'99 650 Timing gear replacement

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
xpatriot
Party Member
Party Member

Re: '99 650 Timing gear replacement

Postby xpatriot » Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

I'll try snakeoil, I don't have anything to check for straight, but might give jay bird a visit and I think he can. Thanks for the info, I wouldn't be very surprised if something happened during manufacturing as I was told the bike ran up till the timing gears blew out and cracked the case....to me that makes it less likely it was bent due to being hydrolocked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 650 in pieces on my garage floor

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Postby Claus » Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 am

Sorry guys that I used the wrong term for taper. The German word for taper is Konus. I sometimes should use a translator program to check what I´m writing...
Rob, I reckon, your suggestion about bending the crank putting the engine together is very likeley. I heat up the housing prior to installing the crank and mount all parts with the right temperature difference so I don´t need a single hammer blow. The only thing I do is to tap the crank twice from the front and the back after installing the flywheel with a recoilless plastic mallet (is that the right term for a mallet filled with sand or lead balls?) to sofly seat it and take any stress off the crank. After those soft blows is can be revolved with nearly no resistance. And I always use bearings with C3 bearing clearance to cope with very light bending of the crank (0,03mm respectively 0.0011 ")

xpatriot, you were lucky your parts went off so easy.That´s great!
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar

xpatriot
Party Member
Party Member

Postby xpatriot » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 am

Claus, thanks for all the information and your English is very good! I know exactly what you mean when describing the hammer.

Thanks to other who helped with advice and pointers. I’ll let everyone know how the rebuild goes.
99 650 in pieces on my garage floor

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”