Speedometer gear stripped

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
BudK
Comrade
Comrade

Speedometer gear stripped

Postby BudK » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I just got back this week from a very nice ride in Death Valley..Ride Report at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21630

The T ran fine all the time except that I lost the speedometer gear on a long climb. The speedometer went into wild fluctuations (much more than "normal" :D) and then quit completely.

After my return, I pulled the cable and found it to be OK and then checked the gear after removing cable and collar at the gear box, took out the gear with a magnet and saw how it was badly stripped and was not contacting the worm splines on the yoke shaft that goes back into the flex coupling.

After reviewing several other postings on this same problem (Thanks, Steeds), I wonder what the cause/causes might be... seems a poor way to run a speedometer cable that has too many bends from gear box to speedometer. Poor metal in gears??

The fix is rather simple but time consuming (for me) and since the T is still in warranty, I called Logan and he agreed to take care of it.

Seems other's failures have occurred around 10000 km as well... There should be a better way to drive the speedometer! :?
Bud K

2011 Ural T
2013 Honda NC700XD

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: Speedometer gear stripped

Postby cdscoot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

It has not beeen a major problem. I and a couple of others have experienced the variable Russian metallurgy . Hopefully it won't happen again for a while. Was not a major repair, just time consuming.
Last edited by cdscoot on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

gremlin96
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby gremlin96 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 pm

gps, will do speed. my garman can be set up to show speed only.
750cc 2005 patrol

guzzidude
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby guzzidude » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 pm

If it makes you feel any better, my 20 y/o Beamer's speedometer has a twitch that cannot be tracked down. My two shiny lincolns... I'd re-cable it with a product made by a local shop or a reputable cable maker. Just good material.
MT11 - Honda VFR... R.I.P.: R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, TS400, Guzzi V11Sport, VStar1100, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc

pidgey
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby pidgey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 pm

My 2010 Patrol is in the shop right now for the same (warranty) issue. Mine gave out at 8K.
2005 BMW K1200S with Hannigan SuperSport chair
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
2010 Patrol (the lemon) SOLD

BudK
Comrade
Comrade

Postby BudK » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:41 am

gremlin96 wrote:gps, will do speed. my garman can be set up to show speed only.

Right Gremlin... I use my Zumo 550 for speedo/odometer... But...there needs to be a better way.. current system is not reliable, nor accurate..... YES, I know it's a Ural...but it could be better?? :? :D
Bud K

2011 Ural T
2013 Honda NC700XD

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 am

BudK wrote:
gremlin96 wrote:gps, will do speed. my garman can be set up to show speed only.

Right Gremlin... I use my Zumo 550 for speedo/odometer... But...there needs to be a better way.. current system is not reliable, nor accurate..... YES, I know it's a Ural...but it could be better?? :? :D

Well ....if you are gonna start askin questions like that !...... :roll:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

AirheadPaddy

Postby AirheadPaddy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Lost mine also at about 5,000km. Using Zumo also but sure liked the odometer as a fuel gauge and milage recorder. I do use the gauge in the Zumo now.
How difficult is the replacement?
''09 Patrol (Maruska),03 BMW GSA
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it on something solid"
G.K. Chesterton

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 am

It is a simple repair. Look at the MYural.com site. Check both gears for wear before you order parts. If the output fork on the back of the trans is worn at all get both gears. The hardest part is getting the castellated nut off the out put shaft. I understand they are using nylock nut on this now. If so get one of those also.
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

BudK
Comrade
Comrade

Postby BudK » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:34 pm

I would love to do it myself, but, since it is still under warranty and the dealer is only 30 miles away.. I'll have them do it..
Hadn't heard about the Nylock nut on the output shaft, CD... will report back after fix!
Bud K

2011 Ural T
2013 Honda NC700XD

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:00 pm

:roll: you lucky guys with dealers right next door!
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Ruidoso Ron
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Ruidoso Ron » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Mine has now failed twice in 15,000 km. First time it was in warranty, and Logan took care of it, as well. Now it's gone again, and I am out of warranty, and a day's drive from a service center. I bought the flex coupling, speedometer drive gear and seal (as well as a spare doughnut), and plan to repair it myself. So far, have pulled the F/D and drive shaft. Is it possible to remove the flex coupling without pulling the gearbox out. The doughnut is a very tight fit, between the flex coupling and the swing arm. Any advice?
Driving down the highway of life with my left turn signal on.
Ron Massey
'11 Ural GU Gobi
'08 KLR 650
'71 Triumph T120RV
'71 Honda SL125
'80 Honda CM400T

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Ruidoso Ron wrote:Mine has now failed twice in 15,000 km. First time it was in warranty, and Logan took care of it, as well. Now it's gone again, and I am out of warranty, and a day's drive from a service center. I bought the flex coupling, speedometer drive gear and seal (as well as a spare doughnut), and plan to repair it myself. So far, have pulled the F/D and drive shaft. Is it possible to remove the flex coupling without pulling the gearbox out. The doughnut is a very tight fit, between the flex coupling and the swing arm. Any advice?

Pull the swing arm.there are some who say that the donut CAN be removed without doing that but to get the fork at the rear of the tranny out it will be a lot easier to have the room.
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Ruidoso Ron
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Ruidoso Ron » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Craig! That was going to be my next guess.
Driving down the highway of life with my left turn signal on.
Ron Massey
'11 Ural GU Gobi
'08 KLR 650
'71 Triumph T120RV
'71 Honda SL125
'80 Honda CM400T

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Ruidoso Ron wrote:Thanks Craig! That was going to be my next guess.

Yours may have a nylock nut holding the fork on the tranny shaft. I think 11 was the first year for that but not sure. Mine had a castellated nut down in a recess with a cotter pin through it. It took more time to get that cotter pin out and replace than the whole job otherwise ! I would get the nylock nut for replace if you don't have it already. When you have the swingarm off good opportunity to lube the swing arm bushings and bolt to keep it from corroding . there are bearings in the frame too.
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”