Not a good start, and a contest!

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
truax
Party Member
Party Member

Not a good start, and a contest!

Postby truax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:50 am

I picked up my new Patrol T on Friday. I w@$#ed and w@*ed it Saturday (don't worry i plan to get it plenty dirty). Saturday afternoon, a beautiful fall day, leaves peaking with color and five kilometers into it maiden voyage -- I'm pushing the bike.

My Ural is stuck in 4th gear and it simply will not drop out of gear. The clutch works, insofar as I can roll the bike when the clutch lever is pulled, and the sift lever moves (up and down) but it simply won't come our of fourth. It clicks shifter clicks like it wants to and is downshifting, the gear just won't release.

I'll be taking it to the closest dealer (200 miles away) this week - assuming I can get the bike on their schedule. My original dealer is even further away. To say I am frustrated would be an understatement. I have tons of bikes, with tons of problem, but never has a bike broken down in the first 5 kilometers let alone 5 miles.

So, before I take in for repair, here is your chance play, "What's wrong with the Brian's Patrol T." To enter you have to be as specific as possible.

I'm guessing some metal shaving, casting fragment has gotten in the wrong place. See-- not a good guess -- too vague.. Remember I've had it less than 48 hours and have driven it less than 5 kilometers so my first hand experience is limited.

Here it is your chance to prove how much you know and to become King of the URals -- or at least mine.

I'll make sure to post the diagnosis when it becomes known to me. As I have yet to get the shop manual, i assume this is a -- pull the engine and get deep in the engine type of repair? I know my limits, and I think this is clearly beyond mine at this point.

So there you have it, guess away...
Truax
2010 Patrol T

Former Bikes: 2009 Suzuki V-Strom (DL1000), 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2006 Triumph Bonneville, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1982 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: Not a good start, and a contest!

Postby cdscoot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Well that sure sucks! How about put it in gear and rock it back and forth a little whilse keeping a little pressure on the shifter? Other than that -others will give advise! :cheers:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

truax
Party Member
Party Member

Postby truax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:52 pm

cdscoot wrote:Well that sure sucks! How about put it in gear and rock it back and forth a little whilse keeping a little pressure on the shifter? Other than that -others will give advise! :cheers:

I tried that -- no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Even though it just had come from the dealer, I checked and fluids are correct all around.
Truax
2010 Patrol T

Former Bikes: 2009 Suzuki V-Strom (DL1000), 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2006 Triumph Bonneville, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1982 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:04 pm

The shift lever is actually turning the shift shaft? Not loose or stripped? On another idea- how much thread shows on the bolt with the wire attached down by the reverse shifter? Does the neutral indicator light work when you were in neutral? Is the reverse lever in the foreword position?
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Sounds like the shifter paw spring broke, probably the spring was bad which would explain why it failed so quickly. Another possibility could be the shifter quadrant broke free, but I'm guessing the spring is at fault here.

truax wrote:
I'll make sure to post the diagnosis when it becomes known to me. As I have yet to get the shop manual, i assume this is a -- pull the engine and get deep in the engine type of repair? I know my limits, and I think this is clearly beyond mine at this point.

Actually the transmission is separate and can be removed without removing the engine. It is is very easy to work on http://www.myural.com/Gearbox%20Disasse ... sembly.htm , but at 5km You should make full use of the warranty.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol, 2018 M70
Wind-Mill MK-III aircleaner conversion,
Custom foam filter element,
42/135 jets,
OE needles, 2 shims,
air screws at 5.03 "Hg,
Ural European performance exhaust (cats intact).
Spin on filter conversion,

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Just for grins, pull in the clutch and try to engage and unengage the reverse lever. Don't lose heart.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

truax
Party Member
Party Member

Postby truax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:23 pm

MartyL wrote:Just for grins, pull in the clutch and try to engage and unengage the reverse lever. Don't lose heart.

I tried that too. Good idea though.

Looks like it's going in Wednesday.
Truax
2010 Patrol T

tiltman
Party Member
Party Member

Postby tiltman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:47 pm

I feel your pain. When they delivered my Tourist "T" in late June I rode it a few blocks and it died...pushed it home and the delivery guy replaced a fuse. Drove a few blocks and it died...pushed it home and the delivery guy took it back and they sorted it out back at the shop (bad signal light in the hack kept blowing fuses). Then I had to wait again for another delivery - waiting sucks. I'm over 3200 km and (knock on wood) she's running well.
Everyone says that IMWA stands behind their product and that they'll get it sorted out. But, the waiting is the hardest part. (tom petty had that right)

Kirk
2011 Ural "T"

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Thermos » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Dude, that is a bummer! :( Hope it gets sorted out sooner than later. I won't even venture a guess, as this must be agony :brickwall:
-Tom
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
1977 R100S
1977 GL1000
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

Postby Darkblood » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Bummer......Try a bigger hammer. :D
I agree it's probably the spring. I've had mine get stuck in the false neutral between 3 and 4 a few times but I just kick the lever harder and it pops into gear. I'm assuming you've tried to kick the heal like you were up shifting to make sure it's not partially engaged into 4th. Occasionally mine won't down shift until I kick the heal to upshift and release tension then she downshifts fine. Noticed this mostly when she was new and still cutting in the gears it's much better now at about 9,000km.
Also have you tried to shift it without using the clutch with the engine off of course?
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Darkblood wrote:Bummer......Try a bigger hammer. :D
I agree it's probably the spring. I've had mine get stuck in the false neutral between 3 and 4 a few times but I just kick the lever harder and it pops into gear. I'm assuming you've tried to kick the heal like you were up shifting to make sure it's not partially engaged into 4th. Occasionally mine won't down shift until I kick the heal to upshift and release tension then she downshifts fine. Noticed this mostly when she was new and still cutting in the gears it's much better now at about 9,000km.
Also have you tried to shift it without using the clutch with the engine off of course?

Man how did yours get so screwed up? You're still under warrantee, better get it taken care of!
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

VWK75S
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby VWK75S » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:16 pm

cdscoot wrote:Man how did yours get so screwed up?

Craig,
You haven’t met Mike yet. :lol:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 130,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Darkblood » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:35 pm

VWK75S wrote:

Craig,
John

Ride it like you stole it! :wink:
Also Have you seen these roads? :lol:
My windshield cracked today when I hit a bump. Drilled a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading and 5 minute epoxi and it's all good... :D

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby cdscoot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Darkblood wrote:
VWK75S wrote:

Craig,
John

My windshield cracked today when I hit a bump. Drilled a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading and 5 minute epoxi and it's all good... :D

Yes - I am still recovering from those roads since August! My back and kidneys may never be the same! :shock: :lol: I should have been on the dirt instead !
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Darkblood » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:47 pm

cdscoot wrote:
Darkblood wrote:
VWK75S wrote:

Craig,
John

Yes - I am still recovering from those roads since August! My back and kidneys may never be the same! :shock: :lol: I should have been on the dirt instead !

Then you know why the parts keep falling off. :lol:

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”