HELP?! My 2011 Ural Patrol just died!

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
mexican
Comrade
Comrade

Re: HELP?! My 2011 Ural Patrol just died!

Postby mexican » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 am

Sorry about your breakdown, great cause for ALTZ
My mom had that before she passed away in 2009.

BTW how many miles/KM did you have on bike?
Central Texas Hill Country
2011 Gear_Up
2007 Vmax

rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rougaroo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Doesn't help now, but these bikes (and airheads in general) like higher revs and hate being lugged. Lugging them is an almost-certain route to a crank failure. A lot of folks get up in 4th and then just stay there, even when speed/rpm's drop.

Riding in the beautiful country you describe, I'd be in third and maybe even second most of the time going uphill, using the high end of the gear range.

You may have been doing that anyway, so I'm not being critical. Just bringing up a cautionary note for Uralistas climbing up hills.

Very worthy cause! I agree with Gobium - talk to Jason at IMZ in Redmond. If that doesn't work, talk real sweetly to Gobium himself.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Olga, sorry for your troubles. Pulling a crank is not that hard. Reassembly of course is a different matter. Think you can save a dime by pulling the engine and pulling the crank. Buy the new crank and then take the engine casing to a machinist shops and see if they can rest the new crank. As Van has pointed out..................it is not rocket science.

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm

don't think wrestling a Ural engine out of the frame ,and pulling out the crank and reassembly, is what Olga is looking to do, IMHO, she is looking for viable options at this point. :|
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm

All old cranks must die horrible death
Long live the D10 crankshaft

Olga
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Olga » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 am

mexican wrote:Sorry about your breakdown, great cause for ALTZ
My mom had that before she passed away in 2009.

BTW how many miles/KM did you have on bike?

Sorry to hear about your mom. It is difficult disease.

My Ural has 28k kilometers on her.
2011 Ural Patrol "Olga" Strong like an ox, stubborn as a mule
2016 Husqvarna FE501
Central Washington
LIFE IS AN OPEN ROAD, ONLY YOU CAN CHOOSE THE DIRECTION.
www.donnireddington.com

Olga
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Olga » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 am

rougaroo wrote:Doesn't help now, but these bikes (and airheads in general) like higher revs and hate being lugged. Lugging them is an almost-certain route to a crank failure. A lot of folks get up in 4th and then just stay there, even when speed/rpm's drop.

Riding in the beautiful country you describe, I'd be in third and maybe even second most of the time going uphill, using the high end of the gear range.

You may have been doing that anyway, so I'm not being critical. Just bringing up a cautionary note for Uralistas climbing up hills.

Very worthy cause! I agree with Gobium - talk to Jason at IMZ in Redmond. If that doesn't work, talk real sweetly to Gobium himself.

Rougaroo

Good points. I blame my dad cause his extra weight! :o I definitely don't lug it but I probably don't get the RPM's as high as you suggested. Good to know this about Urals, they can take the extra rev. I plan to call Jason tomorrow and then next week take it in to Bellingham or the Redmond shop??? We'll see who has the best plan.
2016 Husqvarna FE501
Central Washington
www.donnireddington.com

Olga
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Olga » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 am

hotflash44 wrote:don't think wrestling a Ural engine out of the frame ,and pulling out the crank and reassembly, is what Olga is looking to do, IMHO, she is looking for viable options at this point. :|

Wow, are you psychic?! You know me well, that really is the last thing I want to do, UNLESS some educated Uralisist wants to help me?? Anyone available in WA state, I will drive Olga myself and be your wing woman. It will be fun! This would make great footage for the documentary from our RIDE4ALZHEIMERS trip as well!! Any takers?! :boogie:
2016 Husqvarna FE501
Central Washington
www.donnireddington.com

Olga
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Olga » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 am

WEGUNTER wrote:Olga, sorry for your troubles. Pulling a crank is not that hard. Reassembly of course is a different matter. Think you can save a dime by pulling the engine and pulling the crank. Buy the new crank and then take the engine casing to a machinist shops and see if they can rest the new crank. As Van has pointed out..................it is not rocket science.

Yes, read my reply to Hotflash 44, he's right, I really can't do this myself unless I had help and my partner is working away most of the summer so he's out! I would love to learn how, I can take things apart really well but I would be screwed trying to put them back together by myself! I'm not good with reading directions, I get to impatient, thats why I never shop at IKEA!!! But I can follow verbal directions really well though!
2016 Husqvarna FE501
Central Washington
www.donnireddington.com

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:36 am

Olga, your in Ural Heaven,a play on words,Redmond Washington is where IMZ the mother ship is housed. Surely in your area,there is someone that is qualified to resurrect Olga! at a reasonable price. Our member that contacted you Gobium/AKA Van Harper lives on the east coast offered to fly out and fix Olga,you might research his proposal a little, as he is very qualified to do the repair. of course as usual this advice is IMHO. good luck!
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Olga
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Olga » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:12 am

Update: Jason at Ural shared the news w/ me today that Olga has been healed, her lower end bearing failed and caused the engine to lock up. I will pick her up next week! We've got some catching up to do. Thanks for everyone's opinions & advice! It helped steer me in the right direction.
2016 Husqvarna FE501
Central Washington
www.donnireddington.com

brianural

Postby brianural » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:30 am

Glad to hear it wasn't crank, albeit cost to repair a failed bearing ain't cheap, but less costly than crank replacement. Hope you get many more KMs on this rebuild.
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 (bought in pieces, oh crap what have I done) Hope to have on road in 2018

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Hmmmm.. main bearing caused the engine to seize? Did they replace the crank? If so, did you mean big end or connecting rod bearing? That I could see causing a seizure. Not sure I see a main causing seizure.

Please elaborate, Olga. And glad to hear you are back on the road. :cheers:
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:27 pm

What a great ending (or beginning again) to this story! Bravo to IMZ for stepping in on this - :cheers: :cheers:

Look forward to reading a continuation of your ride for a very good cause.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:00 pm

IMZ has be the best support of any motorcycle brand bar none.

Glad to hear Olga is back on the road; that is one gorgeous Ural.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”