Broken Swingarm, happen alot?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Broken Swingarm, happen alot?

Postby Nuttymopar » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:34 am

I was finally able to bring the bike down to the dealership. They were surprised to see what it looked like. They did have on order a new swingarm and will check out the complete back. So hopefully within a couple of weeks, I'll be back riding down the road. I'll keep things posted on what they find out.
Scott
2013 Gear-Up, BLACK everything. 2-1 FMF, Kolpin muffs, Oxford heated grips.

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 am

I was looking at my swing arm to check for any problems and was surprised to see a difference. Where mine is welded it has an arc around the swing arm pivot. On yours it appears that the weld is straight. I wonder if they changed something in the process?
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

mgtibb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby mgtibb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:31 am

cdscoot wrote:I was looking at my swing arm to check for any problems and was surprised to see a difference. Where mine is welded it has an arc around the swing arm pivot. On yours it appears that the weld is straight. I wonder if they changed something in the process?

Are you looking at the right spot because I thought similarly at first.
2010 Ural Red October
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:54 pm

I still haven't heard anything from the dealer yet about this. I know they were waiting until the parts came in before they started working on it. I'm hoping next week that it will be completed and I'll probably have a good test for it on the way home. Don't really have any means to get it home other then driving it for 300 miles. Looks like about a 7 hour drive while mostly sticking to the secondary roads. 4 hours down to get it and 7 hour drive home, should be fun.... as long as it is a nice day. LOL
Scott

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby Albuquralque » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Good luck. Keep us posted..... :lurker:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm

mgtibb wrote:
cdscoot wrote:I was looking at my swing arm to check for any problems and was surprised to see a difference. Where mine is welded it has an arc around the swing arm pivot. On yours it appears that the weld is straight. I wonder if they changed something in the process?

Are you looking at the right spot because I thought similarly at first.

OOPS I was looking at the other end. The picture shows the connection back by where the shock mounts to the swing arm. I checked mine - its ok.
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:12 pm

finally got bike back on Friday. all seems well with it. new swingarm, driveshaft, donut. the donut seems a different type, not as thick as before and harder rubber. but drives good again. just in time to get 4 hour ride in before Irene's hurricane/tropical storm hit this weekend.
Scott

JamesG
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby JamesG » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Groovie!

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby Albuquralque » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Nuttymopar wrote:finally got bike back on Friday. all seems well with it. new swingarm, driveshaft, donut. the donut seems a different type, not as thick as before and harder rubber. but drives good again. just in time to get 4 hour ride in before Irene's hurricane/tropical storm hit this weekend.

Have fun riding it!!!

Might want to check with the dealer on which donut you got, the old style or the new style. The newer style donut doesn't last long and you will be replacing it again.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”