Broken Swingarm, happen alot?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Broken Swingarm, happen alot?

Postby Nuttymopar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 am

Out enjoying the day yesterday on a back dirt road. Went to stop and turn around and the rear suddenly locks up, almost like the motor/tranny just blew. I was able to rock it back/forth and got it to move some. Started it up just fine and went to turn around and then BAMM, it happened again only this time for good. Take a look around and noticed that the driveshaft had come out of the front puck (whatever it is called) and that is forcing the diff in a downward position pressing on the brake rod causing it to lock. Gotta love their safety features, shaft falls out, will lock tire....lol

Upon looking closer, the frame has seperated at the back of the swingarm on the right side, right in front of the shock mount and that part that holds the rear diff has pulled right out of the frame is hanging down binding up the rear diff and everything. Looked at the welds and they didn't look very welded to me. (have a call into dealership about this). Even looks as it might have broken awhile ago as it isn't shiney around the complete part, some brown but not really rust. But luckily I wasn't cruising down the road at 50 or so and have this happen. Not sure if the bumps on the road caused it to seperate or not. Been down that road before, normal dirt road with cars all day long.

And here I was worried about the nuts coming off the rear diff and that falling apart, like people have had.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
2013 Gear-Up, BLACK everything. 2-1 FMF, Kolpin muffs, Oxford heated grips.

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Broken Swingarm, happen alot?

Postby berger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 am

Wow! I have never seen that before. Glad you are alright. Is that supposed to be two pieces welded together anyway? I know that Mr. Cob had welded some gussets onto the supports that hold the sidecar, but I have never seen anything like that....

I hope they go over your bike with a fine toothed comb. That should not happen.
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby berger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 am

berger wrote: Is that supposed to be two pieces welded together anyway?

Just went out and looked at mine...it is where the arm connects to the wishbone that the FD bolts onto (had to see it)....bad welding 100%
Berger

Many, Many Mods.

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 am

Yeah, it surprised me to say the least. Considering I have cruised over many dirt roads, have flown the chair a few times, driven on a couple of logging roads, tested 2wd in fields and such. To have this snap while doing 6 mph coming to a stop. Looks easy enough to fix, if I need to, but want them to check it out first. Just stinks so far away, no dealers in VT. I may end up buying a trailer hitch for the car, just to rent a trailer to bring it them. Only have about 3300 kms on the bike.
Scott

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby berger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am

Nuttymopar wrote:Just stinks so far away, no dealers in VT. I may end up buying a trailer hitch for the car, just to rent a trailer to bring it them. Only have about 3300 kms on the bike.

What about Bill at VT???

http://www.vturalcycles.com/index.html
Berger

Many, Many Mods.

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 am

Still about 4 hours away. They are from Maine, bought the bike at Ural of New England (uralne.com). Other dealer is in Glenn Falls, NY (AdirondackUral.com). Still about 4 hours away. I'm just stuck in the middle of nowhere. NOW would be a good time to start a Ural business in VT...lol

They have been pretty good at Uralne.com. They have shipped a couple of things to me for warranty replace without a problem but feel this will need to be looked at and checked for any bending of the swingarm on the other side or checking the FD to make sure it is happy. Tire and FD is pretty crooked on how it sits. Doesn't help, this time, having 2wd. That extra driveshaft really puts the pressure on the parts so it isn't easy to just slip back into place.
Scott

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 am

Jeez, that's a first.
Somebody didn't inspect that weld. Glad your ok.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby immulmen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am

"but feel this will need to be looked at and checked for any bending of the swingarm on the other side"
Check the drive parts but why check the swing arm?????? It needs to be replaced.
Chris
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:39 pm

In looking at the other side where the axle goes through, it looks slightly bent due to the force of the FD going down and twisting. Not sure if it is or optical illusion.

I would think that these are welded from the factory onto the swing arm. So I don't know if they would just weld it on or replace the complete swing arm.
Scott

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 pm

I would definitely take it in to dealer or closest Ural shop. Under warranty they might replace/fix more than just the swing arm. I'm guessing a lot of other things could have been tweaked, damaged by your swing arm breaking like that.
The dealer will get in contact with IMZ-Ural and come up with the best plan. IMHO
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Msblu79

Postby Msblu79 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:56 pm

That is a very serious failure and you are very fortunate not to have been injured or even killed had that happened at speed. I personally would demand complete replacement of the entire FD, swingarm, shocks, driveshafts, and anything related. If they are not tripping over themselves to help you out I would take up the issue with NHTSA or a consumer protection agency. I don't like being a dickhead about most issues but this is beyond an acceptable typical warranty problem, this was a life threatning situation IMHO. You have to wonder about the quality control here and who's bike is next? :(
I just checked mine and the paint around those welds is cracked and chipping off indicating movement or flexing in the weld joints, I will be watching this closely. :o
2010 Black Patrol

mgtibb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby mgtibb » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:06 pm

BlackRussian wrote:That is a very serious failure and you are very fortunate not to have been injured or even killed had that happened at speed. I personally would demand complete replacement of the entire FD, swingarm, shocks, driveshafts, and anything related. If they are not tripping over themselves to help you out I would take up the issue with NHTSA or a consumer protection agency. I don't like being a dickhead about most issues but this is beyond an acceptable typical warranty problem, this was a life threatning situation IMHO. You have to wonder about the quality control here and who's bike is next? :(
I just checked mine and the paint around those welds is cracked and chipping off indicating movement or flexing in the weld joints, I will be watching this closely. :o

+1
2010 Ural Red October
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm

I have talked to them and they were concerned about what happened. I sent them a couple of pictures which they said they were going to forward those onto headquarters. I plan on talking more with my digital compared to cell phone. I'm not going to touch anything and just need to get that down to them. That probably won't happen for a couple of weeks due to my scheduling but they are looking forward to seeing what really happened, failure of something or bad welds. Looking quickly, looks like welds to me on that side. So hopefully, people should at least check for any cracking on yours.

Ural will go LEFT if it does lock up.... just as a heads up.
Scott

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeow! This has been a very rare occurance on urals. I will check mine! :shock:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

Postby Darkblood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Maybe that's only a problem with the shiny 2011 orange and silver patrols... :roll:
Checked my and even did some prying no issues but after seeing that picture very nearly fired up my welder to lay down a bead....still might.
Glad you are o.k. I'd try to get Ural NE to come and pick it up since you can't get it to them reasonably due to it being FUBAR'd.
Good luck....maybe you could get them to set you up with a 2012 model... :lol:
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”