New 2012 Ural Patrol... towed back to dealer in under 2 hrs

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Dachary
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Dachary » Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 pm

I was very excited to pick up our new 2012 Ural Patrol this afternoon!

Proud New Owners by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

About to set off by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

Neutral light wouldn't come on in the parking lot, but the service coordinator told us to make note of it for the 500k service and they'd adjust it then.

Less than 10k down the road, it was dying when idling at stop lights. At 10k, I pulled into a parking lot and we called the dealer, who walked us through adjusting the idle screws on the carb. (Was duly impressed with the size of the Ural stock toolkit - WAY bigger than our BMW stock toolkits.)

Adjusted about 1/4 turn and it was idling properly again, so back on our way.

Within another 5-10k, it was dying at idle again. We were in traffic and on a time constraint (had to get a rental car back) so I opted not to stop to adjust the idle screw again - I just gave it a little throttle while we were stopped at lights. A little bit later, the SO peeled off in the rental car to try to get it back on time, and I was sick of holding the throttle and clutch (since I could never tell when it was in neutral and had trouble getting it to go in when I futzed around) so I opted to pull over and adjust the idle screws again. I did several 1/4 turns until it would finally idle without dying. All told, probably 1-1.5 turns. (In addition to the 1/4 turn the SO did initially.) I did have to give it throttle to get it to start - starter alone would turn it over but not catch.

Off on my merry way again, and within just a few ks, it wanted to die at idle again.

Also, I was noticing problems with power under throttle. I could give it quite a bit of throttle and not really get much response for 3-5 seconds and then it would sort of "wind up" and suddenly I'd get a lot of torque. It was definitely different than on first picking up the bike. This was happening intermittently, at first, but then more and more frequently when starting from a stop.

I decided at this point not to stop and try to adjust the idle screws again, but to rather get home and try troubleshooting the problem in more depth. So I was in a bit of stop-and-go traffic and having to hold the throttle open a bit at stop to keep it from dying when idling. After a bit of this, I heard a soft whistle sound - kinda like air deflating from a balloon - and then a bunch of smoke started pouring off the left side of the bike. No liquid was spewing and I couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from, so I pulled up a bit and into an illegal spot half on a sidewalk. Saw this when I got off the bike.

Breather tube melted by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

Context for breather tube failure by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

I wasn't sure exactly what the purpose of that hose was, but I wasn't about to ride around like that without finding out. So I manhandled it into a parking spot on a side street (this was a very busy area - Harvard Square, in Cambridge, if any of you are familiar with the Boston region) and got a lot of UDF while waiting for the tow truck to take it back to the dealer.

And then there was the towing by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

So there we have it - my beautiful new Ural Patrol dead on the side of the road, towed back to the dealer - just 2.5 miles from home! Cry! (Between 40-50km from the dealer - I forgot to look at the ODO before it was towed.)

Any idea what these symptoms are, guys? Does this sound like a dealer setup issue, or a component failure that can't be blamed on anyone? (I'm pretty sure it wasn't user error, as I was babying it pretty good - mostly 30MPH or under, with a couple of short stretches at 40MPH but for a minute or less. Unless I seriously screwed something up when adjusting the carb idle screws?)
2012 Ural Patrol - "Stravinsky"
2007 BMW F650GS
Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia 2010-2011
Ain't No Pillion - Motorcycle Blog

tiltman
Party Member
Party Member

Re: New 2012 Ural Patrol... towed back to dealer in under 2

Postby tiltman » Thu May 17, 2012 11:48 pm

So, Raceway Services delivered the bike on Saturday. Kurt, the gentleman who delivered it, showed me the bike and went over everything with me. I took it out for a spin and after going a few blocks it suddenly died in a right hand turn...the lights were still on, horn worked but it would not start. I halfhassed tried to kick start it (in the rain) but nothing. I pushed it home. The guy looked at it and changed one of the fuses - said it might have gotten moisture during shipping, etc. So I took off again and went a few blocks and again...it died in a right hand turn. Would not start. Pushed it home again. He took the bike back and said they would figure out what was wrong with it.
Jim from Raceway called me later that afternoon and said that it was the right turn signal that was bad. They fixed the problem and should be delivering it late this afternoon.
Hopefully all will go well and I'll be posting pictures soon.

oh, p*&^%...I feel your pain. That's my adventures starting last year with my new rig. Got it sorted out fairly quickly, couple of minor things after that. Now I just passed over 5,000 km's and it's running well.
Good luck, I'm sure it will get all sorted out.

Kirk
2011 Ural "T"

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 am

The idle can take a bit of fiddling the first 500-1000 km before it settles in.
The melted breather elbow??? thats just weird, can't even imagine what would cause that or how it would happen.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol, 2018 M70
Wind-Mill MK-III aircleaner conversion,
Custom foam filter element,
42/135 jets,
OE needles, 2 shims,
air screws at 5.03 "Hg,
Ural European performance exhaust (cats intact).
Spin on filter conversion,

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Ragman » Fri May 18, 2012 1:42 am

for the casing to get hot enough to melt plastic, something had to be creating a lot of friction. Like a lack of lubrication.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

Paindoc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Paindoc » Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 am

Ragman wrote:for the casing to get hot enough to melt plastic, something had to be creating a lot of friction. Like a lack of lubrication.

I was just thinking someone forgot to put oil in the engine!
2007 Arctic Camo Gear-Up

ReCycled
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby ReCycled » Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 am

Paindoc wrote:
Ragman wrote:for the casing to get hot enough to melt plastic, something had to be creating a lot of friction. Like a lack of lubrication.

I was just thinking someone forgot to put oil in the engine!

x3 A soft seize would explain a LOT of idle screw turn in too.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

Navy Chief
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Navy Chief » Fri May 18, 2012 8:21 am

Reading through the symptoms and thinking about it, a lack of lubrication fits what happened. And is the only way I can see the casing getting hot enough to melt the breather.
2011 Gear Up Gobi

Dachary
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Dachary » Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 am

Would definitely make sense in terms of the engine heat. I did notice toward the end that my right foot was getting pretty hot and started moving it up on top of the sidecar frame at stoplights. But having never driven a bike with an engine remotely resembling this one, I wasn't sure if that was abnormal in stop-and-go city traffic. (My other bike is liquid-cooled so I wasn't sure how much of the heat was the air-cooled nature of this beast and the fact that I was stuck in traffic.)

I don't think the engine would have run that long with no lubrication if someone had "forgotten" to put in oil. Maybe just not enough oil? I can't really think of another explanation for enough lubrication to run an engine but not enough to run it well/prevent this kind of heat buildup.

Dealer has acknowledged the bike was there this morning, so that's good. I'll let y'all know what the official diagnosis is when I find out. At least I have a story about my new bike ;) (Was great fun to ride before it started dying/having power issues!)
2007 BMW F650GS

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 am

I also am guessing that someone forgot to fill the engine with oil - or under filled it. Nothing else I know could melt the breather elbow! WOW! I know mistakes happen , but you would think there would have been an opportunity to double check or show the customer how to check oil or something. It will be interesting to hear the explanation!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 am

Dachary wrote:Would definitely make sense in terms of the engine heat. I did notice toward the end that my right foot was getting pretty hot and started moving it up on top of the sidecar frame at stoplights. But having never driven a bike with an engine remotely resembling this one, I wasn't sure if that was abnormal in stop-and-go city traffic. (My other bike is liquid-cooled so I wasn't sure how much of the heat was the air-cooled nature of this beast and the fact that I was stuck in traffic.)

I don't think the engine would have run that long with no lubrication if someone had "forgotten" to put in oil. Maybe just not enough oil? I can't really think of another explanation for enough lubrication to run an engine but not enough to run it well/prevent this kind of heat buildup.

Dealer has acknowledged the bike was there this morning, so that's good. I'll let y'all know what the official diagnosis is when I find out. At least I have a story about my new bike ;) (Was great fun to ride before it started dying/having power issues!)

Are you confident that if the oil level wasn't correct the dealer would admit to that? He'd be on the hook for a new engine, not IMZ-Ural.

Anybody thought about the breather piece under the timing cover not being installed correctly or maybe not installed at all? Not sure what symptoms you would see, but ifn an engine isn't venting properly, i would think increased heat would be one symptom. Just a thunk.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

pjarmstrongaz
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby pjarmstrongaz » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 am

Could it be a picnhed hose or some kind of trouble with the choke?
Pam
2007 Gear Up "SHREK"
2012 CSC Military 150 Camo

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am

I am willing to bet that Dmitry has been talking loudly in Russian to at least one member of his staff about this one...ouch, have a feeling that is gonna be a pricey fix, on someone other than Dachary... So very glad Ted set mine up, and even checked the oil before I road off on her...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Dachary
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Dachary » Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am

Coluralado wrote:Are you confident that if the oil level wasn't correct the dealer would admit to that? He'd be on the hook for a new engine, not IMZ-Ural.

Not sure. I get a good vibe from the owner. He seems to know the bikes fairly well, and seems to care about his customers. Not as sure about the service coordinator. I don't get as good of a vibe from him, although maybe its just my perception because I don't like the prices he quotes me for stuff. ($350 for 500km service. $500-600 for reverse shift kit installed. His prices just seem high, and I'm definitely not happy about that.)

When they were assembling my bike, I got to go back to the shop and meet the tech. He seemed like a good guy. They had 14 crates containing Urals waiting to be assembled! So I could see some minor details not getting the attention they should with the pressure to assemble so many bikes. (Hence the neutral light not working.)

But not filling it to the proper oil level? That seems pretty basic.

(That being said, I did think about checking the tire pressures before riding off - I do tires every day on my BMW, and I'd do oil, too, on the Ural - Used to do it on the Beemer but it never burns oil. But I thought "The dealer has JUST set this up. Surely it's correct." Did test that it would go into reverse/2WD properly, checked brake function and lights/turn signals. I guess I should have done my normal full check. Next time I'll listen to my instincts!)
2007 BMW F650GS

Jimmy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Jimmy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:19 am

I'm thinking its a problem with the oil, too
Unless there was something drastically wrong with the engine
but, that would have been immediately noticed
2006 Tourist
K&N Air Filter
40 pilot jets/128 main jets

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
- Mark Twain

bokad
Party Member
Party Member
Location: Australia, Laos, China, Russia, Colombia, Scotland, Dubai, + 8 more in the last 12 months

Postby bokad » Fri May 18, 2012 10:54 am

Sorry to hear that. You seem pretty calm about it!
Eagerly awaiting the outcome!
Currently traversing Indonesia by Ural - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786099
2010 Ural Patrol "ужасный" (Uzhasniy)
2012 Ural M70 Retro Solo

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”