Fuel Delivery-Petcock?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
kneedrachen
Comrade
Comrade

Fuel Delivery-Petcock?

Postby kneedrachen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 am

Morning All,

2 weeks ago, took the 2011 Patrol out for a long ride and ended up running incredibly low on fuel. Filled up and rode the remaing 20 some odd miles back to the Fortress of Fun.

Started up this morning, no problem. When I went to give some throttle, and let the clutch out, the bike died. Fired back up a few times, same thing, except it wouldn't idle veyr long. When the petcock is in the prime position, it will idle, but even WFO, I can't even get above 15 mph. I turned back around to the FoF and the bike sounds "strangled", as if it is being restricted.

I can't get much of an idle nor can I give any throttle in the "run" position, but can in the "prime" position.

This leads me to believe it is a fuel delivery issue and most likely the petcock. I'll postulate that since I ran low on fuel, a bunch of cr@p in the bottom of the tank is in the petcock, or when I bought fuel, there was garbagein there from the sediment in the undergroun tank.

All fuel lines appear in decent shape, all fluids are full, both heads heat up the same, equal exhaust pulses, etc. Is my train of thought logical?

Jdsova
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Fuel Delivery-Petcock?

Postby Jdsova » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:34 am

Me thinks that there is a problem with the vacuum petcocks on the 2011 model.. there was a thread a whiles back on this. Mine(carb blowing off) turn out to be the petcock and the right (car) side valve adjustment (came loose). Petcock was replace free of charge from my dealer. Probly a EPA thing to get em in country...

I'm used to an old non petcock bike, so I went that route with my bike and never looked back. (I have the new vacuum petcock in a storage bag). The poping and farting (what little I had)I attribute to that petcock. To date, I haven't had to use my enrichers but once since then.. and I run stock jets...
later

Edit--I'm used to an old non petcock bike ....should of said...............-I'm used to an old non vacuum petcock bike
Last edited by Jdsova on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Sova
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
[*]2014 BMW K1600GTL-E-[*] 2014 2WD Ural Red/October GU-[*]
Past mistresses 2 Urals + 9 previous 2w bikes Marion, Iowa

kneedrachen
Comrade
Comrade

Postby kneedrachen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:29 am

How do you control fuel flow without a petcock? I've had bikes that had simple on/off, on/off/reserve and on/off/prime and on/prime/reserve.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 am

You could pull your petcock, clean it, and check all your fuel lines including your crossover. If you don't want your vacuum petcock, get a Yamaha manual one. The write up is on this forum. While your doing this it wouldn't hurt to drain your carb float bowls. Do this outside with plenty of ventilation and have a fire extinguisher near by. Safety first.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

kneedrachen
Comrade
Comrade

Postby kneedrachen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 am

Marty,

That was my plan for the weekend,I've been searching and have not seen anything about problems with the 2011 petcocks :?

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Ragman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 pm

My 2011 petcock did the same thing last month - it clogged up with gunk inside the tank, and even when cleaned it didn't deliver the fuel properly.. Changed it for the Yamaha 2GU2-24500-02 have had no problem since.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

kneedrachen
Comrade
Comrade

Postby kneedrachen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm

I appreciate the reply, this may be the route I take. I'll do a search for the thread now. I called the MD Ural dealer, it looks like he doesn't want the work because I didn't buy the bike from him (I lived in NJ!).

Whatever, shame IMWA has to deal with people like this; it gives the Ural community a bad name.

pidgey
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby pidgey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 pm

kneedrachen wrote:I appreciate the reply, this may be the route I take. I'll do a search for the thread now. I called the MD Ural dealer, it looks like he doesn't want the work because I didn't buy the bike from him (I lived in NJ!).

Whatever, shame IMWA has to deal with people like this; it gives the Ural community a bad name.

DIY, real easy to do. If I can do this job myself anyone can. :wink: Follow the instructions in the write -up. You can go with the 2GU cheaper, non chrome petcock if ya want.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=326

YAMAHA FUEL PETCOCK ASSEMBLY

YAMAHA OEM # 2GU-24500-02-00, 2GU-24500-01-00

FITS THE FOLLOWING MODELS:

XVZ1300 ROYAL STAR 1996-1999
2005 BMW K1200S with Hannigan SuperSport chair
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
2010 Patrol (the lemon) SOLD

Jdsova
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Jdsova » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:54 am

kneedrachen wrote:How do you control fuel flow without a petcock? I've had bikes that had simple on/off, on/off/reserve and on/off/prime and on/prime/reserve.

Ooops your right, I stand corrected... I meant vacuum vs non vacuum where you have the on/ off/ res/ petcock on my post
J Sova
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
[*]2014 BMW K1600GTL-E-[*] 2014 2WD Ural Red/October GU-[*]
Past mistresses 2 Urals + 9 previous 2w bikes Marion, Iowa

Swordsman
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Swordsman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm

kneedrachen wrote:I appreciate the reply, this may be the route I take. I'll do a search for the thread now. I called the MD Ural dealer, it looks like he doesn't want the work because I didn't buy the bike from him (I lived in NJ!).

Yeah, I don't get that. They must sell the more popular bikes there as well, correct? I can't see any TRUE Ural dealer turning down work. Seems like the ones that get a bad name around here always tend to sell Urals as a side show.

~SM
2010 Ural T with all the trimmings!

"Nothing is boring when you're wearing armor." ~Maxim Magazine

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Just bought the 2GU model from my local Yamaha dealer, $25.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

kneedrachen
Comrade
Comrade

Postby kneedrachen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:40 am

Nope, Ural is there only game.

Took apart the petcock, not obstructed at all. Fired it back up, same deal. I did notice that the right side jug gets significantly hotter than the left side and it happens rather quickly. I think I heard almost like a pinging sound on the right side. Valve adjustment due? I'm at 1400km.

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”