Compression?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.

Compression?

Postby BeemerlessBob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 pm

My '06 patrol was crapping out after the engine got hot at high altitudes.

The right cylinder would backfire, fart and sputter until the engine died. After cool down, I could go again.

Got the ol' girl home and did a compression test.

Left cyclinder = 72 psi
right cyclinder = 110 psi

So I assume that means that I prolly have a bad ring on the left side, that correct? But it was the right site that was doing all the complaining. Does that sound right.

What compression should I expect? I note that on other threads, they were talking about reading of 120 - 125 psi. Does that mean that there is something wrong with the right cylinder as well or is 110 acceptable reading for an '06?
Adventures and Misadventures bog: http://www.BeemerBob.com

2014 Gear Up (The Grey Goose)

Modifications:
founding member of the "Let it Be" support group.
BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Compression?

Postby URAL CT » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:00 pm

BeemerBob wrote:My '06 patrol was crapping out after the engine got hot at high altitudes.
The right cylinder would backfire, fart and sputter until the engine died. After cool down, I could go again.

...sounds like a defective coil. May have a crack. I know you have a P/A...check connections too. The motor may be overheating. hope you ain't luggin' the engine going up those high altitude "hills".
BeemerBob wrote:Got the ol' girl home and did a compression test.
Left cyclinder = 72 psi
right cyclinder = 110 psi

...drop a spoon full of oil in the offending cyl. & take a compression reading again. If compression goes up...rings would be a suspect.
CT
2007 Patrol
URAL CT
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby rougaroo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Don't just assume rings until you check other things as well. My first guess under the conditions you describe would be a sticky or burnt valve. Before you start disassembling, check the head bolt torques and then the valve clearances, just to be sure.

The oil trick is good to check compression differences, again without disassembling. The PA coils are real good, so that wouldn't be my first suspicion.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress
rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2014

Postby BeemerlessBob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:55 pm

OK, tried the spoon full of oil thing and got some improvement is compression
Left 89
Right 120

Checked head torque and all bolts were within 30 to 35

When I first started having this problem, adjusting the valves was the first thing I did. The exhaust on both sides was still at .004 but the intake on both sides were tight (less that .002), so I adjusted all to within spec (.002 - .004)

Anything other easy checks before I pull heads?

And Oh, what is the standard compression supposed to be?

Modifications:
BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby rivers » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 pm

With a wet compression test follow up after a dry test and the compression came up, that's telling you the added oil is sealing your worn rings. Unless you're running an old multi cyl farm truck I'm not a big fan of just overhauling the one weak cyl. I like having both sides working equal. You want all cylinders w/in 10%. Plus it's better/easier/cheaper to do both jugs now in your garage than to just do one now and 6 months later doing the other one in a motel parking lot. Can't help with what comp should be on a new/fresh motor. Prolly have to call your dealer on that. I don't suspect even new would be much if any over 135 or so. If both your jugs were running at 120 I wouldn't worry about it till you really lose power or you're mosquito fogging the neighborhood.
Keep in mind whether you overhaul one jug or both you'll have to go through the break-in drill again till the new rings are fully seated. In any case plan on going inside.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost, but I'm making good time"
rivers

Postby isldtime » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Don't make the same mistake I did.
Do your compression test at WOT !!
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada
isldtime

Postby BeemerlessBob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 pm

isldtime wrote:Don't make the same mistake I did.

WOT?

Modifications:
BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby URAL CT » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Hey Bob,
Do the easy checks first, like what rugaroo said. Just because you gapped the valves doesn't mean there is not a problem with 'em. Had a small metal chip lodge onto one of the valves of my 72 Beemer, same symptoms. If you pull the heads out do the leak test on it. Pull side that's showing a defect first. Also I'm concerned about the piston not matching the original letter stamp. Dunno if that has any bearing on the issue. I've always replaced pistons with the same size designation. Or I have the cylinder machined to fit the piston per spec. Dunno!
Call me if you have any questions. Good luck, bud.
Charlie T
CT
2007 Patrol
URAL CT
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby isldtime » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:01 pm

BeemerBob wrote:
isldtime wrote:Don't make the same mistake I did.

WOT?

Wide Open Throttle
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada
isldtime

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm

URAL CT wrote:Hey Bob,
Do the easy checks first, like what rugaroo said. Just because you gapped the valves doesn't mean there is not a problem with 'em. Had a small metal chip lodge onto one of the valves of my 72 Beemer, same symptoms. If you pull the heads out do the leak test on it. Pull side that's showing a defect first. Also I'm concerned about the piston not matching the original letter stamp. Dunno if that has any bearing on the issue. I've always replaced pistons with the same size designation. Or I have the cylinder machined to fit the piston per spec. Dunno!
Call me if you have any questions. Good luck, bud.
Charlie T

what he said... check your valves first
2006 Tourist
K&N Air Filter
40 pilot jets/128 main jets

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby BeemerlessBob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Ok, time to get greasy. I'll let you know my progress.
Thanks guys.

Modifications:
BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby rougaroo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:38 pm

There's another test you can do before tearing into it, if you have the equipment or can borrow it. It's called a "cylinder leak down test". Basically you put a cylinder at TDC, then pump air into it through the spark plug hole up to the rated compression pressure. To do it you need an adapter that screws into the spark plug hole just like the compression tester (sometimes you can get one tester that does both. Most times you can *hear* where it is leaking when you do this.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress
rougaroo

Postby URAL CT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Hey Bob,
If you were checking the compression & NOT at wide open throttle (WOT), you may want to recheck so you get a proper compression reading, befor you do anything else. Do what someone mentioned here to check compression at WOT, you may not have compression issues, may be electrical. Good luck!
CT
2007 Patrol
URAL CT
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby BeemerlessBob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Too late. I got up early this morning so I could work in the garage before it got hot.

I removed both heads and jugs. The pistons look OK and there does not appear to be any scoring on cylinder walls.

Nothing stuck in the valves that I could see. I put spark plugs back in and filled the head cavity with gas and after about 15 min, the level had gone down about 1/4 inch on one head and about 1/8 inch on the other head. So, I assume some leakage?

I turned both heads into a machine shop to have the valves reseated. ($50 a head)

Upon examination of rings, I could not see any breaks or damage. I decided that as long as I have torn down, I should replace rings anyway. So I ordered rings and a new set of gaskets.

I guess now I wait until rings come in and put everything back together.

Modifications:
BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby JohnBG » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 am

If you have the heads off, here's an easy way to check for valve leaks:

John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
History: '98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson
JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Next

Return to General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)