charging system problem continues

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
eeyore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

charging system problem continues

Postby eeyore » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Ok, so I have a new battery, about a week old and it looks like its starting to go dead again. I noticed when I started it up this morning that it turned over slow, so just kick-started it throughout the day. Decided to try to start it by starter only tonight and no go, after 2 attempts just about drained the battery, was able to kick-start it and it looks like the alt is working. Notice that when I rev the light get brighter in the higher rpms. I'm thinking it may be the relay, but not sure. I will call the dealer yet again, but want to see what the collective thinks.

Thanks in advance
2010 gear-up nato camo "Pasha"
2007 sportster 883 "blue beast"

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Re: charging system problem continues

Postby JohnBG » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Well the most important thing we need to know is the battery voltage. Drag out a voltmeter and check it, then start the rig again let it run a while or take it for a tide, shut it off again and take another reading, and post the results.

Could be a lot of things...

- Cold weather draining the battery.
- Short in the electrical system draining the battery
- Problem with negative battery terminal grounding to the frame
- problem with the starter
- problem with the alternator
- crappy battery

You can't even begin to diagnose a battery problem without a voltmeter.... :wink:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh no! :oops:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 pm

T. I really think you have a bad ground. Still in town finishing up a job. V

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 pm

gobium wrote:T. I really think you have a bad ground. Still in town finishing up a job. V

+1 on the bad ground (most likely). Check and make sure battery connections are clean & tight including the ground connection to the motor. Good luck...
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Check voltage of at battery with motor off and motor running. Post results.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

heindlengineeringural
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby heindlengineeringural » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:31 am

I would say that it is a bad ground as well. When we had this bike in the shop and replaced the battery, all was working well, so I would say that we have an intermittent electrical gremlin. The Alt was putting out the appropriate amount of charge at both idle and when @ higher RPM. Check the ground at the trans and at the upper motor mount.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
www.heindlengineering.com
sales@heindlengineering.com

Latguy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Latguy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 am

The good news is that the lights get brighter as you rev the engine: something is coming from the alternator! A voltmeter is what's needed to diagnose charging problems, as others have said. Check all yer connections, especially ground, and get a meter and report back. You're well on your way to getting this gremlin in the bag.
When the engine is running you want to see 14+ volts and with the engine off the meter should show 12+ volts at the battery.
'07 Gear Up Desert w/Modtops
'74 R90S w/SuperTrapps
'08 FLHP w/Sampson

edthetermite
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby edthetermite » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 am

[quote="JohnBG"]Well the most important thing we need to know is the battery voltage. Drag out a voltmeter and check it, then start the rig again let it run a while or take it for a tide, shut it off again and take another reading, and post the results.

Could be a lot of things...[quote="JohnBG"]

"Cold weather draining the battery." - Urban Myth

"While the engine is a bit more difficult to start in the winter, hot temperatures actually cause batteries to lose their charging capacity at a much faster rate - car batteries in warmer climates tend to only hold their charge two-thirds as long as colder climate batteries."

"Batteries do not make electricity; they store it. Therefore, a fully-discharged battery does not gain juice from the ether simply because of an increase in ambient temperature. That said, the myth that warming up a cold battery causes it to work better has some grounding in scientific fact. External cold has a distinct effect on a car battery’s ability to perform: At 80 degrees Fahrenheit, a battery is at its optimum; at 32 degrees, it can only supply two-thirds of that optimum; at 0 degrees, its performance is down to 40 percent. Partially discharged batteries that do not start an engine when extremely cold, therefore, may do so if they are warmed up."
Ed

"War Is A Dick Thing, Peace Is A Heart Thing"

edthetermite
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby edthetermite » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am

If your putting close to 14 volts into the battery with the charging system then the battery has what it takes to remain charged properly. As other posters suggested- check your ground(s). Nice and clean and tight.

A battery load tester is an essential tool to own. They will tell you if the battery still has the amps to get the job done.
Ed

"War Is A Dick Thing, Peace Is A Heart Thing"

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:31 am

T. I will be working in Hudson give me call let look at bike together. V

eeyore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby eeyore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 am

thanks for all the replies.

I will post my testing results. I have a multimeter (thanks Van) but not sure of it can test amps.
2010 gear-up nato camo "Pasha"
2007 sportster 883 "blue beast"

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

Just clean your ground connections. You should be good. Then test and post
You could just do the one bolt to trans. You rode your bike all last winter, salt got to connection, and the combinations of copper, metal strap and pot aluminum trans created a chemical reaction.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36 am

Oh, and other thing, according to some owner's manuel you should clamp your -neg black clamp to engine block when jump start vehicle better practice.
Thats way you can check for good ground. Any opinion out there....tell me if I m wrong.
My BMWs are set up that way.

Carl Hunt
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Carl Hunt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 pm

I think that the reason for clamping the neg cable to the block is to prevent creating a spark near the battery which in the worst case could cause a battery explosion.
I think that if the cables are connected to the batt/block and you have a battery ground cable connection problem the M/C batt will remain isolated.
The safest thing to do might be to perform a continuity check, with the M/C battery connected and ket off, from the batt neg post to the block and the other ground points and look for any lack of continuity..
Some thing else that might provide an indication of the problem would be to jump to the batt connection at the starter and the block and then perform the alt voltage tests and compare the readings.
Hope this helps.
Carl
Carl
2001 Patrol
2000 Knight with Bural R100

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”