WTB a carb for my 05 Retro (Keihin CVK-32)

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
vinsonj
Party Member
Party Member

WTB a carb for my 05 Retro (Keihin CVK-32)

Postby vinsonj » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Just looking for one, used or new....If you've got a spare one, let me know how much you want for it....thanks

mauricedonini
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: WTB a carb for my 05 Retro (Keihin CVK-32)

Postby mauricedonini » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi,

Is there anything special about the carb that makes it Ural specific (other than the rubber fittings)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-car ... -V&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps.
Maurice

2013 Red October Ural Tourist (Gone)
2005 Tangelo Pearl Ural Tourist (Gone)

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Postby rivers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:48 pm

A good place to check would be Terry Crawford or Holopaw Gene. Email and phone should be on the web sites. Phone is likely better than email.
http://www.crawfordsales.info
http://holopawural.com/index.html
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

vinsonj
Party Member
Party Member

Postby vinsonj » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...I was hoping someone might have a used one they weren't using, instead of forking $400 for a new one.....we'll see though

rivers

Postby rivers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

vinsonj wrote:Thanks for the suggestions...I was hoping someone might have a used one they weren't using, instead of forking $400 for a new one.....we'll see though

Yeah figured you wanted used, that's why the suggestion. It's a place to start and both guys are honest guys to deal with.
Joe
014 GU

mattzahr

Postby mattzahr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Also Dave Clark HTTP://www.abcbmw.com He has all types of stuff around the shop....
'16 cT - Terracotta
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

eastbloc

Postby eastbloc » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm

What happened to yours that you need a new one?
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

vinsonj
Party Member
Party Member

Postby vinsonj » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 am

eastbloc wrote:What happened to yours that you need a new one?

I have had persistent problems with the left carb (float bowl getting stuck and flooding the left cylinder several times, and the latest issue of the bike bogging down after reaching higher RPM's in any gear). I've taken it to the shop here in town several times, they take the carb apart, clean it, replace the fuel lines and filters, and even replaced the jets with smaller ones. It works for a few months, but it progressively gets worse until I can barely climb hills or go faster than 45mph. I'm hoping I can stop wasting money troubleshooting this carb and by replacing it everything will be good to go again.

eastbloc

Postby eastbloc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am

It may not be the carb. Check your compliance fittings (or just replace them) — they are prone to failure and resulting false air will cause the symptom you are having.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

rivers

Postby rivers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 pm

vinsonj wrote:

I have had persistent problems with the left carb (float bowl getting stuck and flooding the left cylinder several times, and the latest issue of the bike bogging down after reaching higher RPM's in any gear). I've taken it to the shop here in town several times, they take the carb apart, clean it, replace the fuel lines and filters, and even replaced the jets with smaller ones. It works for a few months, but it progressively gets worse until I can barely climb hills or go faster than 45mph. I'm hoping I can stop wasting money troubleshooting this carb and by replacing it everything will be good to go again.

It's flooding the cyl so they replace fuel line, filter and jets??? So now you've got different jetting in each carb? Plan A would be stay the hell away from that shop. Let'em guess with somebody else's money... sheesh :shock: Do it yourself... you know as much about the carb as your shop does. If you suspect the floats are hanging up verify that they are. Check for holed leaking/sinking float, check for float needle and seat integrity. Oh and put your original jets back in so they match the other carb otherwise you'll "never" get your motor tuned correctly.
Check with UNE in MA. They have a thread parting out an 011(?) Ural.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50115
Joe
014 GU

vinsonj
Party Member
Party Member

Postby vinsonj » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:09 pm

rivers wrote:
vinsonj wrote:

It's flooding the cyl so they replace fuel line, filter and jets??? So now you've got different jetting in each carb? Plan A would be stay the hell away from that shop. Let'em guess with somebody else's money... sheesh :shock: Do it yourself... you know as much about the carb as your shop does. If you suspect the floats are hanging up verify that they are. Check for holed leaking/sinking float, check for float needle and seat integrity. Oh and put your original jets back in so they match the other carb otherwise you'll "never" get your motor tuned correctly.
Check with UNE in MA. They have a thread parting out an 011(?) Ural.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50115

The flooding hasn't happened in a while (imagine it was some sort of debris that found it's way in and messed with the float bowl or something.....hasn't been a problem since they were cleaned). As for the jets, they replaced all of them, not just the left carb. I'm only assuming it's the left carb that's causing the current issue, since it was the one that was flooding the cylinder as well. Thanks for the link on the bikes getting parted out...I'm checking to see how much they want for the 2011 carbs :)

vinsonj
Party Member
Party Member

Postby vinsonj » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:14 pm

eastbloc wrote:It may not be the carb. Check your compliance fittings (or just replace them) — they are prone to failure and resulting false air will cause the symptom you are having.

Thanks for the suggestion....is it best to just replace them, or is there a way to test and verify they are the cause?

eastbloc

Postby eastbloc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:06 am

On slide carbs like Pekar or Mikuni VMs, running the enricher circuit will improve the lean condition caused by leaky intake fittings. I don’t have enough experience with the CVKs to say if they will behave similarly.

If you haven’t replaced the fittings yet I would just go ahead and do it. They’re a consumable part for sure and need replacing more frequently than other rubber bits on account of the heat and chemical exposure.

The faster you go the more vacuum leaks will affect your fuel mixture and performance - it fits with your symptoms.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

4REICH

Postby 4REICH » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 am

I had a flooding/intermediate low power issue. I replaced jets, float and valve, adjusted float height soaked em and emptied compressor tanks of air. Turned out the vent on one of the cvk's was capped off. It must breathe properly or it will leak
13 Ural ST solo
94 solo

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby pigdog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm

vinsonj wrote:
eastbloc wrote:It may not be the carb. Check your compliance fittings (or just replace them) — they are prone to failure and resulting false air will cause the symptom you are having.

Thanks for the suggestion....is it best to just replace them, or is there a way to test and verify they are the cause?

You can test them by starting the bike and then spraying wd-40/ carb cleaner/ etc. on the fittings. If the idle changes, the fittings are bad. But as said by someone else, they are a consumable item for Urals, never hurts to have done laying around.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

Return to “The Black Market”