Gas in Crankcase 2010 Patrol

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
bluepeterigging
Comrade
Comrade

Gas in Crankcase 2010 Patrol

Postby bluepeterigging » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Thought I could sort this out but.....
Vacuum petcock may be the culprit but it doesn't leak when hoses are removed from bike.
Removed carb and cleaned all jets and needles.
Fuel adjustment screw in front of carburetor 1.50 turns from seat.
Got it running, balanced idles, smelled gas, turned it off, checked dip stick= 2/3 gas 1/3 oil.
Do I get a free new vacuum petcock under warranty ?
Do I want another vacuum petcock?
Weather is great & need to RIDE!
Me glad I didn't go BOOM!

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Gas in Crankcase 2010 Patrol

Postby gflapg » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm

If your under warranty the first thing I'd do is call my dealer and let them sort it all out. If the petcock were accidentally set to prime it will run gas by gravity alone. But I'd call the dealer.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Drop the bottom of your carbs and check the floats. You may have junk in there causing them to hang up.

Bill

bluepeterigging
Comrade
Comrade

Postby bluepeterigging » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:12 pm

yep. Did that, but not 100% disassembly and cleaning.
Guess I'll do that again since I 'm not goin anywhere....
thanks

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 pm

If the floats are not seating their needles because of crap then it will go into the crank case, but usually only when you leave it on prime. Normally the long tail of the lever should point down.
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

bluepeterigging
Comrade
Comrade

Postby bluepeterigging » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Trust me. The bike was/is not on prime.
To clarify: With gas line disconnected and petcock to Prime = gas flows. Turned to Run, gas stops as it should.
So if petcock is working what else could cause the gas to flood out the cylinder?
Last edited by bluepeterigging on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:42 pm

Trust is good!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Scrap the vacuum petcock and get a manual one.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

deeve
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby deeve » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 am

Was it running when it filled with gas, or had it been sitting for a while? I don't know if it would work this way, but any chance you got the fuel supply hoses messed up with the vacuum hose?

DAVE
Dave
2014 Patrol picked up 10/08/2016

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:31 am

A good reason to always at least pump your kick starter before using your electric starter when cold.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

bluepeterigging
Comrade
Comrade

Postby bluepeterigging » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:57 am

The problem began while returning from a long ride. The bike started running a bit rough but I was almost home and I would have the next day saturday to tune it up.
The next day i kicked the engine over 3 times without the ignition (as always), turned the key and expected the engine to start 1st kick as it always does - it didn't. I smelled gas but thought it was flooded. Got it running, but badly. Smelled gas and then checked the oil. Drained and refilled. Took the plug out (outboard cylinder) turned the engine over to blow out the gas and started again - same result. Pulled the carb off and cleaned all the jets - put back on bike - same procedure same result. Changed out the oil and did the whole thing one more time. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. So now she sits patiently waiting for a solution. I'll call Gene on monday and probably order a manual petcock as right now I can't think of any other problem which could have caused this. I may switch the carbs and then restart - if the inboard one gets wet, then its a carb issue.....But then, that's where you guys come in....
thanks.

domorr

Postby domorr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:28 am

cdscoot is on track. i would check your needle and seats. how are your spark plugs? are they both wet? or just one cyl? (if one is wet carb on that side would be the culpret). could be a bad float. if the carb is working correctly it would not let fuel pass into the cyl. if you turn your carb upside down and hook a vacume gauge to it it should hold 5psi of pressure if needle and seat are working correctly. but not a test for the float.

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 am

Try taking your Russian air pump and put the small black needle nose on it and then stick it down in you vacum port. Pump it a couple of time and it might blow out any blockages. Do not think it is your petcock that is the problem, but I could be mistaken. Something is causing your needles to remain stuck open. Only thing I can think of.

Bill

bluepeterigging
Comrade
Comrade

Postby bluepeterigging » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 am

Ya. I just disassembled and checked the petcock diaphrams and function. Seems to work fine. So, I'm off to the carb again. Admit I don't really understand YET the needles operation but will use the air pump and try another tear down of outside carb. I'll focus on what cdscoot said as nothing else could cause this if the petcock is working.....
I love the smell of gas in the morning — the bike's that is.......
thanks guys...

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Postby S 854 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 am

A couple other things to check in the float bowl... is the float seat actually seated?

Are the float levels the same? I'm not sure the actual specifications for the float level but I'm sure someone will chime in here with the info...

This ain't a Ural carb... I'm thinking it looks more like the Bing from my /5... but they're basically the same principle...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”