Kongs (dog toys as springs) are all but gone now! May have to put one on the back tab or have it removed so my fender does get nailed by it. That would be ugly...and the metal Gene uses on his bracket (had to drill some holes) is a helluva lot tougher than what HD or IMZ uses on their seat mounts. I need new drill bits!

Also got a nice aluminum shifter knob to replace the stock one (1) that flew off in its entirety, (2) my home built, and the replacement stock knob (3) whose wood knob went bye-bye but the insert stayed, all since October 2011, still have the home built, somewhere. Hell yes the new one is lock-tited on!

Pictures later Sunday...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Re: 2011 Retro -Bad Bearings, bye kongs, shifter knob number

Postby MartyL » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 am

Good to hear you got things sorted out. Holopaw Gene is da man! :cheers:
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 am

:clap:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:57 pm

and now the offending fender threatening tab on the back of the t-bar is history! I like it! Still no pictures, was having too much fun with the hack saw, a workmate bench, a clamp and a couple of vice grips to take any...I should have videoed it...Rode her a couple of hundred clicks today and all I can say is :D
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”