Ever boil your brake fluid?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
carrsgarage
Party Member
Party Member

Ever boil your brake fluid?

Postby carrsgarage » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:10 am

I was feeling adventurous this past Saturday and took what looked to be a nice pleasant dirt farm road. Well, the road narrowed up and started to head downhill, and before I knew it my girlfriend and I (she was in the hack) were heading down more of a creek bed than a road. Rocky as all get out and STEEP! The brakes felt a little firm as I was heading down - low gear didn't do much to help slow me - but we made it down alright. It was really a lot of fun until I went to slow down for the stop sign at the end of the road and found that I had no front brakes!

We pulled over to the side of the road and I let it cool down for a while. I started getting tyhe front brake back, so I headed back out on the road and within a few miles it had cooled to the point that the brakes were back to where they had been.

I got home and changed out the fluid to DOT 4.

This ever happen to anyone else, and what can I do to avoid this in the future (other than to stay off that road).
2006 GearUp
Krytoxed Alternator Adaptor Bearings
130 Main
45 Idle
Time-Serted Head Studs

JamesG
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Ever boil your brake fluid?

Postby JamesG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:46 am

Washout from the "hurricane"?

You had fade from all three brakes?

OR and downhill you should be using almost exclusively rear brake. Its common if you overheat the brakes, actually something of a "self-defensive" measure. What you need to be concerned about is warping the rotor, and glazing the brake pad not the caliper or the fluid.

carrsgarage
Party Member
Party Member

Postby carrsgarage » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 am

Actually, this was just before the storm hit - I can't imagine what it looks like now!

I'm not really thrilled with the rear brakes. I've got to do some adjusting, because it seems like I've got to push an awful long way to get a decent response from the rear. I was attempting to use mostly rear brake, but the instep of my right foot was up against the intake, so it was a little difficult.
2006 GearUp
130 Main
45 Idle
Time-Serted Head Studs

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby berger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:55 am

The newer braided brake lines work well on my 07....stops better.
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

carrsgarage
Party Member
Party Member

Postby carrsgarage » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:59 am

I put a set of braided brake lines on my 1978 Suzuki GS1000 - holy cow, what a difference! It actually stops now.

Is the braided line a factory part, or do I have to order an aftermarket line?
2006 GearUp
130 Main
45 Idle
Time-Serted Head Studs

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby berger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:17 am

carrsgarage wrote:I put a set of braided brake lines on my 1978 Suzuki GS1000 - holy cow, what a difference! It actually stops now.

Is the braided line a factory part, or do I have to order an aftermarket line?

I bought one from a salvaged Ural, but any dealer should be able to sell you one. Bolted right onto my 07 MC, even though the new MC are slightly different.
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

Dwight
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:43 pm

carrsgarage wrote:This ever happen to anyone else, and what can I do to avoid this in the future (other than to stay off that road).
Happened to me on the Blue Ridge Parkway. TubaRick was in my sidecar and I was piloting during a BURP ride. Scared the hell out of me, but thankfully there was just enough grassy shoulder to get the sidecar wheel to bite, and there was a handy driveway cut-out that I was able to dive into.

I've been told that the best way to handle a long downhill stretch is to:

1) keep it in the low gears
2) When using the front brake, don't go for the "easy, gradual slow-down". Grab a handful of front brake, slow down quickly, then get out of the brake.

Dwight
'05 Tourist "Serenity" (We never forget our first...)
'93 Solo (She's gone West, but she'll never be forgotten...)
Ridin' the back roads of Apex and Holly Springs, NC
Visit my website: http://www.dwightrahl.com

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”