D*&# Russian Rubber Donut

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Navy Chief
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

D*&# Russian Rubber Donut

Postby Navy Chief » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:28 pm

So there I was enjoying my ride home from work yesterday when the bike started having occasional weird vibrations, trying to figure out what it was I determined that it was speed related so it had to be something in the driveline. Pulled over and went over the bike, noticed that the flexible rubber donut coupling was breaking down; did not look too bad yet so I pushed on being gentle with power application and downshifting. Got about 20 or 30 km closer to home and the vibrations are getting worse, time to find a comfortable location to wait for the tow truck... Found a grocery store a few km later and pulled in, checked the coupler again and it is now toast... Called roadside assistance and arranged for a tow home and had dinner sitting in the parking lot waiting for them to show up, got towed home with no drama and Progressive covered the entire bill (yeah Progressive).

E-mailed Heindl about the failure and they are getting the new part out in the mail to me today, great customer service!. I am also ordering a spare as a reverse voodoo charm so the new one will never fail...

So anyways what the hell are they making these out of that it is completely shot after 4900km, are they cheese or what??? There has to be a better alternative to these things, how would one made of polyurethane hold up? They have been making suspension bushings out of this material for how many years?

Included pictures of the carnage below, since pics or it didn't happen.....

2011 Gear Up Gobi

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: D*&# Russian Rubber Donut

Postby gflapg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:35 pm

2011 Improvements

2. Transmission

New polymer material instead of rubber for flexible U-joint. The strength and durability of the coupler is increased due to using new polymers in place of the
original rubber. The new coupler is 40% stronger and can sustain heavy loads with minimum distortion.

Donut failure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

pidgey
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby pidgey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:48 pm

gflapg wrote:2011 Improvements

2. Transmission

New polymer material instead of rubber for flexible U-joint. The strength and durability of the coupler is increased due to using new polymers in place of the
original rubber. The new coupler is 40% stronger and can sustain heavy loads with minimum distortion.

Donut failure.jpg

That gizmo was meant to be on the 10's but isn't, at least not on mine. :-?
2005 BMW K1200S with Hannigan SuperSport chair
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
2010 Patrol (the lemon) SOLD

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gflapg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Not on mine either
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

Tarka
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Tarka » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I can`t help wondering what you guys with the frequent donut failures are getting up to in order to shred them.

My 650 has done 42,000 hard km on its original donut and likewise my 750 is at 24,000km on the original one too.
Achieving distance by letting the World turn beneath me.

650 Ural Roustabout combo yr 2000 (with Dnepr leading link front end)
750 Ural Dalesman combo yr 2004 (rare maroon/cream with blingola chrome)
Plus nine non Ural solo bikes.

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Tarka wrote:I can`t help wondering what you guys with the frequent donut failures are getting up to in order to shred them.

My 650 has done 42,000 hard km on its original donut and likewise my 750 is at 24,000km on the original one too.

Ah they just got all a the good rubbers in Britian!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Navy Chief
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Navy Chief » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Tarka wrote:I can`t help wondering what you guys with the frequent donut failures are getting up to in order to shred them.

I will trade you one and let you know how it holds up..... :cheers:
2011 Gear Up Gobi

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Like Tarka, I haven't had any problems with the donut. The original had some deformation at the holes so I replaced it with a new one a while back. I carry the old one as a spare cuz it's still serviceable, I also have a new one as a back up :) :P . Since then at every oil change as part of the maintenance, I spray some cleaner at the donut, rinse it off, then liberally spray silicone lubricant onto the holes where the fork pins engages the donut on the drive-shaft side & tranny side. If I do some off-roading (very seldom nowadays), I'd warsh the donut and lubricate it after the ride...1st chance I get. So far the donut on my rig looks good as new. it is a wear item, so checking and maintaining the donut just prolongs the replacement intervals & the "Oh Sheite" experience. I also spray silicone lubricant on all the rubber pieces I can see except the tires of course... :P FWIW :D
BTW, you can adjust the engagement gap by moving the clip on the drive-shaft at the FD end. You do not want the forks slamming against donut (too loose) and you do not want it too tight either. Good luck...
CT 8)
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:04 pm

My nut went bad @4k . I solved the problem, got a life time supply of original Russian donuts.
Ps. Donut will not last long if you r doing wheelie. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:18 pm

When you replace it buy two. I haven't had an issue with mine on the 06 or 011 but as mentioned it is a wear item. I carry a spare real rubber one, not that I'm worried about reliability or instant failure. It's just one of those parts that's easy to carry and cheaper to carry a spare than running up a motel bill waiting for one to get shipped.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Postby QBall » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Mine was bad at 50K when I replaced the clutch and I just tore down the rig at 66K for the tranny and I see wear and cracks on the new one allready.
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:27 pm

I have never had to replace on on either of the two Ural that I have owned.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby TheWildOne » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Gobium: re. "My nut went bad @4k . I solved the problem, got a life time supply of original Russian donuts."

Four thousand kilometers ? Wow. Mine's still just fine after about 8,000 k. And thanks again about the suggestion about mine. I'd apparently mis/re-located that clip Ural CT mentioned when I took out the tranny because of that early '07 xmission recall. It'd been hangin' on by about 1/2" for about 4,000 of those 8,000 kilometers. No apparent damage to it though - I finally got a round to fixing it a couple weeks ago.
Guess I got one of the 'good' donuts with mine, but had to replace the one on my '59 BMW R26 last year. It's odometer reads 93,000-something miles . . .

Ken (The) Wild (One)

P.S. - YOU're the only guy I know for whom fourteen of those may be not quite enough !

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:51 pm

I ride hard. Rubber(condom) when u needed u needed. One bang and it is all over. :lol:
Rubber is like wine, older the rubber/harder. New rubber too soft blow out easily. My theory.

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Thermos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Weird. I have almost 31,000KM on my '11 original donut. When I look at my donut, it looks fine(noticed no cracks). I've never cleaned or lubed my donut. I've ridden it hard, loaded down heavy(Monkey plus a hundred pounds or so with 2 windscreens) for 11,000+KM on a cross country trip, take it off road, and have even pulled an accidental wheelie...

Maybe some are made on a friday after their liquid lunch :beerchug: ?

I guess some results will vary greatly. I do carry a spare donut with me though(thanks Gobium)

-T
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
1977 R100S
1977 GL1000
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”